Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

NISSAN Says "No Synthetic Oil"

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Tex Willer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by KJY9
The Service dept. Mgr at the local Nissan dealership here, who has been servicing my vehicles since he had his own shop years ago told me that synth oil gives off different fumes than regular oil and that the fumes that are being pumped back into your engine are not good for it in any way shape or form.
He said he wouldn't run synth in his Z if someone paid him to do it.
No flames please, I'm just repeating what he's been telling me since before and after he was with Nissan.
That's a new one...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your dealer is wrong, plain and simple. I ahve spoken to Nissan's engineers about this very issue, as we had questions from local customers. Nissan simply says that synthetic is not needed or required.....as such, it is not officially recommended.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:44 PM
Silver Bullit II

Morons. Put synthetic in from the get-go.
JMS in TX
Old 12-14-2003, 04:38 PM
alex30327

The guy at your dealer is a moron! I would take your car somewhere else if I were you.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:55 AM
jckolnturn

Originally posted by KJY9
The Service dept. Mgr at the local Nissan dealership here, who has been servicing my vehicles since he had his own shop years ago told me that synth oil gives off different fumes than regular oil and that the fumes that are being pumped back into your engine are not good for it in any way shape or form.
He said he wouldn't run synth in his Z if someone paid him to do it.
No flames please, I'm just repeating what he's been telling me since before and after he was with Nissan.
It sounds like he was inhaling some fumes when he told you that.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:22 AM
Pit Bull

Default Re: Re: NISSAN Says "No Synthetic Oil"

Originally posted by Boomer
This subject was covered months ago and rejected as complete B.S. I don't know why your Service Manager thinks anyone will let him get away with perpetuating this myth, but it pisses me off every time some bozo reinterprets the company policy. In your owner's manual it says Nissan recommends mineral-based oil, it does NOT require it! On page 9-5 of the manual, it says only those oils w/an American Petroleum Institute(API) certification should be used. The symbols and language say, "API Service SJ, SAE 5W-30, Energy Conserving". Any oil that falls into these categories should be used, according to the language on that page. If Mobile 1, Castrol, etc. fit the category, they are acceptable.

It is only after the requirements are so stated, that it says, Nissan recommends mineral-based oils. If you or anyone else is concerned about bringing your own oil, have the Service Writer write on the ticket, customer brought own oil and the brand and API Certification, I will do so when I change to Mobile1.

As for your Service Manager, ask him for written statement(s) from Nissan "techs" that supercede the language in the owner's manual. I think his dealership stocks the oil he wants you to use and pay for, not any tech advisor.

Do a search in the archives on this subject, you will find an "OFFICIAL" Nissan Engineering Manager for NNA's Policy Statement which verifies what I just said. I don't know how much you want to deal with this SM, but I would look for another dealer to do my warranty/maintenance if you shove the NNA Policy up his nose.

BTW, if any leakage from seals result from changing your oil brand and composition, change back to the original oil. Any damage is very unlikely to occur, it just goes back to status quo.

Boomer--my advice, use it or lose it, I don't care.
Boomer your funny "In your owner's manual it says Nissan recommends mineral-based oil, it does NOT require it!" Ok if the people that built the engine recommends mineral-based oil then why use synthetic? If it said that Nissan recommended synthetic oil, you would be going nuts if people were stating that they were using dino oil even though synthetic was not required. The answer is, use a quality dino oil that meets the spec's and change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and you will never have a lube problem. Plus you will save money!!!
Old 02-18-2005, 07:29 AM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
your dealer is wrong, plain and simple. I ahve spoken to Nissan's engineers about this very issue, as we had questions from local customers. Nissan simply says that synthetic is not needed or required.....as such, it is not officially recommended.

"Nissan simply says that synthetic is not needed or required.....as such, it is not officially recommended"

Old 02-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Nano

Default Re: Re: Re: NISSAN Says "No Synthetic Oil"

Originally posted by Pit Bull
Boomer your funny "In your owner's manual it says Nissan recommends mineral-based oil, it does NOT require it!" Ok if the people that built the engine recommends mineral-based oil then why use synthetic? If it said that Nissan recommended synthetic oil, you would be going nuts if people were stating that they were using dino oil even though synthetic was not required. The answer is, use a quality dino oil that meets the spec's and change the oil and filter every 3000 miles and you will never have a lube problem. Plus you will save money!!!
the nissan manual also say you should shift like this...

1st - 2nd - 8mph
2nd - 3rd - 16mph
3rd - 4th - 25mph
4th - 5th - 28mph
5th - 6th - 33mph

Now I'd like to know who is the dumbass who goes 28mph in 5th gear.

I don't think I ever, not even in the my best fuel-economy attitude, respected those.
Old 02-18-2005, 07:52 AM
hypeiv

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: NISSAN Says "No Synthetic Oil"

Originally posted by Nano
the nissan manual also say you should shift like this...

1st - 2nd - 8mph
2nd - 3rd - 16mph
3rd - 4th - 25mph
4th - 5th - 28mph
5th - 6th - 33mph

Now I'd like to know who is the dumbass who goes 28mph in 5th gear.

I don't think I ever, not even in the my best fuel-economy attitude, respected those.
I think that same page in the manual gives you shifting guidelines for better performance...

anyway I bet that dealer didn't have mobile 1 to put in your car and didn't want to give you the discount for bringing your own oil.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:19 AM
Kray Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its simply just a reccomendation. They also do not reccomend fuel or oil additives. WHY NOT. They're in all oils and fuels.

They don't like alcohols or solvents. What about ethanol blend. Oh yeah gas is a solvent.

As for oil additives if they weren't included in the oil you're oil would not even meet SA if it were synthetic base maybe SC. Its retarded.

By the way the fuels are so terrible these days the manufacturers are requiring the use of more fuel additives.

Any one heard of Top Tier gasoline?

http://www.sfrcorp.com/notice.asp?NoticeID=4

Check it out.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Tex Willer

Kray Z

what do you think about injector cleaners? Do you use any? Any reccomendations?

Last edited by Tex Willer; 02-18-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by Kray Z
Yeah its simply just a reccomendation. They also do not reccomend fuel or oil additives. WHY NOT. They're in all oils and fuels.

They don't like alcohols or solvents. What about ethanol blend. Oh yeah gas is a solvent.

As for oil additives if they weren't included in the oil you're oil would not even meet SA if it were synthetic base maybe SC. Its retarded.

By the way the fuels are so terrible these days the manufacturers are requiring the use of more fuel additives.

Any one heard of Top Tier gasoline?

http://www.sfrcorp.com/notice.asp?NoticeID=4

Check it out.
Thanks for the infomation on top tier gasoline, I'm switching to Quiktrip, had been using Conoco but a local wholesaler bought the local Conoco station and I've been using it for a couple of months might be screwing up my injectors.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Sean00500

My dealer has put in synthetic oil for me on my last 4 changes, i only pay 20 bucks cuz when i bought my car i got free oil changes for life and i opted to upgrade to synth. He told me that it was not needed but cant hurt. Youre dealer prolly just wants you to come in for that scheduled oil change every 3000 miles. I've got an 03, and i havn't had any trouble with my car whatsoever, synthetic is def safe for the car, if it wasn't they'd have to have some sort of notice, and its not in the manual, and half of the dealers say its good to use, and the other half say that it isn't. I've used synth oil in my old camry too and that thing handeled it for a long time and its still kickin. If the nissan engine cant handle synth oil and the camry could, I smell engine swap....
Old 02-19-2005, 06:27 AM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by Tex Willer
Kray Z

what do you think about injector cleaners? Do you use any? Any reccomendations?
Go here and see what they recommend www.bobistheoilguy.com
Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 AM
2003z

Originally posted by jeffa
Not only did my dealer put in Mobile 1 that I brought with me to the oil change, he even recommended it, said that it was the best synth to use. I agreed, having used it in my last 3 vehicles.

I doubt very much that Nissan does not recommend synth oil, otherwise, there would be a HUGH warning in the consumer operators manual. I did not see any such warning in my book, so I will continue to use Mobile 1.....
page 9-5 of the owners manual. its not hugh, but its there.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy thread revival batman.

anyway to me i really do nto care if it is synthetic or mineral based oil or not. just my .02 cents on it as long as you do regular maintenace it all boils down to what you feel justified in spending your money on.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:52 AM
scubasteve

I've been running synthetic since about 7K miles. I am now having oil consumption issues. I have no leaks and the dealer in interested in helping me. I do run my car at the track (road course), but 2 quarts after 3500 miles is excessive. I'll post when I find out what they think and do. Probably new engine for me.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:29 PM
dank311

No synthetic oil, huh...heheh
Thats pretty ironic because I just saw a Mobil 1 commerical and it had a 350Z in it...go figure.
Jon
Old 02-22-2005, 01:25 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Why was a thread from 2 years ago brought back?
Old 02-22-2005, 02:38 PM
Pit Bull

Originally posted by 2004z
Why was a thread from 2 years ago brought back?
Maybe to see if anyone that has used synthetic is having any problems. Looks like at least one is??? Also it's alway fun to talk about oil

Quick Reply: NISSAN Says "No Synthetic Oil"