Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

AC OUT/ Compressor Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:54 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down AC OUT/ Compressor Clutch Problem

Took my car into the shop for poor AC...

Dealer said my AC compressor clutch blew off and was laying inside my engine bay... and I need new compressor...

He was suprised the clutch didnt rip a hole in my radiator...

Asked who the *&^* modded my Z, I was like hmmmmmmmm... DIY... and I didnt mess with the AC either (only cause he has a Z himself and there aren't many if any modded in central texas)...

But I have a new AC compressor with a free AC charge... still not sure how the clutch for the AC blew off, honest I didn't touch it...
Old 08-28-2003, 12:39 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine makes al sorts of noise, of which the dealer said "They all do that" I will just take it back when it is broke. That is the same thing that happened with my power steering pump. I have already had it replaced. I drove with it till it broke!

So far I have had 3 "They all do that" answers and 2 have been fixed due to breaking. The A/C is next, I can feel it!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

Preorder Z's will have problems... its a first run and we are the guniea's... but I love it when the dealer/service techs think we know nothing about modding... or when we feel somthing in our car that doesn't seem right and they all do that comes up....

Just like the tire feathering issue... i could feel the vibes after a while and I knew more about the issue than the dealer, Yeah sure, "They all do that"(make road noise).

What does the dealer say when he sees you Crawford mods?

I want to come up with a smart a$$ comment for everytime the dealer wants to incline a problem based on my mods... like,

"What did my mods due this time"?

gimme a break its the AC not the MAF sensor...

If they can figure out how the AC compressor clutch blew... I'll let you know so you can break yours...

And you can ask, do they all do that?
Old 08-28-2003, 01:14 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug’s work is respected at the dealership. He had everyone calling from the dealership asking about the plenum for more details. This was back a few months when we were the only ones to have one. There was not even a question about whether or not the plenum, strut bar, or injen upper tube caused any problems. The were excited to see a modified car, especially one that works.

The first time I took it in was for a BCM replacement (pre-TSB), they tried to give me the runaround about my grounding cables . . .I schooled them after they said the engine was sufficiently grounded from the factory. I pulled out my printouts of the stock grounding locations and showed them the stock wires. Then I pointed out the placement of all the kit bolt locations and ask again what their problem is.
Old 09-02-2003, 06:26 AM
Rxramon
Charter Member #45

I have a brand spanking new AC Compressor fully charged... for free... wow it feels nice...

My service manager owns a Z and compared the old unit to his also, he thought the AC clutch went loose becuase it didn't have the old intake to rest against or support it...

Not sure if this is true but I wonder how many that have CAI's are getting excess AC noise or poor AC performance...