Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Question about a mod????

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 PM
Sillent Killer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have 2 questions...

I now know an aftermarket intake won't work, but does the stock air intake still work with the turbo or does that have to be taken out? And...Can I still put in an Intake Plenum?
Old 08-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Sillent Killer

Originally posted by D'oh
You are familiar with how turbo's work, correct? With a turbo you are placing an exhaust powered air pump in the middle of the intake tract in order to pressurize the incoming air and "force" it into the intake manifold and cylinders.

If you look at the AEM Intake (and all the others) you will see that they are just a straight pipe from either the area near the stock airbox or wheelwell to the intake manifold. Where would you put the turbo's in a setup like that? Furthermore, you would probably be running the air from the turbo into an intercooler (which means you would need to pipe the air to the front of the car) and then back to the inlet in the intake manifold. This would require special piping that would be part of the turbo install and would therefore replace the intake.

This is also why you don't want to be going to any headers yet. You will need special headers in order to route the exhaust gasses through the turbos to power them. There's no point in getting an aftermarket header if you just have to replace it anyway when you get a turbo.

Based on your questions, it seems like you might want to check out howstuffworks.com and just read around the forums a bit before setting your mod expectations. You seem to be throwing together parts at random and expecting them to work together (headers and CAI with turbo, Y-pipe with dual exhaust, dual exhaust with turbo, etc). I don't mean to be harsh, but it sounds like you have quite a bit of research to perform before embarking on these type of complicated mods (just so you know what you are getting yourself into). Check out the procharger threads to see examples of how the intake would need to be routed in order to use an intercooler. Also, check out skidazzle's thread about his custom turbo setup. These will give you an idea of why the AEM and other intakes can not be used for FI applications. Also, you'll see how much work is required to get these things to work and how many things can go wrong. You'll really want to be on the ball when you start getting all these parts installed in your car.

Finally, I would recommend looking at what you want to do with your car. Why do you want 400 HP? Is it because it is a nice round number? Do you want to be racing? If so you'll probably need some suspension upgrades and brake upgrades - especially with that type of HP. Maybe the 345 HP from the "standard" turbo kit would be find. Maybe the turbo kit will actually make more (or less) by the time it's released and you'll need to reasses your plans.

There's alot to think about with all this stuff.

Good Luck!

-D'oh!
I already have Tein Flex Coil-Overs w/ EDFC and EBC Green Stuff Brake Pads. I have no plans of adding a Big Brake Kit since they very expensive and I don't race right now. Maybe I'll go to the track when I get the turbo in. Right now I only Autocross.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Sillent Killer

People are saying you need a 3" exhaust for a turbo and that the other current exhausts won't perform good with the turbo. I was wondering if the GReddy EVO Dual Exhaust would work good with their turbo or not? GReddy's test car that has the turbo on it is using the GReddy EVo Exhaust. The Turbo and Exhaust are going to be released at the same time.

That's why I am wondering if this exhaust will be good with the Twin Turbo. If it is good, I'll buy the GReddy and sell my Borla. Thanks.