Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

JWT Clutch/Flywheel Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:29 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default JWT Clutch/Flywheel Review

Just in case anyone is considering this combo I thought I'd share my experience. I just installed a new transmission, clutch, flywheel, SS clutch line all supplied from ImportPartsPro (minus the free Nissan transmission) for $775. It was well worth the money, and I notice much better throttle response from this new flywheel & setup. The engine revs much quicker with the clutch down or in neutral. The clutch isn't much harder than stock, but grabs quicker and smoother. There is slight chatter from 0-2k RPMs, but it is quite negligible. Overall my car is quieter now, likely due in large part to a brand new transmission, but I don't think the new lightweight flywheel would've made it much louder either way. If you're debating the lightweight flywheel because of chatter issues, don't worry about it for this particular combination. Unless you want of course a completely silent luxurious car, but in that case get a BMW.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM
THE_SCHROED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is sitting in the box waiting for install, can't wait.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:43 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. How does the break-in process look like?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by raf84ny
Honestly... I kind of skipped the break in process... but I'm sure it will be fine.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by raf84ny
In my case (same setup minus the SS line), less than about a week. It engaged very "grabby" at first and yes, I stalled the car backing it out more than once the first day. Very soon thereafter it was just fine, took a small amount of getting used to, can only say good things about the setup today. +1 for the review above, too. Have 17k miles on mine now, it's a great combo with such positive engagement and light FW rev-happy response. W/o going into great detail on trans input/output shaft speeds, etc, I also think it's easier on the trans, smoother and easier on the sychros which at least back '03-'04 MY have been known to have issues.

+1 on "chatter" and noise comments, it's minimal and not even audible to me w/o windows down, stopped, idle with clutch out. If you want uber quiet then go buy a different car anyway, the VQ35DE has a nice growl esp when angry.

I posted some other misc info on same here, incl my opinion of the OEM clutch
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....20#post5776020
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
SteveZ

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Just in case anyone is considering this combo I thought I'd share my experience. I just installed a new transmission...
What was your trans issue? Just curious.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 AM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by SteveZ
What was your trans issue? Just curious.
3rd Gear syncro was fubar, and would cause me to grind into 3rd badly when shifting fast. Also when downshifting into 1st there was a loud winding noise. I didn't realize the noise wasn't normal until I got this new transmission though.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
SteveZ

Pretty familiar, saw my first one of those in March 2003, guy lost his 3rd gear entirely, had the same issue on his '03. At least the trans was covered, guessing that Nissan wasn't too shocked to hear about it. Good move going JWT, this guy got hit up for an OEM FW and OEM clutch, his trans was gone and also for some reason his clutch MC which I find weird, that's sort of rare w/o age or dirty fluid, etc.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....20#post5776020
Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
z2envy

I have the same combo and love it as well.. My clutch chatter is not to bad I've gotten over or it pretty much already. When driving with the AC on though I do notice it alil louder then normal but other then that I like it alot.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:24 PM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Just in case anyone is considering this combo I thought I'd share my experience. I just installed a new transmission, clutch, flywheel, SS clutch line all supplied from ImportPartsPro (minus the free Nissan transmission) for $775. It was well worth the money, and I notice much better throttle response from this new flywheel & setup. The engine revs much quicker with the clutch down or in neutral. The clutch isn't much harder than stock, but grabs quicker and smoother. There is slight chatter from 0-2k RPMs, but it is quite negligible. Overall my car is quieter now, likely due in large part to a brand new transmission, but I don't think the new lightweight flywheel would've made it much louder either way. If you're debating the lightweight flywheel because of chatter issues, don't worry about it for this particular combination. Unless you want of course a completely silent luxurious car, but in that case get a BMW.
Great review! Makes me want to up it on my priority list.

However, having owned 3 BMWs I can tell you that their drivetrain is far superior to what's in the Z. Clutch feel and consistency of engagement point as well as the throw and feel of the 'box is why I keep buying them. From E46 convertible, to E30 M3 to E91 sport wagon. All manual. All great.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:07 PM
FAIRLADYZ_MANnE

would nissan cover your new transmisson under warrenty with the jwt combo
Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FAIRLADYZ_MANnE
would nissan cover your new transmisson under warrenty with the jwt combo
NO!
Old 06-01-2008, 07:09 PM
THE_SCHROED

Has anyone had any problems with the JWT throwout bearing? One of the other South MS guys had problems installing it and he said it was the throwout bearing that was causing the problem. I'm gettin a little worried now cause I don't want mine to act up like his did. He said it was making a lot of noise.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM
draoz4

damn this suck my transmision is bad and i just bought the car lol at first i didnt hear anything and then like 3 weeks later my 3rd gear grinds to hell when i shift fast i dont know what to do any hints my car isnt under warranty anymore so it sucks
Old 08-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Will_Evo

Originally Posted by draoz4
damn this suck my transmision is bad and i just bought the car lol at first i didnt hear anything and then like 3 weeks later my 3rd gear grinds to hell when i shift fast i dont know what to do any hints my car isnt under warranty anymore so it sucks

lol I'm jp I have no idea how to help you with that one.

Good review..I may be bumping this mod up to be at the same time as gears.

Evo
Old 07-26-2014, 09:21 AM
wd_campbell

I got the package and am having in installed today.... But I'm having an issue getting the throwout bearing to line up with the slave cylinder. Did anyone else have this problem and if so, how did you fix it? Does it require a different slave cylinder than the OEM one?

Last edited by wd_campbell; 07-26-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:31 AM
wd_campbell

Unhappy

Originally Posted by THE_SCHROED
Has anyone had any problems with the JWT throwout bearing? One of the other South MS guys had problems installing it and he said it was the throwout bearing that was causing the problem. I'm gettin a little worried now cause I don't want mine to act up like his did. He said it was making a lot of noise.
Was it not lining up with the slave cylinder? If so, did he by any chance say how he resolved te issue? Doing this today and my mechanic hit the same issue which is why I'm asking. Trying to get it finished today :/