Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

South Bend clutches

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:22 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default South Bend clutches

Just wondering if anyone here is running one of South Bend's clutches? I have heard pretty good stuff about them as far as being able to handle lots of torque while still retaining drivability.

Also, if any of you are using a SB clutch, what flywheel did you mate it with?

Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 AM
joshua350z6841

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have any input on this would like to know myself
Old 11-18-2012, 01:04 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i run the highest rated full face they make, its not bad on the street but i have the rjm bracket. mine started to slip at 601 ft lbs of torque at the wheels and since they have down rated the clutch a little and between them and concept z they had a custom 6 puck sent to me for free but havnt had a chance to install it yet.
mated to fidenza/jwt flywheel
Old 11-18-2012, 03:56 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jerryd87
i run the highest rated full face they make, its not bad on the street but i have the rjm bracket. mine started to slip at 601 ft lbs of torque at the wheels and since they have down rated the clutch a little and between them and concept z they had a custom 6 puck sent to me for free but havnt had a chance to install it yet.
mated to fidenza/jwt flywheel

You don't have the highest rated southbend. There is a extreme series above yours, custom order though

Did you ever complete the break in on it? I know last time it had very low miles in it and is most likely the reason it was slipping at 600ish. That clutch (stage 5) will hold well over that power after complete break in.

There are options that we can do for people and custom build a clutch for them , something we've done for a long time with South Bend.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is that a full face though, was my understanding they dint have anything better for full face? i broke it in more(4k miles on it now) while keeping it out of boost and got a little better but not much mayby 10 ft lbs of torque tops, i have to keep the boost under 20 psi still. i have the new 6 puck that is custom built and i can see it holding alot more it seems to be a different material(based on color) and only mayby 1/3rd the contact area.

for the price though i really cant complain they really came through with customer service, and the price is a fraction of what something like a carbonetics triple or rps twin would cost new. also have to figure southbend rates it at 690 at the engine, when i dynoed before that is ~720 at the engine i was making when it was slipping it might be around 730-740 now after some more break in but when i take it out its getting alot of power applied repeatedly and it has been said the clutch ratings are at 70 degrees, it stays 85 in hawaii plus it gets hot enough that i see my exhuast glowing through the holes cut in my hood.........through heat wrap so i cant really complain hoping the 6 puck will help keep it cooler and provide a large boost in holding power. supposedly what i have now is guaranteed to hold at least 825 ft lbs of torque.
Originally Posted by CuztompartZ
You don't have the highest rated southbend. There is a extreme series above yours, custom order though

Did you ever complete the break in on it? I know last time it had very low miles in it and is most likely the reason it was slipping at 600ish. That clutch (stage 5) will hold well over that power after complete break in.

There are options that we can do for people and custom build a clutch for them , something we've done for a long time with South Bend.

Last edited by jerryd87; 11-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Nealoc187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my buddy's running SBCs highest rated full face feramic clutch as well on his Z. it held well at around 540tq on mickey DRs for the one full pass he made on it (broke an axle on the next pass so we didn't really get a chance to test it much lol).