Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

SprintBooster Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:18 PM
ulownz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SprintBooster Review

I've been following the popularity of the SprintBooster in the E60 and Mercedes forums for quite sometime. Once I heard they developed one for the 350z, I decided it was time to taste the snake oil.

For those that want an in depth review on it, read about it here.

Price wise, yes it's a little steep - $290-330 but I find the immediate throttle response to be well worth it and complimentary to my mods. And for those curious of its performance, I made a small video below.

N-j0y.

View My Video
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM
SniperHunter

Well...I can certainly say that you're 0-60 acceleration isn't any different than most other Zs. And throttle response certainly isn't one of the Z's faults - if anything, it's overly sensitive, as I can barely apply any kind of pressure to the pedal as is.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Vader007

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been reading about these as well, I'm glad you posted as I was looking into this mod for myself. I will get one ths summer for sure!
Where did you get yours?
Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
ulownz

I got it from BMW Mania.

I had to wait quite sometime due to backorder. Hopefully you'll have better luck!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:10 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say I'm very spectacle of this mod. All this does is improve the lagtime of the throttle response.... which is humanly negligible. I can't see the car actually performing physically any faster. I'd like to see some more hard-evidence comparisons with/without this device.

Lightweight flywheel seems like money better spent to me.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:35 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

I wasn't aware than an application was available for the 350Z. I know quite a few people who have them on their e60s and are quite happy with it.

The sprintbooster deals with the lag introduced by the drive-by-wire system. The slight lag between depressing the throttle and actually getting any response. With the sprintbooster, throttle response is supposed to be instantaneous and by many reports, very noticeable. The only complaint that may arise is it being a bit too touchy in first gear if your just pedaling along.

Throttle response in these terms is different than a car revving faster due to a lightweight flywheel.

Before the sprintbooster, there were not many mods that would help with the lag from the drive-by wire throttle. I don't believe that reflashes from the likes of technosquare have any effect on this.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:32 PM
coldmack

So what is the update here? If i get this along with let say grounding kits how much better would response be with these two?
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 PM
coldmack

anyone?
Old 08-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Blitz now has a similar unit that a few here posted reviews on in the past few days

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...mt&prodid=3307
Old 08-21-2008, 05:49 AM
ProjectPSI

I had the oportunity to test the sprint booster on my car and although I did notice a a quicker throttle response it wasnt a big enough difference for me to justify spending the money on this. To each his own tho.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Blitz now has a similar unit that a few here posted reviews on in the past few days

Do you know how the Blitz product compares to the Sprintbooster? Blitz device seems more advance. Do you have a picture of it installed in a car? It be cool if there was a little more features for the price.

Last edited by KhanMan; 08-21-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Hmm, I was about to post about this. How do you think the two compare?

Oh and you're going to put this on your car. Don't you have the HKS DLII which offers similar benefits?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Just push the pedal harder...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

DLI II has nothing at all in common with the Blitz Throttle controller

Pushing the pedal harder is a pretty common reply lolol...but it's still not the same. This takes the factory pedal effort to throttle body plate opening ratio and multiplies it, such that a small throttle input translates into a larger thottle plate opening.

Sorry I can't compare it to the sprintbooster product at all.

As for features I guess I don't understand what you mean. It's a sigular unit made to due a single thing...and that's exactly what it does It has a few dfferent modes as well. As far as install pics, not much to look at. The unit is the same size as their turbo timers, so it is very very small and able to be tucked away anywhere
Old 08-21-2008, 08:04 PM
KhanMan

Well sprintbooster is suppose to remove the lag. Is this Blitz product removing the lag or just making the ecu adjust the throttle work harder at earlier? It also seems like it would use more gas also. What other products are out there on the market to remove the throttle lag? I can push as hard as I want but there about a 1 second lag when I do(specially off the line).

Last edited by KhanMan; 08-21-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I'd suggest you ask the people who have already put it in and/or read the few reviews that were posted this week on the Blitz, and perhaps they can tell you. Reducing the lag and altering the % of throttle opening relative to gas pedal is exactly the same thing. They operate in unison. Other things that can improve throttle response are pullies, flywheels, etc. I have not yet used the Blitz as I've said, so I am just relaying the info that I know based on what I found out searching/reading the info posted by Blitz and people who have used the unit on this car and other cars. Is it going to use more gas? Perhaps. If gas mileage is a primary concern, leaving the car stock is always your best bet IMHO
Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
KhanMan

Well I did read the two reviews of the Blitz and the rest of one of the threads was referring to how it not good for the car and such and that an ECU re-flash is worth the extra $120 or so. My primary concern is not gas saving but getting rid of the lag. By the looks of it, the SprintBooster does that with out really using more gas, or tricking the ecu to open 60% when it is at 40% like the Blitz product maybe do doing. If I am wrong by all means go ahead and correct me.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I think you need to re-read exactly what each product does - they do exactly the same thing based on my quick read of their site. They both open the tb more for the given movement in the gas pedal. The Blitz unit has the reverse cancellation option available, as has 2 different modes. The SpringBooster has no such display, no different modes, etc. This has no affect on the ecu at all, and no tuning is required of the ecu. Anything that opens the throttle sooner can theoretically use more fuel...there is no way around that. As for reducing the "lag", not sure what to tell you there. I have owned, and currently own, more than a few drive by wire cars over the years and the Z has had the best setup I've used to date. I don't find it to be particularly laggy, but I'm always interested in improving throttle response. There always is room for improvement. Of course like anything else in the "feel" department, no one can tell you if you are going to feel a difference. The only way to know is to try it yourself.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:18 PM
KhanMan

thank you.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

DLI II has nothing at all in common with the Blitz Throttle controller

Pushing the pedal harder is a pretty common reply lolol...but it's still not the same. This takes the factory pedal effort to throttle body plate opening ratio and multiplies it, such that a small throttle input translates into a larger thottle plate opening.

Sorry I can't compare it to the sprintbooster product at all.

As for features I guess I don't understand what you mean. It's a sigular unit made to due a single thing...and that's exactly what it does It has a few dfferent modes as well. As far as install pics, not much to look at. The unit is the same size as their turbo timers, so it is very very small and able to be tucked away anywhere
I understand what the sprintbooster does, but in terms of the HKS DLII, the HKS is supposed to improve throttle response as well. The approach is different, but in the end, they offer a similar benefit.

Just saying, that if you have the HKS DLII along with other products that already improve throttle response, then the benefits of something like the sprintbooster or blitz piece may not be as readily noticed.