Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Nismo CAMS review..... :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Alang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you live in long beach. Think there will be any problems with smog testing? Do the headers have a CARB number? If they don't they will definatly not pass visual.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Alang
I see you live in long beach. Think there will be any problems with smog testing? Do the headers have a CARB number? If they don't they will definatly not pass visual.
Don't think it will be an issue. By the time he needs his first smog in 4 to 5 years there should be number. Besides that, don't know if you would be able to tell anyway the way their buried in there.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM
350z4steve

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
Don't think it will be an issue. By the time he needs his first smog in 4 to 5 years there should be number. Besides that, don't know if you would be able to tell anyway the way their buried in there.
Not sure what you mean by that ...what in 4 - 5 yrs is that normal time for new cars to require a smog check?
Old 08-18-2003, 12:58 PM
apex locator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by little_rod
Cool, I know that for our engine, we would already have to look into rods and pistons to go real high in HP. I would think cams would also help in any high HP application. I think alot of people going that high in HP only think about making the engine stronger, whereas putting cams on it would be a power upgrade.

On the stock engine, most of these cam offerings get anywhere from 15 to 30 rwhp. With FI, that number would go up big time. Bet it would be easier to get the cams and turbo done at the same time to save a little on labor. Man, talking about expensive, lol.

from my understanding, n/a cams are generally not good for FI applications.

and i thinks its every 2 yrs that you'd have to smog your car in CA.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:09 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by b18bvudoo

and i thinks its every 2 yrs that you'd have to smog your car in CA.
It's every two years... but new cars are 3 years before your first smog so depending on your vin# it may be up to 4 years. I'm not sure if it passed yet, but new cars will move to 4/5 years on their first smog with in the next month. I own a late 98 C5 (bought in 99) that just got it's first smog early this year.

Last edited by Jeff@Performance; 08-18-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:25 PM
ZON

Hey thanks for those pics nissan guy. Those are some of the most interesting and best pics I've seen from this site, imo. Nice to see our engine uncovered because it's getting cool mods.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:54 PM
SchneiderZ

I need money.... one quick question... have you noticed a gas mileage increase/decrease with the addition of the cams and flywheel? I may be the only here who cares of such things, but I LOVE the fact that my CAI and grounding kit has added 6 mpg around the street.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by SchneiderZ
have you noticed a gas mileage increase/decrease with the addition of the cams and flywheel?
My guess would be gas mileage........and rear tire wear has gone bye bye!! Good question, I would like to know the same once the newness wears off and you can keep your foot out of it.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:04 PM
apex locator

i'm gonna keep an eye on the mpg in the next couple of weeks. so far nothing has caught my attention about a lower mpg.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:26 AM
myinfinitig20

any dynos?
Old 08-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Landbarger

Doesn't the Z come with CVTCS (the same as VTEC, VVT-i)? If so, are the new cams continuously variable as well? It may be a stupid question, my mechanical knowledge is extremely limited.
Old 08-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Redline350zTour

It's not a stupid question Landbarger. It seems to me that a lot (correct me if I'm wrong) of people on this site aren't as mechanically inclined as say "Chebosto" or Cheston of Technosquare fame. That is why we come here to learn. I guess I'm saying this cause I've seen a lot of post where people start out stating that their question might be a stupid one. None the less, I hope this thread does not die. I'd like to see dynos even though I've already seen a dyno stating that the Nismo cams are making 20RWHP at 6500 RPM's. I would like to see how Tomei Cams measure up to this. I can already tell that '04 will be the year of the Z as far as the avilability of mods is concerned
Old 08-27-2003, 06:38 PM
YimRS13

That was a very informative review. I'd be very interested in seeing some dyno figures with all of the nismo upgrades, especially each one compared to stock figures. Someone could come up with a database of real figures of what each upgrade will net to the wheels.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:49 PM
TJZ

Originally posted by little_rod
Hmmm, lots of questions asked already. But I have to wonder, what effect would cams have on FI, whether it is TC or SC??? Also, the installation time would be nice to know.
I heard that cams are either designed for FI or NA applications. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
Old 08-27-2003, 10:08 PM
nonmature

Originally posted by TJZ
I heard that cams are either designed for FI or NA applications. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.
ok not an expert at all but from what I think I know hehehe...

a lot of the FI vs. NA with cams has to do with the overlap... if you have too much overlap with FI your pressurizing air thats just bein let right out of the cylinder thus not makin you the power you want

-non
Old 08-28-2003, 07:56 AM
ChurchAutoTest

Depends on the type of forced induction. A supercharged car has different needs than a turbo car. On turbo cars with variable valve timing, you often need to have lots of overlap while the turbo spools and then dial back the overlap once your under full boost (this is how Nissan did it with the VVT SR20DET). By combining new cams with the ability to adjust the VVT on the 350Z you could get some very nice results.

SC
Old 08-28-2003, 09:44 AM
LBC TRD

b18- im in long beach too, take me for a ride in your car!

ive got a single exit hks ti w/ y-pipe you can check out too..
Old 08-28-2003, 01:30 PM
apex locator

whats up LBC,

unfortunately i'm out of town for work during weekdays. i'll try to make the weekend car meets if i'm not too tired or busy with the gf. i am planning on returning to the buttonwillow driving clinic on dec. 20th w/ my buddy. lets see some more z's there by then i should have my s-tunes/sways and lmgt4's

about the mpg, no drop that i've noticed there is a slight increase in mpg, but i think its because of highway miles.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:37 PM
jckolnturn

Any updates on your mods? Have you felt the ECU dial anything back? Dyno's or anything?
Old 09-13-2003, 07:00 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by b18bvudoo
install time is ~13 hrs i believe, but i left my car at Vincent's for a week to give bryan enough time for everything.
Is the install time of 13 hours just for the cam or is it for the flywheel, cam, air intake, and headers combined? If you do not know the hours it took If you do not mind, could you tell us the labor cost to install this stuff?

BTW, any Dyno results yet?

Thanks, Jeff

Quick Reply: Nismo CAMS review..... :)