Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Please review my mod list :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 05:25 AM
realdealg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks again fellas! I'll be looking into cams with specs I can use with the stock motor (hopefully )

$12K (more/less) for JWT and built motor was just a general ballpark of parts and labor - I've got buddies that said they could give me a deal on some JWT parts and some who build engines. It's just something I'm not interested in at the moment for my G.

Thanks again for all of the help guys! I'll keep the cam info in mind
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
if only they made the 280/272 combo for my Z >.<
Well Tomei makes a 280 deg cam and 272 deg cam for the VQ. To be completely honest I don't know if anyone has ever tried to mix camshaft sets yet.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:51 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Well Tomei makes a 280 deg cam and 272 deg cam for the VQ. To be completely honest I don't know if anyone has ever tried to mix camshaft sets yet.
ive only seen 280 intake cams. the highest exhaust cam they made was 272 that I saw. regardless the exhaust cams wont work with my revup.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:06 AM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the most part cams aren't worth the money and time, the best thing to do would to get a set of heads and raise the compression ratio. nismo heads are $2300, and make the compression go from 10.3.1 to 12.0.1, and then cams might be a good idea.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
realdealg35

Originally Posted by 350z_racer05
For the most part cams aren't worth the money and time, the best thing to do would to get a set of heads and raise the compression ratio. nismo heads are $2300, and make the compression go from 10.3.1 to 12.0.1, and then cams might be a good idea.
Will angle milling the factory heads bump the compression up? I heard the factory VQ heads are really good already... but I'm not 100% sure - second hand info.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:56 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by realdealg35
Will angle milling the factory heads bump the compression up? I heard the factory VQ heads are really good already... but I'm not 100% sure - second hand info.
i was wondering about this. some nismo spec 2 heads with a set of those UBER aggressive nismo spec 2 cams (284 degree intake 0_0 268 exhaust) would be AWESOME.....id have a RACECAR. but thats a TON of money for like 310 rwhp. could you raise it to like 11:1 by machining the stock heads?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-04-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:00 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

i was wondering about this. some nismo heads with a set of those UBER aggressive nismo cams would be AWESOME.....id have a RACECAR. but thats a TON of money for like 310 rwhp....though I probably would have 310 rwhp for like...2000 rpm's straight...hmmmm.
this has been discussed time and time again. ask any of the big numbered turboed drivers on here...eagletanggreen, alberto, jkinefic, myself, jumpin800agl, or anybody really...the stock heads are FINE!! there is almost no reason to upgrade your stock heads unless you want to raise your rev limit...

4000 dollars for cosworth heads is great, and sure you will get better air flow and your numbers will go up, but it is really not necessary at all.

most of us run stock heads until we can save up to afford the upgraded ones, but in reality the only reason we buy them is because we already have everything else done, so why not.

they really are not necessary though.

Last edited by TheBlackPearlZ; 02-04-2008 at 01:04 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:25 AM
realdealg35

OK, so as of now, I'll plan on installing the boltons above, and soon after: cams and having an engine-building buddy of mine angle mill and clean up the factory heads.

I guess I'll go with the most agressive cam I can that will work with the factory motor the best. Any strong cam suggestions for the stock Rev-up?

Thanks for all of your help fellas!
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by realdealg35
OK, so as of now, I'll plan on installing the boltons above, and soon after: cams and having an engine-building buddy of mine angle mill and clean up the factory heads.

I guess I'll go with the most agressive cam I can that will work with the factory motor the best. Any strong cam suggestions for the stock Rev-up?

Thanks for all of your help fellas!
There are only 2 available for the revup as far as I know:
1. JWT S7
2. GTM prototype revup cams

(some other companies like HKS are rumoured to be developing some cams for the revup, but are not to be released any time soon--I'm not even sure on the availability of the GTM prototype's--Give Sam at GTM a pm if u r interested.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
ke0ki2k

can you link me up to GTM? i cant find ANYTHING about em/there site/their vendor profile/anything.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 AM
baby_ruiner

OMG you sold your goat for a G?

***KICKS YOU****

we have had no problems with ours and our gm dealer is amazing with fixing the lil assuie quirks. we are at 392/400 with i/e/h/tune and looking at 450-475whp with heads cams. all this power for 3k. ive spent 3k to hit 270/265. this is on a nonrevup. i have tomei cams and valve train going in now so those numbers will be a lil stronger. at the end of it i will have spend a lil under 4k on parts and labor.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:19 AM
realdealg35

Originally Posted by baby_ruiner

***KICKS YOU****

we have had no problems with ours and our gm dealer is amazing with fixing the lil assuie quirks. we are at 392/400 with i/e/h/tune and looking at 450-475whp with heads cams. all this power for 3k. ive spent 3k to hit 270/265. this is on a nonrevup. i have tomei cams and valve train going in now so those numbers will be a lil stronger. at the end of it i will have spend a lil under 4k on parts and labor.
I know, I know... haha. Actually, the GTO got wrecked, and I chose to buy a G35 instead of another GTO (which is definitely bitter-sweet - I love the GTO). When mine was wrecked, it was pretty stock (other than a 150-shot), but had heads, cam, longtubes, etc. ordered for it, and an authentic Monaro front end waiting to go on as well. My goal with the GTO was to get 500rwhp with heads, cam, and EVERYTHING else N/A. Oh well... got tired one night at 1:00am after work, ran off the road going under the speed limit, and went 15ft before I hit a tree at about 35mph. Goat was done - definitely a sad day.

Yep, I'm spending a LOT more money trying to get some decent power out of the G35, but all in all, I think it will be just as rewarding - just not nearly as fast I like a challenge, so attempting 300rwhp (in time) with all boltons, lightened drivetrain, cams, and headwork done by an engine-building buddy of mine will be plenty of fun! Even if I don't make it, I'm sure the car will be really fun to drive, and that's all I really want. At the end, I'll probably have spent around $5,500 for a good attempt at 300rwhp - and that seems like a lot, but going FI CORRECTLY costs SO much more, and reliability plummets.

Where I'm from, having a 500rwhp G35 just means you've got a slow car. Everyone else has heavily modified Corvettes, Supras, Vipers, Mustangs, Camaros, GTO's, etc. That's why I want to build a G35 that gets respect for what it will be: a REALLY fun car to drive that makes all the right noises, revs high, handles beautifully, and retains a sophisticated look. I want this car to be the whole "racing experience" - I've gone fast in a straight line before, and while fun, it does leave something to be desired.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:24 AM
realdealg35

can you link me up to GTM? i cant find ANYTHING about em/there site/their vendor profile/anything.
+1

I PM'ed Sam, but haven't heard anything yet. He might just be busy - I think I sent him a message a couple days ago or something.

BTW, do you guys know the factory rev-up cam specs? I haven't been able to find it yet.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
ke0ki2k

***KICKS YOU****

maybe hed prefer a real sports car for curves. not a fat, unprecise pontiac with a big V8 in it jk. GTO's are cool and all, big powa with a great engine but the chassis blows imo. i've seen guys runnin em hard at the gap and they look terrible. they burn their weaksauce brakes up stopping all 3800 pounds comin into the corners too. But if you want to bring it to the dragon and do some Touge running i'll meet ya i'll even let ya spank me on the interstate afterwards not everyone can justify a muscle car for the interstate and a Z/G for the corners haha

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-05-2008 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by TheBlackPearlZ
this has been discussed time and time again. ask any of the big numbered turboed drivers on here...eagletanggreen, alberto, jkinefic, myself, jumpin800agl, or anybody really...the stock heads are FINE!! there is almost no reason to upgrade your stock heads unless you want to raise your rev limit...

4000 dollars for cosworth heads is great, and sure you will get better air flow and your numbers will go up, but it is really not necessary at all.

most of us run stock heads until we can save up to afford the upgraded ones, but in reality the only reason we buy them is because we already have everything else done, so why not.

they really are not necessary though.
I would never buy aftermarket heads really. I was wondering if you really could machine the stock heads down a bit to raise the compression ratio. or would that, im combination with higher lift cams, close the gap between the valves and the pistons too much & maybe start a knock?

btw if you want some really aggressive cams JWT makes a C8R cam for revups...you'll need different pistons with some cuts to make room for the uber-high lift.

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-05-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 AM
baby_ruiner

maybe hed prefer a real sports car for curves. not a fat, unprecise pontiac with a big V8 in it jk. GTO's are cool and all, big powa with a great engine but the chassis blows imo. i've seen guys runnin em hard at the gap and they look terrible. they burn their weaksauce brakes up stopping all 3800 pounds comin into the corners too. But if you want to bring it to the dragon and do some Touge running i'll meet ya i'll even let ya spank me on the interstate afterwards not everyone can justify a muscle car for the interstate and a Z/G for the corners haha
lol at weaksauce brakes...im pretty sure they are the brakes off the c5 vettes. and the g is only 200-300 lbs lighter then the goat. have you ever seen the aussie v8 races on speed? def not american nascar. holden ftmtw! i think i have a vid of the my bf in the goat owning the g's and z's on our local mtn runs. must be the driver mod...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:07 AM
ke0ki2k

lol at weaksauce brakes...im pretty sure they are the brakes off the c5 vettes. and the g is only 200-300 lbs lighter then the goat. have you ever seen the aussie v8 races on speed? def not american nascar. holden ftmtw! i think i have a vid of the my bf in the goat owning the g's and z's on our local mtn runs. must be the driver mod...
they also make SRT4's go fast around road courses on Speed World Challenge...lol. post up that vid, and remember not EVERYONE pushes the car just cause theyre on a twisty road. I'll run him on the dragon if ya'll come up for Z days and bring the goat!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
collinsGTO

well guys, i must say.... i respect the z's, as driver for driver, they should put a little distance on me thru the mountains. however, i guess the guys i went up with weren't all that great of drivers... i dunno... either way i most definatly wouldnt call it (the gto) an imprecise car by any means. now... if you're BONE STOCK with stock tires and suspension.... yeah i can kinda see it... but for a few bucks and some elbow grease and they really come to life. i simply prefer mine because its a nice ride, handles well, has a back seat, and has the ***** to push it on the highway or teh dragstrip if i choose to do so, but its also not going to kill me if you throw some turns at it. its just that not everybody knows about these cars, so they don't appreciate them for what they are capable of.

dude that got the g after owning a goat... congrats on your purchase, man! hopefully it turns out the way you wanted it to. i, personally, wouldnt have done it, but to each his own! best of luck with it!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 AM
collinsGTO

I'll run him on the dragon if ya'll come up for Z days and bring the goat!
when is this? if its feasable we'll see about it
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by collinsGTO
well guys, i must say.... i respect the z's, as driver for driver, they should put a little distance on me thru the mountains. however, i guess the guys i went up with weren't all that great of drivers... i dunno... either way i most definatly wouldnt call it (the gto) an imprecise car by any means. now... if you're BONE STOCK with stock tires and suspension.... yeah i can kinda see it... but for a few bucks and some elbow grease and they really come to life. i simply prefer mine because its a nice ride, handles well, has a back seat, and has the ***** to push it on the highway or teh dragstrip if i choose to do so, but its also not going to kill me if you throw some turns at it. its just that not everybody knows about these cars, so they don't appreciate them for what they are capable of.

dude that got the g after owning a goat... congrats on your purchase, man! hopefully it turns out the way you wanted it to. i, personally, wouldnt have done it, but to each his own! best of luck with it!
I like your style lol. buuuut yeah Zdayz baby! May 16-18 this year, up at the tail. if you like driving fast on mountain roads the dragon is made for you if youve never been.

I was wondering how suspension tunning and fatter grippier tires would treat the goat. but yeah Zdayz! bring the GTO if your girl can drive the Z.

Quick Reply: Please review my mod list :)