Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Do Grounding Kit Really work!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Nismo350Z_00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried the grounding kit and it sucked, lol. Then i got a GT-R Voltage stabilizer and i just noticed that all of my electrical/sound system stuff ran smoother...and my headlights/interior lights dont dim when my system hits.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
nismo240r

yeah i've got the sunautomobile voltage stabilizer. . .i didn't bother using the wires. . .i'll use them in the s14. . .
Old 12-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

they look kinda cool
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM
One Quick Z

I've installed grounding kits on two different cars (friends cars) and during both installs we checked the voltage going to the amps with the ignition in the ACC position and in the RUN position. Both cars showed absolutely 0 difference in voltage with/without the grounding kit. We tested the voltage both at the amps and also at the cigarette lighter.

The cars were an automatic 01 IS300 and a 6speed 94 3000gt VR4. Neither car showed an improvement in performance.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont believe in the grounding wires hype _BUT_ check out the single ground wire connection that the 350Z does have to the body. It has a green painted bolt and the body is painted where the strap is attached.

So I did not do a grounding kit but I did replace the strap and bolt and sanded down the paint at point of contact. Then once it was back together I brushed some paint around it to keep out the moisture.

For my trouble I eliminated my radio noise and that was about it.

Chris
Old 12-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Maybe

http://www.partslandnagoya.com/dps.htm

Thats what I have.........

Last edited by Jay'Z; 12-31-2007 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:00 AM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I dont believe in the grounding wires hype _BUT_ check out the single ground wire connection that the 350Z does have to the body. It has a green painted bolt and the body is painted where the strap is attached.

So I did not do a grounding kit but I did replace the strap and bolt and sanded down the paint at point of contact. Then once it was back together I brushed some paint around it to keep out the moisture.

For my trouble I eliminated my radio noise and that was about it.

Chris
THAT is absolutely sound and backed up by science. Which bolt was it? A physical location or a pic would be fine.

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Maybe

http://www.partslandnagoya.com/dps.htm

Thats what I have.........
You're joking, right?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:02 AM
ghost

I don't really know, but my car has one.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Monsta

Received 261 Likes on 197 Posts

It’s just a matter of trying it.

Before I seen the “know-it-alls” claim that it did not work, I built one from a thread’s instructions and noticed an improvement in the way my car revved on the first drive.

Some things you should believe on this forum, but some things doesn’t really hurt to try. If YOU don’t see an improvement, you still dressed your engine bay up.

Cars react to different modifications differently, so why can’t this be one of em?
Old 01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

[QUOTE=undrgnd]THAT is absolutely sound and backed up by science. Which bolt was it? A physical location or a pic would be fine.

Just pull up the plastic around the battery and follow the grounding wire to the body (its about 8" long) and there it is.

Thinking about it though, I never did look to see how the engine grounding strap was attached to the body, if it is attached in a similar fashion as the battery side, the grounding kit may show improvement because it would offer a good ground. All you really need is one good ground to the body and another to the motor, not 5, 6, or 9 of them though.

I'll have to check this out during my next oil change day.

Chris
Old 01-01-2008, 05:29 PM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by Monsta
It’s just a matter of trying it.

Before I seen the “know-it-alls” claim that it did not work, I built one from a thread’s instructions and noticed an improvement in the way my car revved on the first drive.

Some things you should believe on this forum, but some things doesn’t really hurt to try. If YOU don’t see an improvement, you still dressed your engine bay up.

Cars react to different modifications differently, so why can’t this be one of em?
Because the laws of physics and electricity apply equally to every car. So, unless there is something already wrong with your ground wiring (old and corroded?), you'd be wasting your money, and you will NOT see any difference. A platic-coated copper contraption that looks like it belongs in Frankenstein's lab, all over a state of the art V6 engine, dresses it up? Oooookay, it's your car...
Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM
SiNzz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
but besides looking like an octopus has invaded your engine compartment, they are a waste of money.

LOL. Also, alot of these grounding kits seem pretty damn expensive (Isn't it like $120 for the HKS kit?). Might as well put that money towards something more productive.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Sleepy79

With all the sensors coil packs and all the other electrical gizmos in these engines I would have a hard time believing that a manufacturer would skimp out with their grounding.
The only grounding I might consider is a braided ground strap. High electrical frequency travels on the outside of the wire and this can help reduce electrical noise. These are usually located on your exhaust or chassis to engine block.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:35 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't really understand why it makes as large a difference as it does, but on the 5AT it does seem to. The car has an elaborate grounding system already in place with multiple attachment points, so i dunno, but the stock grounding wires are all pretty small. Take a look at Gord's huge grounding wire thread in the review section (either here or on g35driver - can't recall). I bought it on a whim and was skeptical, but grounding the transmission casing did make a difference in shifts. 6MT folks apparently don't notice much change from additional grounding wires...

Last edited by rcdash; 01-02-2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

THAT is absolutely sound and backed up by science. Which bolt was it? A physical location or a pic would be fine.

You're joking, right?

Does it look like im joking .. Read my SIG.. I could care less what others say.... I have a Volt meter gauge and it reads a hell of alot higher than it did prior to the mod.. It also brightened up my Lights and doesnt let my sound system drain my battery when i blast it anymore.. As far as performance, who knows.. I dont really care though..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 01-02-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Monsta

Because the laws of physics and electricity apply equally to every car. So, unless there is something already wrong with your ground wiring (old and corroded?), you'd be wasting your money, and you will NOT see any difference. A platic-coated copper contraption that looks like it belongs in Frankenstein's lab, all over a state of the art V6 engine, dresses it up? Oooookay, it's your car...

You’re right. It’s MY CAR!!!

I did not use the redneck-make-a-buck kit. I built mine from instructions using 4 AG car audio power wire.

Maybe it didn’t work for you but I noticed a difference. I’m only saying that it wouldn’t hurt to try it. It’s not your money so let em. Even is DuMa350Z doesn’t notice a difference, he will see one.

So calm down.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:34 PM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Does it look like im joking .. Read my SIG.. I could care less what others say.... I have a Volt meter gauge and it reads a hell of alot higher than it did prior to the mod.. It also brightened up my Lights and doesnt let my sound system drain my battery when i blast it anymore.. As far as performance, who knows.. I dont really care though..
Based on your reply above, you know absolutely nothing about electrical theory, and your conclusions are contradictory and illogical. You would be wise to read up on the subject or take advice from someone who knows more than you.

Originally Posted by Monsta
You’re right. It’s MY CAR!!!

I did not use the redneck-make-a-buck kit. I built mine from instructions using 4 AG car audio power wire.

Maybe it didn’t work for you but I noticed a difference. I’m only saying that it wouldn’t hurt to try it. It’s not your money so let em. Even is DuMa350Z doesn’t notice a difference, he will see one.

So calm down.
I'm calm. I'm not the one who spent $120 on some wiring to ugly up my engine bay. There can be no performance gains unless your car already has a wiring problem, in which case a replacement strap would be just as good and much cheaper. That's a fact. What you do with it is up to you.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:43 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grounding kits are placebo mods. only those who dont know that they dont do a damn thing would ever think that it did in fact do something.

even then, even **IF** the factory grounding isnt enough... why would you think that you need like 12 more? I see grounding kits snaking around entire engine bays and just shake my head and continue working.

my car has a single additional ground strap, just 1. i put it on there only because i found it laying around the shop, probably left over from a customers build.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Monsta

I'm calm. I'm not the one who spent $120 on some wiring to ugly up my engine bay. There can be no performance gains unless your car already has a wiring problem, in which case a replacement strap would be just as good and much cheaper. That's a fact. What you do with it is up to you.
Neither am I.

And you are right again. I'ts up to me.

SMDH
Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Mazinger Z

Undergrnd = hates grounding kits with a vengeance. Did they kill your parents or something? LOL

Quick Reply: Do Grounding Kit Really work!