Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Please review my mod list :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
realdealg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please review my mod list :)

I have read and read and read and searched and searched and searched, etc. to gain as MUCH knowledge as I possibly can about these cars, and would just like you fellas to "check my work." I'm used to building high-horsepower nitrous LSx V8's putting over 500rwhp to the ground, and this will be my first time modifying a small displacement N/A car. I'm going N/A for reliability as well as to keep the car balanced between power, braking, handling, weight, etc. (I know this isn't going to be a power monster) That being said, is there anything I need to ADD or possibly do differently than below (what I've already ordered, but not installed yet):

Goal is: as close to 300rwhp as I can possibly get - would be happy with 285 to 290. Just making the car fun to drive: this is an '07 G35 Coupe - rev-up - 6MT.

- K&N filter for factory airbox
- Z-tube
- Motordyne 1/2" Iso-thermal spacers
- MREV-2
- plenum coolant bypass mod
- UR lightened underdrive pulley
- Stillen engine dampener
- Topspeed headers - heat wrapped ("trying" to keep exhaust velocity higher)
- Crawford high-flow cats
- JIC Magic y-pipe
- JIC Magic Spartan Type 1 (straight single pipe, single exit), titanium exhaust
- ACT prolite 13.2# flywheel
- AEM engine management and tune (soon to come)

- Nissan 4.08 gears
- weight reduction (racing seats and rear seat delete, gutted trunk, underbody metal removed, etc.)

THINKING about going with cams later, and cleaning up the factory heads - I've got engine-building/machining buddies

Anything obvious that I forgot, fellas? Thanks a bunch for your help!

Last edited by realdealg35; 02-02-2008 at 06:02 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:29 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your budget?
Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 AM
realdealg35

Originally Posted by SlideFox
What's your budget?
Already spent about $3500 on the above Will spend $1,500 more or so if needed.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
WSchli1672

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With $1,500 your next move might be to get the cams, they'll definitely give you added hp as N/A. I would put that down as the next step. Start checking out what's available. JWT is my preference, but there's multiple brands out there and some shops even make theirs, and it won't break you $ wise.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're gonna need those cams (jwt s7 or the GTM prototype revup cams, and a good port/polish on the heads and tuning to get you close to your goal)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
SlideFox

I agree with Johnnylaw. My next step would be cams, some minor headwork, and a good tune. Tuning really wont gain you much "overall" HP but you'll be able to maximize your powerband. I would have done some stuff differentley then your inital setup, but thats just personal opinion. Your goals are pretty realistic... Good Luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:42 AM
SlideFox

If you want to see a more indepth NA build check this out...

https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/284761-na-build-inside-soup-to-nuts.html
Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
undrgnd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by realdealg35
I have read and read and read and searched and searched and searched, etc. to gain as MUCH knowledge as I possibly can about these cars, and would just like you fellas to "check my work." I'm used to building high-horsepower nitrous LSx V8's putting over 500rwhp to the ground, and this will be my first time modifying a small displacement N/A car. I'm going N/A for reliability as well as to keep the car balanced between power, braking, handling, weight, etc. (I know this isn't going to be a power monster) That being said, is there anything I need to ADD or possibly do differently than below (what I've already ordered, but not installed yet):

Goal is: as close to 300rwhp as I can possibly get - would be happy with 285 to 290. Just making the car fun to drive: this is an '07 G35 Coupe - rev-up - 6MT.

- Z-tube
- Motordyne 1/2" Iso-thermal spacers - one spacer
- MREV-2
- plenum coolant bypass mod - no benefit
- UR lightened underdrive pulley - little benefit, high risk
- Stillen engine dampener - not needed
- JIC Magic y-pipe
- JIC Magic Spartan Type 1 (straight single pipe, single exit), titanium exhaust
- ACT prolite 13.2# flywheel - you will hate the noise, drivability

- Nissan 4.08 gears
- weight reduction (racing seats and rear seat delete, gutted trunk, underbody metal removed, etc.) - lighter battery? leave underbody covers alone, contribute to zero lift and weigh nothing

THINKING about going with cams later, and cleaning up the factory heads - I've got engine-building/machining buddies

The '07s use the revup motor? I am under the impression that the HR motor is what they have. If you're looking for a lightweight drag monster, you got the wrong car. You are spending lots of money for little payback.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He has a 07 g35 coupe (rev-up engine)--Only the 07 sports sedans have the HR motor I believe. The 08 g37 coupe has the upgraded 3.7hr engine.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
ke0ki2k

JWT S7 cams, UTEC, mild port and polish. im pretty sure the 1/2 inch plenum spacer + MREV2 doesnt do much. the MREV2 works much better with the 5/16th and the 1/2 inch works better alone. but yeah, there have been problems with aftermarket crank pullies leaking oil so ya might wana ditch that. all that and maybe a 3" MAFS, get ahold of a 85mm throttle body if ya can, cams, utec, tune and you'll be up there around 285-290. with the 4.08 gears and 13 pound fly it'll be a BLAST.

P.S.: what are these GTM cams I keep hearing about?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-01-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the crank pulley is properly installed it will not cause problems. Indeed people who do it in there garage with makeshift tools may run into improper mounting.

Sounds like a nice set up, definalty do cams if your looking for 290s. Keep us updated! (pictures next time)
Old 02-01-2008, 01:33 PM
laswyguy

Originally Posted by realdealg35

- Z-tube
- Motordyne 1/2" Iso-thermal spacers
- MREV-2
- plenum coolant bypass mod
- UR lightened underdrive pulley
- Stillen engine dampener
- JIC Magic y-pipe
- ACT prolite 13.2# flywheel

- Nissan 4.08 gears
- weight reduction (racing seats and rear seat delete, gutted trunk, underbody metal removed, etc.)

Where are the cams?? You need a nice set of high lift cams...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:42 PM
diablo1356

honestly man you should have just bolted on a stillen stage 2 supercharger. for all that money you're spending you would have been better off with the sc. you say you want reliability, well the sc is very reliable. plus it comes with a warranty from stillen, however there are limits to this warranty. i think you run a bigger risk of an unreliable car running ur pulley, cams, port polish and all that. but i guess its too late for that. i spent a lot of money trying to do the same thing, and i was NEVER satisfied. i got a stage 2 recently, and damnit i wish i woulda just done this in the beginning. its so much fun! with the sc you dont need any other upgrades, its meant to work with a stock g/z. by the way, i have a 2004 g coupe, and my car hasnt idled this smoothly since it was stock.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:29 PM
ke0ki2k

roots type blower also adds weight to the front end though....HIGH UP in the front end mind you. id rather lose 150 pounds, get 285 rwhp with a SMOOTH power/torque curve and run 4.08 gears with a light flywheel. with my gears id just spin with a supercharger. at the dragon the setup OP is doing with some suspension work & a wheel/tire setup like mine would MURDER a Z with most of the money put in a blower. BUT, the blower would be a ton more fun just ricing around messin with other fast cars...depends on what you want the car to be good at.

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 02-01-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 AM
realdealg35

Thanks for the help fellas! Sounds like I'm headed in the right general direction. I can forsee cams and freshened up heads in the future. Like I say, I'm NOT going for a drag/straight line car - merely one that never ceases to put a smile on my face whether I'm driving to work, or taking it up to VIR for a track day. My goal really isn't a certain power #, but moreso a "certain racing feel." Thus flywheel, gears, weight reduction, some suspension, some power.

SlideFox: Thanks for the link! I'll be studying it

Thanks everyone else for their input!

As for the Stillen supercharger: it's just not for me. Going FI and only making 330rwhp while adding a LOT of weight to the top front of the car (and getting a non-stock hood with a "domestic bulge" in it) is not something I'm interested in at all. If I was going FI, it would be 100%: built motor and a JWT TT kit - but I'm also not keen on spending upward of $12,000 to have a car that would still have problems outrunning my old '05 LS2 GTO.

Power-wise, I'll be just as happy with 280rwhp as I would with 330rwhp, because I used to have 515rwhp and 620ft-lbs of torque

One specific question guys: I'm used to switching out a cam (singular, lol) in an LSx motor and it sounding different - a little lopey, if you will. Does the VQ hide any sound difference when you switch out the cams, or does the engine/exhaust sound different after switching cams?

Thanks again for all of your help fellas!

BTW, included a couple pics in the original post to see what the car looks like
Old 02-02-2008, 07:43 AM
ke0ki2k

if you run real aggressive duration cams I think it causes a little lope. like 272 degree. the S7's are high lift but I dont think you'll get lope, Unless you go with the C8R cams from JWT 272 degree revup cams with rediculous lift. too much lift to use with stock pistons as a matter of fact.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:50 AM
SlideFox

I heard a g35 with Tomei 280's in it!!! Farking ridiculious sounding!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:51 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ur def on the right way man and ur car looks great! Same wheels I want on my SB Z. I was in the same boat as u with NA power. Now im not bc its just not enough 4 me. Im in the process of trying to do sumthing with the STS system that nobody has yet. Also where did u get the price quote 4 JWT TT kit and a built motor 4 12K? Lol is that just parts or parts and labor? Also u may want to look into the Haltec bc it had a few more advantages that the utec doesnt. And since ur in NC like me I would def rec taking the car to JT @ PF.com. Hope this kinda helps and GL
Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 AM
TheBlackPearlZ
Banned

very nice looking G...good luck with your build
Old 02-02-2008, 08:35 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by SlideFox
I heard a g35 with Tomei 280's in it!!! Farking ridiculious sounding!!!
if only they made the 280/272 combo for my Z >.<

Quick Reply: Please review my mod list :)