Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Exedy Flywheel Reluctor Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 AM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exedy Flywheel Reluctor Failure

Has anyone had the reluctor wheel on the Exedy lightweight flywheel come apart and destroy not only itself, but the crankshaft position sensor?

A friends 350Z shut down last night and upon checking it out today, I found pieces of what I have ID'd to be the reluctor, (the steel part with slots in it that triggers the CPS) as from looking through the bellhousing inspection ports, is missing.

It appears that on the stock flywheel, it is welded in position, and the aftermarket ones I have found pictures of it is forged as part of the flywheel itself. The exedy has standoffs and it appears it was either bolted on, or riveted, so replacement may be possible.

I instructed him to contact Exedy and see what they say. I'm just curious if this is an isolated case, which due to lack of threads here about it, I expect, or a widespread issue that may have been addressed in the past.

Has anyone seen this before or have an answer if it is available as a replacement part?

Thanks,
JRM
Old 06-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine hasnt destroyed the sensor but it is throwing a code. i will let you know when I pull the flywheel off.