Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cosworth Builds N/A 400Bhp VQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 PM
rednezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think some of you might be surprised how much power you can make with a NA VQ. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if they can make it 400 hp at the crank. I just wonder what cams they will be using.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:35 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
I think you would find them all in Japan...Super Taikyu series Z have some pretty crazy N/A engines. But if Cosworth pulls this off there will be more Z here with them.

actually most of them are in europe, as the vq is a french (renault) engine
Old 03-21-2008, 03:16 AM
djtimodj

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.iesracing.co.uk/3ltrV6.htm#threefour

Guys these people built RJN's Race VQ engine rated not far of 500hp!! Cheack it out!

Good job there not far from me LOL>>.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 AM
blazefast

Originally Posted by warmmilk
shut up, Clarkson lol

The VQ is a Japanese engine which is shared in Renaults, it's not the other way around
Old 03-21-2008, 03:49 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Cosworth, maybe, possibly, if they are lucky, is going to try to build a 400hp VQ" ?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

should be interesting to see!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 03-21-2008 at 05:23 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:12 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
After reading the article, Cosworth has plans to have at least a 11:1 compression engine on 100 octane fuel. SCC will be giving updates through their magazine.
This looks interesting...

Any links to the article online?

If not, what is Sports CC?
Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Guess the Indy Car, CART, F1, WRC engine's are garbage too since two plenums have leaked.
+2 no offense to anyone on here, but there is NO ONE On here that can match what cosworth can do.. end of discussion
on another note, i want that engine!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 07:44 AM
turismo

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
4.3 liter? lol. there are VQ race engines with ITB's that make that much power with 3.5 liters...there are some pretty wild N/A VQ35DE's out there...just hard to find information on em since theyre all in race cars.

Your not going to come close to 400hp with a 3.5 liter VQ. Look how hard it is to make 260rwhp. You basically need every bolt on possible, just to achieve something so minimal. The only way to produce more power is to stroke the motor and or have the ability to make power past 8000rpm.

And thats exactly my point! Those are race cars with unlimited cash flow. The average VQ owner would rather spend 15-20k on a fully built twin turbo, than a fully built 3.5 n/a 300rwhp.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:59 AM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by turismo
Your not going to come close to 400hp with a 3.5 liter VQ. Look how hard it is to make 260rwhp. You basically need every bolt on possible, just to achieve something so minimal. The only way to produce more power is to stroke the motor and or have the ability to make power past 8000rpm.

And thats exactly my point! Those are race cars with unlimited cash flow. The average VQ owner would rather spend 15-20k on a fully built twin turbo, than a fully built 3.5 n/a 300rwhp.
No where in the rules does it say they have to build an engine to what *most* people do, using the most common bolt-on parts. It is open season on anything they want to do as long as it runs on 100 octane and uses Syntec oil. It is more than fair to assume that they have a pretty decent amount of cash flow to put into this engine. Cosworth has a huge selection of NA cams to choose from, or maybe they will use this to release some of their own grinds to the public. They have the heads for this build already. The internals could be anything they want. The Jenvey ITB's that IES and Nismo used are available. These are all bolt-on parts available right now, and Engine management is unlimited for this competition. The engine only has to survive for 30 minutes. I think it is foolish to doubt 400hp from the VQ when you consider all that is available to those willing to go this far in the build. IES's VQ35 built for RJN makes 525hp unrestricted. 400hp in a milder build with the aforementioned parts seems inevitable from a firm like Cosworth in this competition.

Why are you discussing FI in a thread about Cosworth's NA engine build? Is this really going to turn into another, "FI is more power for less money" thread?

Will
Old 03-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Motormouth
Banned

wat are you talking about?

pancake bunny?
Old 03-21-2008, 08:18 AM
Motormouth
Banned

but,

cosworth says they are going to use thier off the shelf parts. I didn't think they made internals or heads for anything other than the DE model.
JSFZ33

Originally Posted by warmmilk
MASSIVE FAIL

http://wardsauto.com/reports/2008/te...ssan_3-7l_v-6/
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Maybe you missed the point of the build but this is not a bolt on test to achieve the given power...its a fully built setup, using readily available parts, being done by people who have very successful in house engine programs and who have competed in nearly every major form of motorsports for decades. It's not about who would rather have FI or NA...that argument in and of itself is stupid. It's about achieving a certain goal, with a certain platform.

Rather than guessing what you may or may not think is possible, why not just sit back and wait for the results? Prothelitizing about something, when the people actually involved have vastly more experience than you given the subject, doesn't seem to serve much purpose.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:12 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

My guess is that "readily available parts" means something entirely different to Cosworth than it does to people like us.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:39 AM
dimo

There are honda k20/k24 engines out there putting down 300 whp and race engines putting down 350+ whp N/A. I'm pretty sure the VQ can do better.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by __jb
My guess is that "readily available parts" means something entirely different to Cosworth than it does to people like us.
how so? Any part they can buy, you can buy. But as we all know, a pile of awesome parts does not make a successful engine. It has to be the right combo of parts, with the right person putting it together, and the right person tuning it. As with any major project you undertake, stars have to align
Old 03-21-2008, 12:39 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Resolute
No where in the rules does it say they have to build an engine to what *most* people do, using the most common bolt-on parts. It is open season on anything they want to do as long as it runs on 100 octane and uses Syntec oil. It is more than fair to assume that they have a pretty decent amount of cash flow to put into this engine. Cosworth has a huge selection of NA cams to choose from, or maybe they will use this to release some of their own grinds to the public. They have the heads for this build already. The internals could be anything they want. The Jenvey ITB's that IES and Nismo used are available. These are all bolt-on parts available right now, and Engine management is unlimited for this competition. The engine only has to survive for 30 minutes. I think it is foolish to doubt 400hp from the VQ when you consider all that is available to those willing to go this far in the build. IES's VQ35 built for RJN makes 525hp unrestricted. 400hp in a milder build with the aforementioned parts seems inevitable from a firm like Cosworth in this competition.

Why are you discussing FI in a thread about Cosworth's NA engine build? Is this really going to turn into another, "FI is more power for less money" thread?

Will
And lets not forget that Amuse, Endless, and other JDM builders have built 400hp VQ35 motors.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robert_K
And lets not forget that Amuse, Endless, and other JDM builders have built 400hp VQ35 motors.
actually no they haven't, but that's besides the point
Old 03-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
actually no they haven't, but that's besides the point
Guess those articles I read were BS? But beside the point.

Quick Reply: Cosworth Builds N/A 400Bhp VQ