Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Oil Pan Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:01 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, mine was about $325 + shipping. Which is still a good deal.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:32 AM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
just a lil fyi on the aps
you will need to add a spacer to the oil pickup as it does drop the pan lower
That is a good point. Are the oversize oil pans for the VQ always deeper or just wider? Has anyone received a spacer with their aftermarket pan? A deeper pan without an extended pickup will not fully utilize the entire oil capacity, and the extra oil will sit 'below' the pickup.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:30 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by undrgnd
That is a good point. Are the oversize oil pans for the VQ always deeper or just wider? Has anyone received a spacer with their aftermarket pan? A deeper pan without an extended pickup will not fully utilize the entire oil capacity, and the extra oil will sit 'below' the pickup.
Well my aam spacer came with a pickup spacer and i think they all do.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its oversize width that increases the capacity and if the pan doesnt come with a tube extender, you got screwed...its a neccessary part of the package, as are the bolts.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 AM
craker_n8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went ahead and ordered the damn oil pan from slowboyracing.com. I'll let you guys know what the kit comes with. I wanted to ask before I orderd but they aren't open Sundays and I really need to get this part ASAP so I can get the car back on the road. Didn't want to put the decison off any longer. Hope that wasn't a big mistake. We'll see... and like I said, I'll let you know for those who are interested in whether this is a legitimate deal or not.

-Nate (<- Guinea Pig)
Old 03-02-2008, 09:17 AM
redman333

Its not a mistake, you needed one anyway. I highly doubt on a stock car you'll see any benefit to this mod. On a track car or a FI vehicle I could see the added benefit because the engine is seeing unusaullly higher temps than just driving around the streets which is what Nissan engineered this vehicle for. Look at it this way though, if you ever decide to do a build on the motor or turbo it, then its one less thing you have to buy.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:59 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is the real deal APS pan, I really got to wonder how they are selling it for $100, when every other vendor is selling it for $300-395. That seems too cheap to be true, but let us know what you get.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The APS oil pan comes standard with an oil pickup spacer and all the necessary hardware to ensure a trouble free installation.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:28 PM
craker_n8

Originally Posted by redman333
Its not a mistake, you needed one anyway. I highly doubt on a stock car you'll see any benefit to this mod. On a track car or a FI vehicle I could see the added benefit because the engine is seeing unusaullly higher temps than just driving around the streets which is what Nissan engineered this vehicle for. Look at it this way though, if you ever decide to do a build on the motor or turbo it, then its one less thing you have to buy.
Well I do drive into DC to work so maybe I will reap the benefits. I wouldn't say my daily drive is like an F1 race, but it may be comparable to autocross or at least a mild version of The Fast and the Furious LOL. But you are right, I don't plan on making this my only mod, so although I may not get immediate gratification, at least I'll be prepared for futire mods.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:30 PM
craker_n8

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
The APS oil pan comes standard with an oil pickup spacer and all the necessary hardware to ensure a trouble free installation.
So I guess the real question is are these Slowboys guys selling the real kit or JUST the oil pan alone or some crappy version of something better. I don't know. If this is some sort of scam though, thrust me, I'll let everyone here and everyone in the world know this is a rip-off.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
craker_n8

So yeah... I got a call today from Slowboy. They said the APS oil pan has been on backorder for 2 months and they have no idea when they are going to receive any new ones. I went ahead and got a refund since I don't have "forever" to wait around for them. What a pain in the ***. All that deliberation and contemplation for pretty much nothing. After all this I'll probably end up getting a stock pan just for the sake of time.