Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about a mod????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 12:39 PM
peptidbond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radical racing is preparing a set, but rumor is that they yield little gain. As for the "Y" pipe, forget it. It cannot be used with the Borla. Furthermore, as soon as you add a turbo, you may have to ditch it anyhow. My feeling is the the Borla would be a good exhaust for a turbo application. The overall volume within the pipes is larger than a single 3". However, I know little about turbo exhausts, so this might not be a good thing.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:52 PM
Sillent Killer

Thanks, That just saved me about $1,100. I also want to know if there is anything to be gained with a flywheel? I know there is not a hp and tourque gain but it is supposed to help you accelerate faster and help your 0-60 times.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Originally posted by Sillent Killer
Plus there is an instant 15 RWHP gain.
Just curious, has this been documented anywhere with a dyno or is that just a guess?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:18 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by zxsaint
Just curious, has this been documented anywhere with a dyno or is that just a guess?
It is posted on this site: http://www.i-m-racing.com/nir35setofca.html

Don't know how they got the number, but that is what they said.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:26 PM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I meant the claim of test pipes @ 15rwhp gain.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:35 PM
little_rod

Oh, sorry lol. Just trying to help. Don't think anyone has dynoed the test pipes for gains.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Sillent Killer

There is supposed to be about a 14 RWHP gain with the LSDunique.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Sillent Killer

Also, What are the benefits of a flywheel? I don't want to spend $400 for something that does little.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:16 PM
chris_garey

it cuts down on the rotational weight that the engine has to spin. by reducing the weight it requires a lesser forced to increase rpms which gives a quicker response and usually means quicker acceleration. possibly not the most scientific explanation but pretty much what happens...i think
Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Sillent Killer

How much would a 0-60 time increase by approximately?

Also, Is it worth it or should I spend my money elsewhere?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:58 PM
little_rod

Well, when you talk flywheels, you are talking more about the labor than the actual flywheel. To pull a transmission out to just put in a new flywheel is a lot of money, while you are in there, you just as well replace the clutch also. Personally, I will look into it when I have to replace the clutch.

The test pipes (if you can and would do them) will give you the most bang for the buck installed.

Last edited by little_rod; 08-18-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:08 PM
Sillent Killer

So I take it is not worth the $400 for just the flywheel.

Then I will save my money and replace the clutch and flywheel together later on.

One problem is that I can't find any aftermarket clutches made for the 350Z. If anyone can find one than please tell me where to get one. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:57 PM
little_rod

Well, I would encourage you to call some places and get estimates on getting a flywheel installed. You never know what kind a deal you can get til you try.

One thing, the search function could help you alot with your questions.
Old 08-18-2003, 07:15 PM
FLY BY Z

And your HP estimates are horribly inflated. FI could bump your power really well, but all the mods you listed are NOT going to give you even close to the power you associated with them.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:05 AM
Sillent Killer

Oh well...then I'll take what ever RWHP I get after doing the mods.

How much do you think I will have after I put in the GReddy TT, Borla TD, AEM Intake, Grounding Kit, LSDunique test pipes, and UR Ultra SS pulley set. The turbo it self gives me 345 RWHP@.45 bar.
Old 08-19-2003, 08:51 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

You can't keep your AEM CAI w/ the turbo kit. Also, the greddy numbers are not final yet.

If you plan to boost beyond the specs of the manuf. then a lot of tuning will be involved, the numbers will vary based on a lot of factors. You can't just say "I'll buy this, this, and this and have 400rwhp." At least not yet, until at least a few pros get out there and experiment to a point where we can develop "Stage" system thats known to provide solid numbers.

As mentioned above, it seems you need to do some more research. Use the search function to read more about these mods and what they do, how they work together, cost, etc. and then plan your mods accordingly.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:15 AM
Sillent Killer

Whay can't I keep the AEM intake? Is this just for the AEM or all intakes?
Old 08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sillent Killer
Whay can't I keep the AEM intake? Is this just for the AEM or all intakes?
You are familiar with how turbo's work, correct? With a turbo you are placing an exhaust powered air pump in the middle of the intake tract in order to pressurize the incoming air and "force" it into the intake manifold and cylinders.

If you look at the AEM Intake (and all the others) you will see that they are just a straight pipe from either the area near the stock airbox or wheelwell to the intake manifold. Where would you put the turbo's in a setup like that? Furthermore, you would probably be running the air from the turbo into an intercooler (which means you would need to pipe the air to the front of the car) and then back to the inlet in the intake manifold. This would require special piping that would be part of the turbo install and would therefore replace the intake.

This is also why you don't want to be going to any headers yet. You will need special headers in order to route the exhaust gasses through the turbos to power them. There's no point in getting an aftermarket header if you just have to replace it anyway when you get a turbo.

Based on your questions, it seems like you might want to check out howstuffworks.com and just read around the forums a bit before setting your mod expectations. You seem to be throwing together parts at random and expecting them to work together (headers and CAI with turbo, Y-pipe with dual exhaust, dual exhaust with turbo, etc). I don't mean to be harsh, but it sounds like you have quite a bit of research to perform before embarking on these type of complicated mods (just so you know what you are getting yourself into). Check out the procharger threads to see examples of how the intake would need to be routed in order to use an intercooler. Also, check out skidazzle's thread about his custom turbo setup. These will give you an idea of why the AEM and other intakes can not be used for FI applications. Also, you'll see how much work is required to get these things to work and how many things can go wrong. You'll really want to be on the ball when you start getting all these parts installed in your car.

Finally, I would recommend looking at what you want to do with your car. Why do you want 400 HP? Is it because it is a nice round number? Do you want to be racing? If so you'll probably need some suspension upgrades and brake upgrades - especially with that type of HP. Maybe the 345 HP from the "standard" turbo kit would be find. Maybe the turbo kit will actually make more (or less) by the time it's released and you'll need to reasses your plans.

There's alot to think about with all this stuff.

Good Luck!

-D'oh!
Old 08-19-2003, 10:07 AM
little_rod

LOL, dude, sounds like you are trying to get all your problems solved in this one trend!!!!! Look around at the site using the search function, I PROMISE, it will help a whole lot and won't hurt any.

IF you do go with a turbo, you will probably lose your intake (doesn't matter what brand). Like I said earlier, if you plan on a turbo, all of your mods should fit with it accordingly.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:27 PM
Mikestro

HP numbers are way inflated. I have seen people post Dynos that had ALL the mods you described (minus the turbo) and had 240-250 RWHP. If there is a n/a dyno over 255rwhp, I haven't seen it yet.

I had a reality check the other day, I took out my stock air filter and blew through it, I could feel the air coming out the other side, try this with your stock filter in any other car, can't feel anything right? The stock filter is already high-flow. The stock intake is already ramming cold air from outside the engine compartment. The stock exhaust is already fairly low back-pressure (without sacrificing too much low end torque). N/A mods have not been yielding great gains, and definitely not across the whole power band. Say Borla gets you 10rwhp at X rpm. And lighter pullies give 5 HP at Y RPM. Well, guess what, your max HP does not =stock+10+5

IMO plenum, Borla and maybe the ECU are the only things worth doing if you really care about $ per HP.

Quick Reply: Question about a mod????