Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

valve train upgrade needed for n/a cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM
baby_ruiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve train upgrade needed for n/a cam upgrade

**mods feel free to lock this and post a link to a thread with the answer bc i couldnt find one***

question: i am installing tomei 264 cams on my 03 and was wondering do i NEED to upgrade valve train to rev to 7200rpms?

i know it would be the best case to upgrade but i dont plan on doing much more with this car since i have a ls2 that responds better to mods for the money and i got these cams for an amazing deal brand new.

thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:12 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i would at least get heavy duty valvesprings for the extra revving...
Old 01-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eltness350
i would at least get heavy duty valvesprings for the extra revving...
+1...some simple JWT spring/shim kits would work, and they are cheap. We have them in stock, if you need them shipped out. http://www.forgedperformance.com/sto...5&cat=0&page=1
$219 forum special shipped.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

It is so much work to put cams in these cars, that I wouldn't scrimp on the valve springs...

Valve float is a killer...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:45 PM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by __jb
It is so much work to put cams in these cars, that I wouldn't scrimp on the valve springs...

Valve float is a killer...
thanks for the input guys...thats what i figured...just thought i would double check, rather do it right the first time then have to fix problems in the future. i am going to go with JWT and have that order lined up.

i use the shop i bring my GTO to, which is a lsX shop, so the vq stuff is a whole different ball park for them.

ill post dynos and vids when the goodies get in, ive been only impressed with Eli's tuning ability his first two go arounds on utec how i wish we had hp tuner, much cheaper and user friendly!

and does the revup and non revup share the same valve train?

Last edited by baby_ruiner; 01-08-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:08 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by baby_ruiner
thanks for the input guys...thats what i figured...just thought i would double check, rather do it right the first time then have to fix problems in the future. i am going to go with JWT and have that order lined up.

i use the shop i bring my GTO to, which is a lsX shop, so the vq stuff is a whole different ball park for them.

ill post dynos and vids when the goodies get in, ive been only impressed with Eli's tuning ability his first two go arounds on utec how i wish we had hp tuner, much cheaper and user friendly!

and does the revup and non revup share the same valve train?
yeah it'll be interesting to see a before/after dyno with Cams involved...most of those are only testing breather mods. Let us know everything you have done to the car if you post a thread about it.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:59 AM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
yeah it'll be interesting to see a before/after dyno with Cams involved...most of those are only testing breather mods. Let us know everything you have done to the car if you post a thread about it.
will do...im actually gonna hopefully get in on the install and learn a thing or two if i have time. ill probably tune the goat and z on the same day so ill make a video of both. man the z is going to look slow next to a 475whp n/a gto
Old 01-09-2008, 01:36 PM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post the sheet for the GTO.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Post the sheet for the GTO.
this i will. the shop is sending out the heads for some work this week and should take two weeks to get them back we havent picked a cam out but there are enough lying around the shop to pick from. go big or go home!
Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by baby_ruiner
will do...im actually gonna hopefully get in on the install and learn a thing or two if i have time. ill probably tune the goat and z on the same day so ill make a video of both. man the z is going to look slow next to a 475whp n/a gto
take em both through curves, videotape the goat almost tipping over with excessive body roll with the tires squallerin, redeem the Z
Old 01-10-2008, 10:35 AM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
take em both through curves, videotape the goat almost tipping over with excessive body roll with the tires squallerin, redeem the Z
the amazing thing about the goat is it actually handles very well (ie drift goat, scca goat, its just that most goat owners have a domestic mentality(sp) and dont understand how to turn). it has the vette suspension and brakes. the GA z's go to the mtns and the z's and g's didnt pull away from the goat. and it actually drifts quiet nicely, but not like a Z.