Gasoline Brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 AM
Rekinyze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline Brands

Hey guys,

I recently noticed something and wanted your opinions:

Have you ever noticed that you get varying performance from different brands of gasoline? It can even be the same brand of gas from different stations. Sometimes I particularly noticed a different in the liveliness of the car after filling up at some stations and at other stations...the car feels fantastic.

Whats the deal?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:24 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

different amounts of ethanol? I know in states where it gets cold, stations increase the ethanol in the gasoline to reduce emissions, but this hurts performance somewhat. Ur in Texas tho, so I really don't know. Best guess is a variance of gasoline purity?
Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 AM
JZurita

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil FTW
Old 02-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Rekinyze

I have actually found that Chevron seems to give the best performance. I filled up with Shell gas a couple weeks ago and the car felt really sluggish.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by JZurita
Mobil FTW

Mobile/Exon SUCK . When I was NA I used to use them all the time but now that I'm FI'd I will not use them anymore...!!!! I have tried 3 different gas Exon/Mobile Station on 2 different State (I live in NYC so Jerzee is one hope away) and I tend to knock more on that brand of gas Switch to Sunoco and BP and knock started to go away.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 AM
sbZenth

yeah i try to get BP. if i cant, i get shell. BP seems to pull better.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
Rekinyze

I have a friend that runs midgrade gas on his G35 coupe and he said it doesn't knock.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:37 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Rekinyze
I have a friend that runs midgrade gas on his G35 coupe and he said it doesn't knock.
how does he know? It is very hard to hear mild detonation on the street. The only way I know I'm knocking is through my logs from Utec and even that could be false knock.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

IMO gas is gas, coming from the major stations of course, excluding mom n' pop stores that have been know to have water in their fuel. The only real difference is the octane. Brand wise, I say they're all the same....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:01 AM
go-fast
Banned

all gas stations pump from the same pipeline,at distribution centers each brand is modified with their own detergents and additives to seperate themselves.....sunoco has a higher standard and usually tests higher than the posted octane rating.10% water is the max allowable water in gas,most cheapo stations take this right to the limit.thats why you get worse mileage with cheap fuel.sunoco sets their own water standard to 1%.so if you do the math you are actually getting more gas for the money.if you buy 10 gallons of cheapo,10% of that is one gallon of mixed water....which is pretty expensive water.stations are randomly tested by the government and all have a different method of compliance,i like sunoco's
Old 02-27-2008, 10:02 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
all gas stations pump from the same pipeline,at distribution centers each brand is modified with their own detergents and additives to seperate themselves.....sunoco has a higher standard and usually tests higher than the posted octane rating.10% water is the max allowable water in gas,most cheapo stations take this right to the limit.thats why you get worse mileage with cheap fuel.sunoco sets their own water standard to 1%.so if you do the math you are actually getting more gas for the money.if you buy 10 gallons of cheapo,10% of that is one gallon of mixed water....which is pretty expensive water.stations are randomly tested by the government and all have a different method of compliance,i like sunoco's
Thank you for the info. That was really informative...
Old 02-27-2008, 04:28 PM
undrgnd

Yea, right. Sunoco is one of the worst. Only Sunoco-Canada is considered a top tier retailer. If anyone wants to read up on this subject, there have been several good threads here, with real facts and supporting bases. The top tier gasolines have better consistency and additives. That is a good place to start. And yes, thare ARE differences among gasolines, with different results when it comes to performanace and efficiency. What most people post in threads like this is biased, subjective info, with little factual basis. Search this and other auto forums, and you will find enough info to keep you busy for hours.

TOP TIER GAS
Old 02-27-2008, 04:39 PM
mega_boi

V-power ftw!!

and chevron supreme with "Techron" on occasion.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I've been keeping track of my gas mileage -- by brand -- and Shell gives me my best mileage, followed closely by Chevron.

Arco is only cheaper if it's at least 11 cents per gallon less than Shell, and rarely is it *quite* that cheap (plus my Z runs like crap in comparison).

The only way to tell if gas is cheaper is to calculate gallons per 1000 miles. For example, our Armada only takes regular, but when towing running premium meant that we needed one less fuel fill-up in 1000 miles. Odd, but true.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
05Z33

I prefer Sunoco and Cheveron 93. When I go FI I'll throw in Sunoco 98.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 PM
tribal_visionz

My car drinks 7-11 like powerade.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:20 PM
13SECZ

When I was Turbo'd I would log UTEC Knocks also...heres what I found..

MOBIL, SUNOCO both SUCK !!!

EXXON was the only one that really worked for me..I know mobile and exxon are sort of the same company..but that was the only gas that didnt make my car knock or at least send a knock signal...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

my choice would be
1. 76
2. cheveron
3. mobil
others would be if im really desperate or really need gas or free gas card or something.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:52 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by undrgnd
Yea, right. Sunoco is one of the worst. Only Sunoco-Canada is considered a top tier retailer. If anyone wants to read up on this subject, there have been several good threads here, with real facts and supporting bases. The top tier gasolines have better consistency and additives. That is a good place to start. And yes, thare ARE differences among gasolines, with different results when it comes to performanace and efficiency. What most people post in threads like this is biased, subjective info, with little factual basis. Search this and other auto forums, and you will find enough info to keep you busy for hours.

TOP TIER GAS
let me start by saying ttd is not bad, but you seem to have drunk the cool-aid.top tier was created by auto manufacturers in a strong arm effort to help with their own emission compliance problems.their was no input from the oil companies and was shoved down the gas retailers throats.it says you must use the detergents that WE think are best.the word detergent is important because that is all ttd relates to, NOT octane rating and how it relates to what is printed on the pump which was the basis of my post.if sunoco chooses to maintain it's successfull formula regardless of external pressure i say good for them.i know i wouldnt want someone insisting i change to solve their problem.btwy the jury is still out on ttd and motors using it will not see benefits until 100,000 + miles as it relates to top end cleaning properties which is the sole basis of formulation.i took your advice and did a recent search to see if my opinion was outdated (that does happen from time to time)but found that the only positive posts or threads were from un-informed people who blindly accepted the hype.if you stop by www.detroitnews.com and search for an article "will cheap gas leave you fuming?"you will have an chance to see another perspective on the issue.will ttd hurt?no.is ttd nesessary?no.i think it's interesting that you jump on me about sunoco quality and my ignorance on the subject when your hang up on ttd is smoke and mirrors with no clear facts.i think YOU are the one who needs to do a little more research before boldly claiming to know better.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 AM
undrgnd

let me start by saying ttd is not bad, but you seem to have drunk the cool-aid.top tier was created by auto manufacturers in a strong arm effort to help with their own emission compliance problems.their was no input from the oil companies and was shoved down the gas retailers throats.it says you must use the detergents that WE think are best.the word detergent is important because that is all ttd relates to, NOT octane rating and how it relates to what is printed on the pump which was the basis of my post.if sunoco chooses to maintain it's successfull formula regardless of external pressure i say good for them.i know i wouldnt want someone insisting i change to solve their problem.btwy the jury is still out on ttd and motors using it will not see benefits until 100,000 + miles as it relates to top end cleaning properties which is the sole basis of formulation.i took your advice and did a recent search to see if my opinion was outdated (that does happen from time to time)but found that the only positive posts or threads were from un-informed people who blindly accepted the hype.if you stop by www.detroitnews.com and search for an article "will cheap gas leave you fuming?"you will have an chance to see another perspective on the issue.will ttd hurt?no.is ttd nesessary?no.i think it's interesting that you jump on me about sunoco quality and my ignorance on the subject when your hang up on ttd is smoke and mirrors with no clear facts.i think YOU are the one who needs to do a little more research before boldly claiming to know better.
Conspiracy brother,
You are entitled to you opinion, as uneducated as it may be. I would rather people find their own answers than listen to someone who couldn't compose a single, grammatically correct sentence, if their life depended on it.

Quick Reply: Gasoline Brands