Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rev limiter increased from 6.6k to 8k

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:23 AM
lanceccs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rev limiter increased from 6.6k to 8k

My car is a "03 model and Rev limiter can only go 6600 maxed out. I've just replaced my Speedometer with a second hand speedometer belonging to a scrapped "04 350Z. Some how I can set my rev limiter to 8k now.

That said, I have not tried revving the car to 7-8k since the change cause I am not sure if it is safe to.

I heard some people after changing shorter FD, they refresh their ECU to set higher rev.

Can someone also explain what happened here, I am puzzled? Thanks in adv.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:25 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you sure oyur not talking about the shift light? and no revving the stock de that high would not be a very good idea.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 AM
t0mills

Originally Posted by lanceccs
My car is a "03 model and Rev limiter can only go 6600 maxed out. I've just replaced my Speedometer with a second hand speedometer belonging to a scrapped "04 350Z. Some how I can set my rev limiter to 8k now.

That said, I have not tried revving the car to 7-8k since the change cause I am not sure if it is safe to.

I heard some people after changing shorter FD, they refresh their ECU to set higher rev.

Can someone also explain what happened here, I am puzzled? Thanks in adv.
That's the shift light, not the rev limiter.

I don't know about in the UK, but every Z that i've been in has been able to set the shift light all the way up to 8k.

You're rev limiter is still the same as it was.

-Tim
Old 10-31-2008, 10:54 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You can flash or program the ECU and set the rev limiter.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:04 AM
lanceccs

Originally Posted by t0mills
That's the shift light, not the rev limiter.

I don't know about in the UK, but every Z that i've been in has been able to set the shift light all the way up to 8k.

You're rev limiter is still the same as it was.

-Tim
Thanks for the input.

I was assuming the Shift Light was tagged to the Rev limiter, is it not?

I am very sure my previous speedometer can only max the shift light setting at 6600.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You make peak power at 6200rpm's. No need to rev past stock redline, it will not make you faster.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:31 AM
lanceccs

Originally Posted by Alberto
You make peak power at 6200rpm's. No need to rev past stock redline, it will not make you faster.
I agree over revving past peak will not give more power, but there are times you would need to over revv.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:44 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input.

I was assuming the Shift Light was tagged to the Rev limiter, is it not?

I am very sure my previous speedometer can only max the shift light setting at 6600.
The shift light is programmed by the buttons that control the gauge on the center console. Hit the top button until you get to the rpm view. Then hit the bottom button to set the number where you want it. If you set it at 5000, for instance, the light starts flashing at 4500, then goes solid at 5000. The light has nothing to do with the rev limiter.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:59 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree over revving past peak will not give more power, but there are times you would need to over revv.
Like when you need your pistons and valves to collide?
Old 10-31-2008, 03:36 PM
OCG35
Banned

non rev-up DE rev limit is 6700... you can raise if needed but not recommended to go past 7200 (with stock internals)... the reason some ppl raise rev limit (including myself) is to make it through 1/4 in 3rd gear (for AT) 4th (for MT) when using shorter gears... also to give a little cushion when shifting at max rmp for power (you the revs will go a bit higher than your actual shift point so if you are shifting at peak hp rmp on not paying close attention its possible to hit rev limiter when its down at 6700).

If you get more aggressive cams, higher rev limit can be advantageous to take advantage of power in the higher rmp - but stock cams power typically dive bombs at 6500 (no matter what breather mods you have and no matter what your rev limit is)...

This is all based on my experience... others may have different opinions, but I would only pay attention to ones with experience (others experience may vary, but I doubt it).
Old 10-31-2008, 03:44 PM
lanceccs

Thanks for sharing. What is the bottleneck for the rev maxing at 7200 (not recommended)? What internals do I need to do to up the rev high w/o blowing the engine?

Originally Posted by OCG35
non rev-up DE rev limit is 6700... you can raise if needed but not recommended to go past 7200 (with stock internals)... the reason some ppl raise rev limit (including myself) is to make it through 1/4 in 3rd gear (for AT) 4th (for MT) when using shorter gears... also to give a little cushion when shifting at max rmp for power (you the revs will go a bit higher than your actual shift point so if you are shifting at peak hp rmp on not paying close attention its possible to hit rev limiter when its down at 6700).

If you get more aggressive cams, higher rev limit can be advantageous to take advantage of power in the higher rmp - but stock cams power typically dive bombs at 6500 (no matter what breather mods you have and no matter what your rev limit is)...

This is all based on my experience... others may have different opinions, but I would only pay attention to ones with experience (others experience may vary, but I doubt it).
Old 10-31-2008, 04:01 PM
diwun67

Thanks for sharing. What is the bottleneck for the rev maxing at 7200 (not recommended)? What internals do I need to do to up the rev high w/o blowing the engine?
Dude search. This forum has a wealth of technical knowledge on the VQ that is unmatched. Any question you have HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED many times.

In case you don't know it yet, your adjustable shift light setting has nothing to do with the 6700rpm fuel cut limiter set in the ecu. Set the shift light to 8k all you want, you're still gonna slam into the limiter @ 6700rpm.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:47 PM
OCG35
Banned

I said past 7200... you'll be fine at 7200 - going past that isn’t a good idea... I wouldn’t call it a "bottle neck" - but the "weak link" has shown to be rod bolts, oil pump and in some cases valve springs (float)... if you get shorter gears you'll be fine at 7200 - I would advise against staying near that rpm for longs periods though.

As posted above - there is a bunch of info... you might want to take some time reading through everything - most of your questions are probably answered out here... sometimes specific nuances aren’t though, so if you haven’t found specific info there are ppl out here that will try to help.

This is a good area for your type of questions: https://my350z.com/forum/na-builds-498/
Old 10-31-2008, 06:00 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by diwun67
Dude search. This forum has a wealth of technical knowledge on the VQ that is unmatched. Any question you have HAS ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED many times.

In case you don't know it yet, your adjustable shift light setting has nothing to do with the 6700rpm fuel cut limiter set in the ecu. Set the shift light to 8k all you want, you're still gonna slam into the limiter @ 6700rpm.
+1