Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch Question - Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:48 AM
M6SXTZ
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, i might want to finish reading the thread (1/2 way though) but i think whether the clutch is stiff or not isnt really the issue when choosing a clutch, what you are really looking for is that butter smooth transition. (ok, 2:46am, going to bed)

in any case, what might be the best clutch if deciding to go FI (max 450 whp)??????
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 AM
Racer_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are going to go FI you are def going to want a upgraded clutch, perferably a 3 - 6 puck, i am kinda preferential to ACT myself, have owned two of them in two different cars which i dove HARD, FI/spray, and i loved them, the only reason they can be harder to drive is if you dont have alot of touch to your clutch as in you dont make the transition well so you dump the clutch alot, with an upgraded clutch(ceramic in particular) it is either gripping or not, so the power will put your *** into the back of the seat if you give it too much... can make stops on steep hills a little nerve racking when you has a mini van up your *** and are on the snow.... haha... just my 2 cents
Old 02-13-2008, 02:44 AM
Racer_X

Originally Posted by M6SXTZ
sorry, i might want to finish reading the thread (1/2 way though) but i think whether the clutch is stiff or not isnt really the issue when choosing a clutch, what you are really looking for is that butter smooth transition. (ok, 2:46am, going to bed)

in any case, what might be the best clutch if deciding to go FI (max 450 whp)??????

also, most clutches are set by torque... not HP, so unless your a 10 second racer, i would say a stage two clutch of most brands would be good, but def shop online, you can always find it cheaper there, and then pay someone to put it in.... keep in mind that not putting a STOCK Nissan clutch in, will probly void your warranty on anything two steps from it on either side...
Old 10-01-2008, 12:26 PM
thenextbillgate

Okay, so it's 10 months later now, and I've been driving it all this time with the slip.

Yesterday, got in the car and the clutch was on the floor. Managed to get it to the dealer where they finally are replacing the Slave Cylinder. Going to push for a whole new clutch if it still slips. Keep ya posted.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 AM
R-TuneZ

Originally Posted by Racer_X
also, most clutches are set by torque... not HP, so unless your a 10 second racer, i would say a stage two clutch of most brands would be good, but def shop online, you can always find it cheaper there, and then pay someone to put it in.... keep in mind that not putting a STOCK Nissan clutch in, will probly void your warranty on anything two steps from it on either side...
what are you talking about? who told you that...
Old 10-04-2008, 06:35 AM
thenextbillgate

FINALLY!!! The dealer FINALLY agreed to put in a new clutch under warranty!!!! It's getting installed this week :-)
Old 10-04-2008, 07:39 AM
st8king

Just read the whole post glad to hear how it worked out for you.

Rich
Old 10-15-2008, 07:14 AM
urbancamoM7

nice. congrats on getting it replaced. mine slipped for the first time last week when i dumped the clutch from a light and i slammed it in second...nothing happened in second except a whole lot of burnt clutch smell. i think i just glazed it a bit though because it hasn't slipped since and the burnt smell went away. does that glaze eventually wear off with enough easy use?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:03 PM
steroid

Originally Posted by thenextbillgate
Hey guys,

I have an 05 Z with 19k. I got it with 7k on what I'm pretty sure where stock tires (so I'm assuming not abused). I don't drive all that aggressively, but yesterday it was raining, and since I usually don't have it out in the rain, I decided to have some fun.

I did a few donuts in parking lot, then went to pull onto the street. I revved it, released the clutch and pulled into the street. The tires were spinning, and I shifted into 2nd...I *thought* the tires were spinning, until I shifted into third, then fourth with no grab...that's when I realized it was the clutch. I smelled it soon after. Today I took it for a short drive, no aggressive driving, and when I arrived, I could smell the clutch again, although the clutch seems to operate normally.

Its done it to me on dry pavement a few times when downshifting and trying to take off quickly, but I always thought maybe I hadn't released the pedal completely...

I've searched the board, but still have some questions:

Is this 'slipping' normal, and is it something I need to take to the dealer for warranty work? Will they try to blame it on me? How will they reproduce?
something similar like this happen to me..instead of donuts i did a burnout..and now it been 2 days and i smell the burnt clutch after i get done drivin the car but the clutch isnt slippin and now i got to wait till monday so i can go in the dealer ship
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM
NissanDrifter06

Originally Posted by thenextbillgate
FINALLY!!! The dealer FINALLY agreed to put in a new clutch under warranty!!!! It's getting installed this week :-)
awewsome, i need to get my dealership to replace mine..only during hard launches is when the clutch sinks to the floor for a few seconds..im replacing the slave cylinder this weekend and changing out my clutch line to a steel braided. hope this helps it..
Old 04-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's been a long time but HOW did you get them to replace it under warranty? I bought one from the snakes at Boulder Nissan in Colorado. It was only one year old with 9,000 miles on it, but immediately noticed some chattering, took it to the dealer they replaced the LSD which was bad. That eliminated about 90% of the chatter at launch, but I kept bringing it in for them to check it out, but they could never duplicate it. Finally after about 30,000 miles they acknowledged it had the chatter, but would not fix it under warranty. I took it all they way to NISSAN. I have owned 5 Nissans(4 new) and they basically told me to get laid, even thoug the used one I bougt was from a Nissan dealer and complained about it literally 5 days after buying it.

It would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a JWT combo BUT I am afraid I will hate the cement mixer sound.

I now have 40,000 miles on the car and the clutch doesn't shudder when I launch anymore, but it's probably becasue the clutch is wearing out since I always had to launch at 1500+ rpms to keep it from shaking my teeth out on start.