Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

why LSD??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
411Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know, i dont really have a problem talking about a good topic more than once. and obviously there are other people that feel the same way.

and you... your probly one of those guys who sits at his computer all day, and rips people for having an opinion. you knew nothing about cars before you bought a z, and you still dont know anything but mixed information regarding the parts everyone buys for their cars. you tell everyone you get your parts professionally installed, and you tell everyone its because "the car deserves it". when in fact, you dont know shi t about cars and couldnt tell the difference between a wrench and your ***. how about you get off the computer, go out to your car, and get some real world experience working on it. then when you ACTUALLY know what your talking about, come back and tell us how much of an *** you were.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:21 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In a corner the rear tires turn at different rates. The outside tire turning faster than the inside. The purpose of LSD is to apply torque to the tire with traction allowing the car to better negotiate the turn.

Ripken Stadium, Aberdeen, MD 06/2006

In the photo above you can see the inside rear tire almost off the ground. Little point in applying torque to that wheel. LSD puts the torque where it is needed: the outside rear wheel.

Refernce: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential
Old 07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 411Z
ill pass bud... but thanks for the offer...

and for the guy that called me an idiot. well it turned out to be a well discussed post so i think you fail.

btw: if lsd was so great for drag racing, dont you think that everyone would run them in purpose built race cars? what about nascar? i dont think they run an lsd. im gonna have to agree that tires are more important. an lsd could help a less skilled driver come out of a corner at full throttle, but a skilled driver can roll the throttle out of a turn and accomplish the same thing.
You're understanding of things is a bit misqued. You could probably learn alot about what makes an LSD desirable by understanding how they work by doing a bit of research. Do a search on howstuffworks.com and type in limited slip differential. It will go through the basics up to the indepth on how it works and why its desirable.

In terms of Nascar, you should read this, it's a very informative link:

http://stockcarscience.com/blog/inde.../differentials

An LSD is extremely desirable in drag racing, but like anything else, there are different types for different scenarios. There is 1000% absolutely no comparison between a car with an open differential, vs a car with a limited slip
Old 07-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davidv
In a corner the rear tires turn at different rates. The outside tire turning faster than the inside. The purpose of LSD is to apply torque to the tire with traction allowing the car to better negotiate the turn.

In the photo above you can see the inside rear tire almost off the ground. Little point in applying torque to that wheel. LSD puts the torque where it is needed: the outside rear wheel.
not every LSD does this though. A helical differential relies on both wheels being on the ground. As soon as one leaves the ground, it turns into an open diff.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:41 PM
411Z

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
You're understanding of things is a bit misqued. You could probably learn alot about what makes an LSD desirable by understanding how they work by doing a bit of research. Do a search on howstuffworks.com and type in limited slip differential. It will go through the basics up to the indepth on how it works and why its desirable.

In terms of Nascar, you should read this, it's a very informative link:

http://stockcarscience.com/blog/inde.../differentials

An LSD is extremely desirable in drag racing, but like anything else, there are different types for different scenarios. There is 1000% absolutely no comparison between a car with an open differential, vs a car with a limited slip

now that makes a bit more sense to me. thank you for the article, it was a good read.

no i just wanna say to everyone that bags on people for posting topics.... answers from people like z1 is the reason people ask. ill be honest, the search function has never gotten me the information i wanna know. maybe im just too impatient to sit there and sift through all of the results, hoping i wiil find the answer im looking for, when in fact i usually find a bunch of guys saying "fail".

ill admit that i was a little uninformed about these lsd's. but if i hadnt made my post, no one could get me "informed", so i feel like i made a good post.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Not a big deal, and I'm glad it helped! There are ALOT of misconceptions or half informed opinions out there on this topic. The good thing about the LSD topic is that it's really easily understood once you have the facts presented in front of you. What I'll tell you, from my own personal opinion, is that despite all the other work I have done to my car, replacing the stock viscous with a Cusco is absolutely my most favorite - it literally transformed the car in a way no other single mod did
Old 07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
411Z

see i was always under the impression that a limited slip drove one wheel at a constant and aplied power to the other when needed. and i figured that like most other performance parts, one person says it works, so everyone swears by it.

but i still feel that an open diff can be handled, and is ok in certain situations. i know from experience. but now i do see an advantage of an lsd. and i didnt know that a detroit locker was a form of limited slip.