Fluid Change Rookie?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 07:11 AM
FRIT-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Change Rookie?s

Next weekend I am going to change the following fluids...need some advice

Touring Model 6mt

Motor Oil - I plan on using Mobil1 10w30 (5 quarts), I have the ramps and the procedure...which filter should I use? Should I change out my drainplug or just the washer? Where do I get a drain plug washer? Anything else?

Trans Fluid - I plan on using a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MT90.
Where is the drain/fill and what else will I need? How do I know the exact ammount to add...there is no dip stick, right? Should I flush or just drain and re-fill? Should I ramp the front end or rear?
Anything else?

Diff Fluid - I plan on using Redline 75w90. Where is the drain/fill and what else will I need? How do I know the exact ammount to add? Should I flush or just drain and re-fill? Should I ramp the front end or rear?
Anything else?

I know these are pretty basic mechanical jobs, I am mechanically inclined but haven't worked on a car since my 1970 Monte Carlo SS454...a long time ago.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

FRIT-z
Old 08-27-2003, 11:28 AM
peptidbond

Frit-z,

I am not going to comment on the process for changing the tranny and diff fluids since I have done neither, but I do have one suggestion. Get under the car. Really, lay down under the car and look at it. I am not saying this because you have asked some "noob" questions. I am suggesting this because it is a great way to get a feel for the car before doing any actual work. Look around and see what you can see. You may be surprised how quickly you learn the car without doing much work.

As for the oil change, I use Mobile 1 with a Purolator "PureOne" filter. It is a higher quality filter that has general availability. I have heard no reason to use another. As for the drain plug, keep the stock one. If you want a new washer, you can buy them from www.courtesyparts.com. They are cheap. I ordered some myself. I do not change them every time. Only every couple times. To date, the stock one has lasted just fine under a variety of driving conditions with not leaks or other issues. So, I plan to change them about every third or fourth time. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:57 PM
maximumsportZ

Default Re: Fluid Change Rookie?s

Originally posted by FRIT-Z
Next weekend I am going to change the following fluids...need some advice

Touring Model 6mt

Motor Oil - I plan on using Mobil1 10w30 (5 quarts), I have the ramps and the procedure...which filter should I use? Should I change out my drainplug or just the washer? Where do I get a drain plug washer? Anything else?

Trans Fluid - I plan on using a 50/50 mix of Redline MTL and MT90.
Where is the drain/fill and what else will I need? How do I know the exact ammount to add...there is no dip stick, right? Should I flush or just drain and re-fill? Should I ramp the front end or rear?
Anything else?

Diff Fluid - I plan on using Redline 75w90. Where is the drain/fill and what else will I need? How do I know the exact ammount to add? Should I flush or just drain and re-fill? Should I ramp the front end or rear?
Anything else?

I know these are pretty basic mechanical jobs, I am mechanically inclined but haven't worked on a car since my 1970 Monte Carlo SS454...a long time ago.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

FRIT-z