Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cold Air or Short Ram

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 08:24 PM
schvool1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold Air or Short Ram

I'm trying to decide on whether to get a CAI or a Short Ram. I know the CAI produces more power, but I've heard too many horror stories about people Hydro Locking their car. Does anyone else feel threatened by hydro lock with their CAI? And how much of a difference is really there between a CAI and Short Ram? From what I've researched...there isn't too much of a difference for the Z...anyone agree?

Thanks...
Old 07-09-2003, 04:11 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do a search you will see that we (VandyZ, dougrace zs, Evil350Z) have already done the research as far as the stock setup goes.

We are ramming air at speed . . . STOCK! The air box is pressurized at speed and WOT. This means as the engine is sucking in the air on the TB side the air box is pressurized with plenty of air on that side. It is kind of hard to improve that. You put a CAI on and you loose that effect. It sounds cool and the temp might be a little different (not enough to notice a gain) but there is no real performance value in a CAI.

I made up my own system. I have a stock air box with K&N going to an Injen upper tube (eliminates the plastic piece with accordion bend) to my Crawford Performance Plenum. Sounds very good, still ramming air, smooth airflow, and makes good power.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:38 PM
schvool1

Thanks. This was the answer I was hoping for. But I'd need your Crawford Performance Plenum to be able to do this setup, right?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by schvool1
Thanks. This was the answer I was hoping for. But I'd need your Crawford Performance Plenum to be able to do this setup, right?
I don't think you need his plenum, but it would go nicely, unless you plan on a FI setup.
Old 07-10-2003, 08:34 AM
VandyZ

Nope don’t need the plenum, but it increases airflow to the front cylinders. (gets around 10 hp at peak and 20 hp at redline)

Also, The plenum will work nicely with turbos and superchargers (except the stillen).
Old 07-10-2003, 09:54 AM
peptidbond

VandyZ,

How did you do the testing on the stock and modified air boxes. I assume that you had some sort of digital air pressure guage hooked up with a read out in the cabin. Is this the case? I would be interested in duplicating this test. Can you tell me where you got your pressure guages, etc? Or at least let me know how you did the testing. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2003, 10:57 AM
Iezzi

My Injen CAI will be at my house tomorrow. I was planning on setting it up as a short ram and useing the cone air filter that it comes with. Would I be better off setting it up with the factory intake houseing and air filter? like Vandy Z's
Old 07-10-2003, 11:38 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by peptidbond
VandyZ,

How did you do the testing on the stock and modified air boxes. I assume that you had some sort of digital air pressure guage hooked up with a read out in the cabin. Is this the case? I would be interested in duplicating this test. Can you tell me where you got your pressure guages, etc? Or at least let me know how you did the testing. Thanks.
We used a manometer. Which is basically a U shaped tube with a liquid in it. Each end of the tube has a hose on it. One side stays disconnected (atmospheric pressure) and the other was inserted into a small drilled hole on the air box. As you drive, the liquid is pushed toward the side with less pressure (atmospheric air pressure in our case) and a measurement can be made.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:00 PM
mwaller

Two questions --
1) Can you buy the Injen tube by itself? (without the filter etc.?)
2) Does installing the injen tube require any cutting / permanent modification of stock parts?
Thanks!
Mika
Old 07-10-2003, 03:47 PM
peptidbond

VandyZ,

You know, I took years of physics and chemistry in college. Shows what college is worth. I have used those things a million times and did not even think about it. THANKS MAN for being smarter than me. I am off to experiment.
Old 07-10-2003, 05:31 PM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by mwaller
Two questions --
1) Can you buy the Injen tube by itself? (without the filter etc.?)
2) Does installing the injen tube require any cutting / permanent modification of stock parts?
Thanks!
Mika
1.) No, unless you find a used one for sale, which no one would sell just the upper tube.
2.) No permanent modification at all, or cutting. It just bolts on.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Nissan350ZTT
2.) No permanent modification at all, or cutting. It just bolts on.
Well for that "perfect" fit I did cut 1/4" off the end of the Ingen tube (on the airbox side).
Old 07-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by VandyZ
Well for that "perfect" fit I did cut 1/4" off the end of the Ingen tube (on the airbox side).
I think he meant just the Injen CAI, maybe not, oh well.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Zsilverstone13

Can this set up have better performance gain than the CAI?
Old 07-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Brandon@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Internals.com

Originally posted by Zsilverstone13
That's sort of like what VandyZ did. That carbon fiber is just for looks though...
Old 07-11-2003, 10:57 AM
VandyZ

Originally posted by Zsilverstone13
Probably . . .that keeps an "airbox" effect plus it has a velocity stack. It is very interesting! That is what I wanted to do but it was just easier to keep the stock box.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Zsilverstone13

Originally posted by VandyZ
Probably . . .that keeps an "airbox" effect plus it has a velocity stack. It is very interesting! That is what I wanted to do but it was just easier to keep the stock box.
That box cost like 1K+....probably not worth the money. I am just wondering is the cone filter better than the regular one(the stock shape).
Old 08-22-2005, 01:51 AM
lopchild

Default cai

Bull CRAP! I noticed major gain in high end with my AEM. BIG gain with top end. I couldnt beleive it. Felt like it was turboed.

Originally Posted by VandyZ
If you do a search you will see that we (VandyZ, dougrace zs, Evil350Z) have already done the research as far as the stock setup goes.

We are ramming air at speed . . . STOCK! The air box is pressurized at speed and WOT. This means as the engine is sucking in the air on the TB side the air box is pressurized with plenty of air on that side. It is kind of hard to improve that. You put a CAI on and you loose that effect. It sounds cool and the temp might be a little different (not enough to notice a gain) but there is no real performance value in a CAI.

I made up my own system. I have a stock air box with K&N going to an Injen upper tube (eliminates the plastic piece with accordion bend) to my Crawford Performance Plenum. Sounds very good, still ramming air, smooth airflow, and makes good power.