msink

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cant we get that dyno posted HERE?

Thanks

Mark
Old 07-24-2003, 09:08 AM
2003z

Too much trouble to resize them and repost here.

this is what I have found out so far:
- My a/f ratio, from way back when I was stock, has always been ~14.5:1, before and after mods.

- The dyno facility compared other 350Zs and they were ~13:1 in stock form, then ~14.5:1 modified.

- The facility dyno'd a different car last nite, check that data and the a/f (Hariba Wideband O2 sensor) is reading correctly.

- The ecu flash should lower it to 12.5:1 but isn't for some reason. That is what we need to figure out.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:09 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chebosto..

Your basing your input on word of mouth, "from nissan"? Facts are needed, no adaquate r&d done by you guys, cause like i said, you didnt tear down any engines, you didnt blow an engine, how can you judge its limitations?

Yes some people will live at high rpms, dont make assumptions, I would take my car to the track, which I would be spending 6 hours at 5000+.

I thank you for your time and if im not mistaken, your not even employed by Technosquare "figures they are cheap anyway", but I am questioning them, not you. Your not a representative of them, so you have nothing to loose.

Except your engine..

Originally posted by Chebosto
You want me to blow my engine, so i can prove to you that a 7100 rpm redline is adequately safe?

the 7300-7400 limit was told to us by Nissan.

R&D was done to provide the customer with a safe and reliable product that increases the performance of an already good performing car. Yes we did take in consideration prolonged effect, but are you the driver going to be driving the car at 7100 everywhere you go? thats only on ocassions where you will be prolongng the shift, no one is going to drive in 2nd gear down the street at 7100 bouncing off the rev limiter, are you?

i can understand your concerns, but the cam rods will start stretching with prolonged revs past 7300 rpms and that is when you will get systematic engine failure.

hitting rev limiter to activate a fuel starvation is definately more damaging than revving past 7k once in a while.. and also just because its set at 7100 doesnt mean you have to go all the way up there anyway. its for those occassions when you forget to shift faster. its an extra buffer zone. you're supposed to shift before 6600 anyway since the power curve is already on the way down.

as far as pricing goes, we've been over this before.

the price includes warranty and customer support, something companies dont have any more. why? because Technos would rather sell less computers at a cheaper price, and be able to take care of its customers whenever they need help or assistance. I dont know about you, but i've seen companies punch out loads of crap products at cheap prices, but never follow up or care about the customers. Price is set at market value.

i, as well, care about the forum enthusiasts just like the next guy. why do you think i would sacrifice my time and my effort, if i was some joe trying to pull a fast one? thats not who i am. nor should anyone think that. I am a person that wants stuff done, so i get out and do it my self. i would rather be the person to bring in new products rather than be the person sitting at home whining about all the crap stuff out there. if you feel my time has been wasted, then do something about it and quit whining. everyone has a choice on which mods to get. i just choose to develop and assist the products i want to see.. i wish everyone was like this so there would be more products to choose from.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:21 AM
cbsuper

barnicle, why are you bustin Cheboto's *****? You've already made it clear that you don't want this product so why continue to bash him over it? You can always wait for a $1000 ECU replacement to come out that addresses all of your concerns.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:21 AM
2003z

just curious, anyone know what the rpm cutout is on the japan spec r-tune ecu? It would figure if its safe for them, its safe for us.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chebosto..

because nissan tore down the engine and told us the operating limitations. if you really want us to blow a freakin motor, then cough up a motor. the rpm limitations were based on calculations and estimates from both parties.

yes some people WILL live at 5k+, but even with or without raising the rev limiter, that is not recommended, modified or stock car.

and you are correct. i am not employed by TechnoSquare.. but i take on the responsibility to represent them and defend them when necessary. Everything i'm saying comes from a logical point of view. I just believe its unfair to judge a company/product unless you have had experiences with them personally. other than that, everything people post is heresay. its not fair for them to get blasted online.

I have alot to lose. namely my reputation and honor. (including my motor!) something that i take seriously. i would like people to trust what i post.

Mike's dynos are weird. even with % error factored in. hence i'm trying to get to the facts. we're working around a solution, even he himself says its not the ECU flash and it might be his car..

Originally posted by barnicleboy
I thank you for your time and if im not mistaken, your not even employed by Technosquare "figures they are cheap anyway", but I am questioning them, not you. Your not a representative of them, so you have nothing to loose.

Except your engine..
Old 07-24-2003, 09:57 AM
peptidbond

I am with Cheston and 2003z hear. They have always presented a balanced argument with little rationalization. They are right...2003z needs to find out why his A/F is off and what effect it is having. This is just one dyno on a car that 2003z has been trying to get straight for some time (IIRC). Barnicle, to express a negative opinion is fine, but I think you have reached a point where you are out of line.

As for the rev limiter, it comes up way to fast on this engine. It is very easy to smack right into it. Even if you are cognizant of where it is, sometimes it is tough to shift in time. By raising it, it gives you more time. You don't have to go all the way to 7200. You can start your shift at 6500 and be sure that you will not hit the limiter.

Mike's dynos are weird. even with % error factored in. hence i'm trying to get to the facts. we're working around a solution, even he himself says its not the ECU flash and it might be his car
Good point Cheston. Lets use this thread to help Mike and yourself to find the issue. Either way, it is win win. Mike will figure his car out and you may find a small glitch that will improve the ECU. Barincles bashing will certainly help no one, including himself.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:11 AM
VQ35DES

Think Ill just go simple and safe and go with the Apexi SAFCII?
Old 07-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Zakira

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about the r-tune ECU, but most major tuners in Japan already offer ECUs. I read they've raised their rev-limiter to 7100 as well. This info is from the Hyper-Rev book on the Z.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:34 AM
ZON

Originally posted by Chebosto
Mike will be retesting with a stock exhaust... those A/F numbers are off the chart.. and should be smooth, not jagged like that at all.. does anyone else see that besides me? or is everyone on a death march to dispute my claims of power claim and jump on the band wagon w/o seeing it in person?

If you think this is a POS ECU flash, then you can be my guest and create another one.

Morgan Hill is close to Yuichi's shop. why dont you pay him a visit and ride in his car to feel the ECU.
I say we should line up our Z's and run to 130 mph. Sorry I'm not on your band wagon. I just don't believe that a ECU flash that won't net me at least 10 hp is worth it to me. And I'm still waiting for hard data that the stock ECU negates my mods. As far as i can tell my Borla duel exhaust is still kicking ***. I have before and after dyno's of that install and I must get back to do another after hundreds of miles since. But it's really hard to schedule and get back over there. Chebosto, I am dying for this ECU of yours to prove me wrong, I want to be wrong about this for some reason. Prove me wrong and I will be your best friend. And i apologize for my hurtfull rant.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:48 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is MY problem with it, not sure if it was clear. lets ASSUME that it gives you 7hp in a stock car, I think thats what it got you chebesto, right? around there. now lets also assume that your car is IDENTICAL to everyone elses, so they too will get 7hp on a stock car.

alright, 600$ or so for it, you get 7hp. not bad.

but if this ecu loses all worth after you modify the exhaust, and maybe anything on the car, where is the value? your supposed to take you 7hp and enjoy it cause if you ever modify further, the ECU wont work anymore.

I hope there are more dynos done, to either prove or disprove this theory. the higher redline doesnt impress me much, unless the high redline lets me finish a quarter mile in 3rd gear; how high is max speed in 3rd at the new redline? needs to be about 106 or so. maybe 104 would do. thats the only place I see a higher redline helping.

as for top speed, Ive never gone over 133, dont think Ill see 155 for a while. certainly never on a track. unless I have a death wish.

owell keep us posted on if you redo the dyno with stock exhaust, Id be very interested to see how that all goes. tho neither way is good, either it helps stock, and not modified, or it helps neither...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:01 AM
ZON

Originally posted by ares

but if this ecu loses all worth after you modify the exhaust, and maybe anything on the car, where is the value? your supposed to take you 7hp and enjoy it cause if you ever modify further, the ECU wont work anymore.

But i thought their claim is that the stock ECU negates mods and this new flash accepts them. I thought that was one of the major selling points!
Old 07-24-2003, 11:09 AM
raceboy
Banned

The only place I can really see a benefit to raising the redline is in autox. The Z's HP drops quickly on the top end, the car is actually faster if you shift 500rpms short of redline as I have seen many times on my G-Tech and in lap times.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:18 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Originally posted by raceboy
The only place I can really see a benefit to raising the redline is in autox. The Z's HP drops quickly on the top end, the car is actually faster if you shift 500rpms short of redline as I have seen many times on my G-Tech and in lap times.
this is absolutely true, the stock hp and torque are on the way DOOWWWN when your at 6600rpm. Unless you got the nismo cams, the 7100rpm is not giving you performance, its giving you room to shift, (and break the motor )
Old 07-24-2003, 11:30 AM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

Originally posted by throbbing_Zon
But i thought their claim is that the stock ECU negates mods and this new flash accepts them. I thought that was one of the major selling points!
That's my understanding also.. Since I have Borla exhaust, I want to take full advantage of it, without ecu reset it back to stock.. But evil350z did dyno the exhaust after ecu reset, and it didn't make any difference.. so much confusion here...
Old 07-24-2003, 11:44 AM
ZON

Originally posted by Apexi350z
That's my understanding also.. Since I have Borla exhaust, I want to take full advantage of it, without ecu reset it back to stock.. But evil350z did dyno the exhaust after ecu reset, and it didn't make any difference.. so much confusion here...
Relax!! ECU does not negate your mods. And how could it possibly know you have a different exhaust. My engine is still loving the Borla Duel, and so am I.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:51 AM
350z4steve

Originally posted by Apexi350z
Maybe the ECU flash does what its supposed to but it all depends on what you are looking for. Clearly the ECU Flash isnt and end all be all Mod working or not. If you really want more power then why go small wait for the Greddy turbo kit or super charger it then there will be no denying the power gains!

beyond an exhaust and maybe a set of cams..the rest is all subject to so many variables so why invest so much in vapor.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:32 PM
D_Nyholm

Damn, some posters really just need to take a chill pill..........

If this motor can't handle 7000, then how the hell can a Mustang Cobra motor do it no problem??? That isn't a ferrari nor a BMW last time I checked....

WHen you all do your own R&D and can make a better ECU, then you have the right to say something...until then, DON'T BUT THE DAMN THING IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT!!! Geez...
Old 07-25-2003, 06:42 AM
barnicleboy
Banned

Originally posted by D_Nyholm

If this motor can't handle 7000, then how the hell can a Mustang Cobra motor do it no problem??? That isn't a ferrari nor a BMW last time I checked....

Mustang cobra can do it because of their valve springs. They are stronger, so you dont get valve float at that speed. The valve springs, cams, chains, lobes, connecting rods and crank are all within spec to allow a 7000rpm on the cobra. There is no vq3d out there with a greater then 6600rpm cutoff. Its not made for greater, and the power is on its way down after it, so I see no reason to even rev beyond 6500 rpm, there is no better acceleration at 6800rpm in 4th gear, then at 5200rpm in fifth. Its all about power bands, our z's cams are not breathing well at 6200rpm+ because there is no variable vale lift, as there is in the other cars I mentinoed, (bmw m3, ferrari's porsche, vtec honda's),

we have cvtcs, which is valve timing, there is also ignition timing whcih every car pretty much has. Valve lift control is fancier, and allows for a broader power curve.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:06 AM
stx

Originally posted by D_Nyholm

WHen you all do your own R&D and can make a better ECU, then you have the right to say something...until then, DON'T BUT THE DAMN THING IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT!!! Geez...
Sure the motor can spin up to 7000+. You can take off the rev limiter and change the cams and spin it as high as you want. The problem is how long it will run at those speeds without catastrophic failure if you don't change engine internals.

Hell I had a 280Z I changed the cam in. One day I raced a mustang 5.0 and we were neck in neck. I was in 5th gear and I decided to take it past redline and try to top out the car to see if I could get the win. Well I took it past redline and it was still spinning and then the engine just blew. I was only past redline for about 20 to 30 seconds when the engine failed.

Quick Reply: before/after Technos ECU dyno results