Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

LC-1 shows -:-:-

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 AM
05Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LC-1 shows -:-:-

I have read the directions several times and have done the recalibration about 6 times, and whenever I reconnect the O2 sensor and start up the car all I get is -.-.- on my XD-16. I looked at all the wires and everything is connected. What could be going on? Am I missing somthing? Everything on the calibration side goes smooth, it's when the sensor is plugged into the test-pipe that things go wrong.

Last edited by 05Z33; 05-07-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
05Z33

WOW! no replies yet.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM
mowgli29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I could help, but I'm not running the xd-16 gauge.

I just hooked up the lc-1 with the ssi-4 so I could datalog AFR against RPM. Since I'm not running the gauge I just have the dinky little LED hooked up.
I had a code at first, but that was because my battery sucked. Hooked up a charger and it was fine.

Have you calibrated both the lc-1 (free air calibration) and the sensor heater? IIRC, there are two different calibration procedures and the initial setup has a pretty strict sequence to be followed. You may want to check out the forums at innovate's website.

If you followed the manual, I would assume everything is calibrated and whatnot...I speculate there's a cimmunication problem between the LC-1 and the gauge. Do you have other innovate devices in the "log chain?" If so, read the manual and make sure you have them chained in an acceptable order. Also, make sure you have serial "plug" in the "serial in" connection of the LC-1 if you don't have anything plugged into it. Have you made sure the gauge is wired correctly to the lc-1?

Maybe it's possible the sensor may not be fully warmed up yet. I think ti takes 30-60 seconds to heat up, maybe it displays that while it's heating...?

Also, is the xd-16 behaving properly when calibrating?

Last edited by mowgli29; 05-07-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
05Z33

I triple checked everything and calibration goes smoothe every time. I'm going to try a different ground tomorrow. Hopefully this will fix it.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:54 PM
mowgli29

Are you talking ground for the LC-1 or the gauge? Where is it currently grounded?

and doesn't innovate recommend the block for a ground

I thought I remembered reading that, but that's not where I gounded to and it's logging fine for me....
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 PM
05Z33

The ground I'm using is the one from the cigarette lighter. I also have my A/F, boost, and oil temp gauge grounded there. Do you think this might be the problem? Also as far as calibration goes, it states in the instructions that when calibration is complete wait 30 seconds before starting your car. Sorry for the dumb question. Do you plug the sensor in and then restart the car or do you do it with the sensor still out? I have been pluging the sensor back into the exhaust prior to restart.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
mowgli29

Originally Posted by 05Z33
The ground I'm using is the one from the cigarette lighter. I also have my A/F, boost, and oil temp gauge grounded there. Do you think this might be the problem? Also as far as calibration goes, it states in the instructions that when calibration is complete wait 30 seconds before starting your car. Sorry for the dumb question. Do you plug the sensor in and then restart the car or do you do it with the sensor still out? I have been pluging the sensor back into the exhaust prior to restart.
check these out:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...9482#post49482

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/f...ead.php?t=5107
Old 05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
mowgli29

does the xd-16 always show dashes?

it should show different codes when calibrating the sensor, the heater, warming up...

and do you have devices other than the lc-1 and xd-16? I'm assuming it's just these two devices...

If I were you, I'd do this:
Go back to step one. Disconnect the xd-16 and unplug the sensor from the lc-1. We want to setup the lc-1 first, then move on to calibrating the sensor and adding the xd-16 into the picture.

-For setting up the lc-1, make sure it's wired up, but the sensor is UNPLUGGED from it. (it would help to have the led wired up because it helps see if the calibration goes properly and shows any possible error codes).

-Power up the lc-1 for 20 seconds.

-After twenty seconds, power off the lc-1 and connect it to the sensor.

-Leaving the sensor in free air, make sure it's securely plugged into the lc-1.

-power the lc-1 on for 2 minutes. This is where the LED comes in handy. It should blink slowly and steadily to indicate a warming sensor. If it blinks a certain number of times and then pauses, you have an error code. (you can look up the code in the manual) It may take up to 1 minute to heat the sensor.

-after it heats up, the lc-1 automatically calibrates its heater controller to your specific oxygen sensor. during this calibration, the LED will blink fast and steady.

-now the sensor will automatically perform free-air calibration. the LED will go off while calibrating. (about 2 seconds)

-now the led should light up steadily indicating the sensor is heated and ready for use.

-At this point, power off the lc-1 and install the sensor into the exhaust.

-Now, every time you start the car, the sensor should heat itself up (LED blinking steadily) and after 30-60 seconds, the LED should remain constantly on to indicate readiness.

now, apparently you can (maybe you're supposed to?) program devices in the log chain. to do this, plug the terminator into the device's "serial in" and plug the serial (db-9) cable into the device's "serial out." The serial cable goes to the laptop and you use LMProgrammer. When programming devices, only have one device connected at a time. Don't try to program devices with the whole log chain hooked up.

I never programmed any devices, because I don't have an xd-16 and didn't need to program the ssi-4 has an RPM channel by default. But, apparently there are features you can customize on the xd-16 by programming it.

anyway, once you're done programming (if you need to), connect everything in the log chain.

The LC-1 should always be at the beginning of the chain, furthest from the laptop. That means the terminator plug should be in the LC-1's "serial in," and it's "serial out" should then be plugged into (using the daisy-chain cable) the "serial in" of the xd-16 gauge.

If that doesn't work...I don't know what to tell you! Certainly try different grounding points. Make sure grounds for all devices in the log chain share a common point (frame or block being the best.) That little LED can really be helpful too...

Last edited by mowgli29; 05-07-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:02 AM
BrazenZ

I just read your thread, I had the same thing happen to me a couple of different vehicles. Dude your module ( not the O2 sensor or the X-16 gauge ) is fried. Innovate is usually good for sending replacement

Last edited by BrazenZ; 05-08-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:24 AM
05Z33

So you think it's fried? Did yours calibrate perfect every time? My lc1 caibrates perfect and then after the sensor is pluged in it show the xd-16 heating, then 20.9 shows on the screen, followed by flashing between O2 and A/F numbers bouncing from 4.5-20.9, and finnally the dashes. Sorry for the run on sentence.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:10 AM
mowgli29

I read on the innovate forums about people speculating theirs' were fried...I was just hoping this was not the case, as I didn't want you to get the wrong impression and thin the lc-1 is crap. If you can get it working...the lc-1 is about the best (consumer level) wideband you can buy. It's the only digital one, and the only one that can calibrate itself to free air accurately. All other widebands calibrate according to a resistor. Over time, the properties of the resistor change and that throws the calibration off. The lc-1 has been proven to be within .1 AFR of the actual AFR. I've seen other sensors be as far as 1.0AFR off!!!

Anyway, I'm just saying try to stick with the lc-1 for its accuracy. You should probably contact Innovate or maybe post a thread on their forums and an administrator may help out.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:28 AM
BrazenZ

Originally Posted by 05Z33
So you think it's fried? Did yours calibrate perfect every time? My lc1 caibrates perfect and then after the sensor is pluged in it show the xd-16 heating, then 20.9 shows on the screen, followed by flashing between O2 and A/F numbers bouncing from 4.5-20.9, and finnally the dashes. Sorry for the run on sentence.
I are sure it's recalibrating or is it just going through the prompt seqence with no new input data? The "-:-:-" display is like the "blue screen of death" in Windows XP. Call the Tech expert with innovate, I think his name is Perry (maybe not). This happen to me twice on one vehicle. Innovate made good on the modules and it has ran perfectly ever since.

Last edited by BrazenZ; 05-08-2008 at 09:41 AM.