Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 411Z
ooh sick burn.... but true.
Hey but thanks for the fread. twas fun.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:12 PM
j.arnaldo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys: Does the 'O4 Touring Coupe have LSD? I couldn't find anything related to that in my Owner's Manual. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by surfcity40
In drifting you're gonna break loose. Might as well break loose under some kind of control.

In drag racing, you don't want to spin. It eats time.
i had my share of near spin outs in my old mustang and camaro ss, saved by getting off the gas. i get a bit loose with my Z but she straightens herself out without getting off the gas with lsd.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Pat Bateman

Originally Posted by iStan
Your movie referencing sucks. The kids did not have positraction, hense two tire burnouts were left on the scene.
Duh.
And lets not forget the independent rear suspension.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:43 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

But that only explained the burn marks over the median.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:58 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
Guys: Does the 'O4 Touring Coupe have LSD? I couldn't find anything related to that in my Owner's Manual. Thanks.

Yes
Old 07-15-2008, 05:29 AM
pfregeolle

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by surfcity40

BTW, The Z has a Viscous LSD.

Some do. Mine doesn't. : (

Cusco RS LSD FTW...

...if I had $1200 to spend.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:39 AM
shakuya88

Originally Posted by j.arnaldo
If it's the 6MT I'm pretty sure it does.

And stupid question, I think I'm backwards on this one. I have an LSD. So I would leave 2 tires marks after a burnout? My friend doesn't have LSD and he's a one wheel wonder...2 friends actually. My sebring, while FWD (FTL) had an open diff and was a one wheel wonder.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:02 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

To the op , $200 for my VLSD with finned cover , in exchange for your open diff. I'm in Vegas and can do all the work.

Last edited by terrasmak; 07-17-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Dave B

I wish the misconception that VLSD helps these cars on a launch would end. The VLSD, actually most any LSD, will not help on a launch at the drag strip. The fluid in the clutch packs does not warm up quick enough to grab when you need it to in those first crucial moments of a launch. The LSDs are really only good for one thing and that's for coming out of an off a hard turn at full throttle. People either forget or don't know that the LSDs in these cars can only do a maximum of about a 30% split to the spinning wheel. These differentials do not behave like locker differentials.

Tires makes the biggest difference. Period. With the right tires, an LSD is much of a use. Cars like the Lotus Elise don't come with LSDs, granted they are mid engine though and put more weight over the rear.

My 03 G35 sedan with an open diff will lay two equal strips of rubber on a launch and will happily fish tail. The only time I can get it to peg-leg is on slow off-camber turns.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Hoooper

an LSD will help you launch if you always peg-leg it. if youre open diff and you dont retain traction, you can peg-leg for hours, but with an open diff youll get traction faster. granted its normally not a problem and typically you will get 2 stripes if youre going dead straight even with an open diff, but if you get a little water on 1 tire with an open diff...hello peg-leg. but yes youre right, typically launching its not much of a difference...if you have good tires

Last edited by Hoooper; 07-16-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave B
I wish the misconception that VLSD helps these cars on a launch would end. The VLSD, actually most any LSD, will not help on a launch at the drag strip. The fluid in the clutch packs does not warm up quick enough to grab when you need it to in those first crucial moments of a launch. The LSDs are really only good for one thing and that's for coming out of an off a hard turn at full throttle. People either forget or don't know that the LSDs in these cars can only do a maximum of about a 30% split to the spinning wheel. These differentials do not behave like locker differentials.
Sorry, you are wrong. the fluid warming up has nothing to do with it. it's shear forces on the fluid that matter. the 50-60% lockup the VLSD acheives only goes down as the fluid warms.

I really don't feel like reprinting conversations we have had many many times on this forum, but a VLSD and espeically a clutch type LSD ABSOLUTELY makes a difference in every aspect of driving.

depending on the lockup (my Nismo is very close to 100 if not 100% lockup on accel) depends on how much of an impact you will see though.

Tires makes the biggest difference. Period. With the right tires, an LSD is much of a use. Cars like the Lotus Elise don't come with LSDs, granted they are mid engine though and put more weight over the rear.
you are right, tires are more important than a LSD

My 03 G35 sedan with an open diff will lay two equal strips of rubber on a launch and will happily fish tail. The only time I can get it to peg-leg is on slow off-camber turns.
having crappy tires will let any car overpower the grip
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Motormouth
Banned

whats with everyones hard on with an lsd? and im not a noob posting on why i should get one, because i dont want it. i just dont see why its so great...

now maybe its the drag racer in me, but i love the feeling of both tires spinning and fishing it out around the corner. thats the was a rear wheel drive car should be. a solid axle is the only way to go, imo. now eventually ill take my car out on the road course and see whats up, and maybe ill realize what everyone is saying. but im willing to bet, and i could be wrong, that a good driver with a solid axle can keep up with an lsd. its not that hard.

i dont know a whole lot about the lsd's, but i know it follows the same line as the old posi-trac. i had a posi in my old chevy street rod, and it was just not that fun. one wheel burnouts are gay.

just lookin for an answer on why everyone likes that one wheel drive bs.
there is so much unbelievable FAIL in this post I just don't know what to say... at all. Simply put: you are an idiot. Like a pure, retarded fool.

Pack up and go home.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
WalkerT
Professional

All auto 3.3 gear Z have the vlsd, non-base Z have vlsd. The only way to get both wheels to spin in an open diff is if they both have equal traction. At the drag strip 99% of the time you will do a one wheel burn out. Then you make it worse because one wheel is cleaned off and warm and the other is cold. Most will do two short burn outs at the strip with an open diff. (as I use to do) and it works Ok but not perfect.
I love my nismo lsd it makes corners a lot more fun!

Last edited by WalkerT; 07-16-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by Motormouth
there is so much unbelievable FAIL in this post I just don't know what to say... at all. Simply put: you are an idiot. Like a pure, retarded fool.

Pack up and go home.
lol. agreed. for teh fail, see below:

1) solid axle FTW?
2) having to fish it out around the corner FTW?
3) a good driver with a solid axle could also HAVE an LSD
4) a good driver with a locked diff (is that what you mean by solid axle?) can be just as fast, but more likely to spin
5) nobody likes 1 wheel drive, they just like traction ASAP and controlled
Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Dave B

Originally Posted by Motormouth
Sorry, you are wrong. the fluid warming up has nothing to do with it. it's shear forces on the fluid that matter. the 50-60% lockup the VLSD acheives only goes down as the fluid warms.

I really don't feel like reprinting conversations we have had many many times on this forum, but a VLSD and espeically a clutch type LSD ABSOLUTELY makes a difference in every aspect of driving.

depending on the lockup (my Nismo is very close to 100 if not 100% lockup on accel) depends on how much of an impact you will see though.
You're right, I mis-spoke about the fluid heating up. However, otherwise I'm still right about the VLSD having no advantage other than reducing wheel slippage under extreme situations and that the VLSD offers little help on the launch. The VLSD is the least effective LSD on the market, but it's also the most driver friendly in terms of keeping average to poor drivers from getting in over their heads. When one wheel starting spinning quicker than the other, the fluid between the clutch packs starts to grab the plates to reduce the mismatch in wheel speed, like you said, through shear. The VLSD behaves predictably in it's operation and is smooth. The problem is it reacts slowly compared to other LSDs like the kickass Torsen unit found in many late model F-Bodies. The VLSD is only able to direct a small amount of power to the non-slipping wheel.

Essentially a VLSD will not begin the torque transfer process until one wheel starts to spin. This torque transfer process is neither immediate, nor extremely efficent. So in drag strip situations and even auto cross situations, the VLSD isn't going to do you much good. The advantages are it's cheap and it's predictable. That's overall point I'm trying to make.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Motormouth
Banned

OK, with your elaboration it's closer to being right : )

I in no way was trying to say a VLSD was optimal, or even an upgrade option. I went from open to Clutch type LSD for that fact.

but in the case you would otherwise sit still on the line (in any situation really... street or strip) it will mean the difference in actually moving forward and having a chance of a good run slow or not.

--especially in inclement weather! the VLSD could save your life.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by WalkerT
All auto 3.3 gear Z have the vlsd, non-base Z have vlsd. The only way to get both wheels to spin in an open diff is if they both have equal traction. At the drag strip 99% of the time you will do a one wheel burn out. Then you make it worse because one wheel is cleaned off and warm and the other is cold. Most will do two short burn outs at the strip with an open diff. (as I use to do) and it works Ok but not perfect.
I love my nismo lsd it makes corners a lot more fun!
I will add to your statement: it makes DRIVING more fun.

no matter the situation I can always feel it working. always.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
411Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrasmak
To the op , $20 for my VLSD with finned cover , in exchange for your open diff. I'm in Vegas and can do all the work.
ill pass bud... but thanks for the offer...

and for the guy that called me an idiot. well it turned out to be a well discussed post so i think you fail.

btw: if lsd was so great for drag racing, dont you think that everyone would run them in purpose built race cars? what about nascar? i dont think they run an lsd. im gonna have to agree that tires are more important. an lsd could help a less skilled driver come out of a corner at full throttle, but a skilled driver can roll the throttle out of a turn and accomplish the same thing.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:40 PM
Motormouth
Banned

ill pass bud... but thanks for the offer...

and for the guy that called me an idiot. well it turned out to be a well discussed post so i think you fail.

btw: if lsd was so great for drag racing, dont you think that everyone would run them in purpose built race cars? what about nascar? i dont think they run an lsd. im gonna have to agree that tires are more important. an lsd could help a less skilled driver come out of a corner at full throttle, but a skilled driver can roll the throttle out of a turn and accomplish the same thing.
sshhhhh.... shhhhhh (puts finger up to his mouth). quiet now.

edit: and it's a well discussed (not really) post that has ALREADY been discussed a million times with the same result. which you could have simply searched for reasons why you are an idiot (or what an LSD does, for isntance).

and it's not fail for the topic, which alot of people have trouble grasping... it's the actual content of your post, which is beyond moronic and simply WRONG. not even remotely close to being a coherent explaination of what a LSD does or is and pro/cons. the only reason this thread moved on is most people have a strong enough understanding of what LSDs do that they simply overlooked your words.

Last edited by Motormouth; 07-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Quick Reply: why LSD??