Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Belt problem easy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Bwicked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt problem easy?

Just seeing if I can get any kind of fast input on what happened today. I pullled the car out of the garage to go on a food run and I kinda took off a bit fast in first and heard a noise like something snapped and clanked, got out of car to see what fell out of car and then look back and car makes more noise, idles like crap, and then dies, then a very small amount of smoke came from hood. I take a look inside and the belt that goes around the A/C compressor is torn to a bajillion pieces and got wrapped in the other belts loop as well.

My concern is :is there any other potential damage b/c of this happening? Or will I be able to just replace the belt and be ok? Could the belt have snapped from being to tight/ to lose? I recently installed the new a/c compressor. but it ran fine for several days prior to today as well. Thanks for any input guys/ gals.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 PM
gregom

Did you find out where the smoke was coming from? Is that the only belt that snapped? If its just the AC belt I don't think there really can be much damage. Maybe your AC compressor failed? It can snap from being too tight or lose though, definatly.

Does your car start? How does it idle now? What do you mean crappy idle?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 AM
350ZTheStandard

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will be fine most probably was just a belt that was too tight to begin with after the ac compressor was installed. Get a new belt & set the tension correctly. Learn from the mistake & move on.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Bwicked

Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently on my way to get a new belt and set teh tension correctly lol. I havent started it back up since the snap. I just rolled it back into the garage. WAs way to scared to break something if those belts were messed up. Will update after install
Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Originally Posted by 350ZTheStandard
You will be fine most probably was just a belt that was too tight to begin with after the ac compressor was installed. Get a new belt & set the tension correctly. Learn from the mistake & move on.
+1.

It shouldn't cause any damage. As stated above, replace and tighten properly. Wait a couple days, check, and retighten if necessary...
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Bwicked

Problem solved, turns out my Idler pully by my A/C side came off! lol. so i have no clue where it is, I looked pretty hard for it after I heard the snap and today when I knew what I lost. anyone know what the idler pullley cost lol? Gotta order from nissan I assume. Cars driving fine though, just no A/c eggghhhh