Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Problem solved with SEL

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:37 PM
NewOrleans350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem solved with SEL

I posted my problem last week, and had it serviced at the dealership. I am just making this post as reference for anyonoe having this problem in the future. Here is my original post:

First, it revs high at idle when first started up (around 1700-2000). I did a search and found that many people have had this problem, especially in winter, and usually after a few minutes it goes back to idling at 0. But my car never returns to 0. Today, I was driving for about 10 minutes, and when I stopped at a light, it just idled at around 1250 for a good 90 seconds. I tried pressing the clutch all the way, and leaving the clutch fully depressed, and still the same result. Is this normal? Shouldn't it be idling close to 0?

Second, when shifting gears, the rpms do not lower. Its hard to explain but I will try:

Let's say I am driving along in 4th gear at around 2 RPM; when I release the gas and press the clutch in, the RPMs jump up to about 2500 sometimes higher, but I did nothing to the gas. So basically, I have no foot on the gas and the clutch is fully pressed, and the RPMs blip up a bit, instead of lowering. It revs even higher when going from 5th gear to 6th gear.

Any idea of these are related? What they could mean?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week I had the error codes scanned and it showed three:

P0171 - System too lean (bank 1)
P0300 - Random misfire
The third was something in the five hundreds, don't remember exactly what it was, but it dealt with the throttle position being higher/lower than expected.

Dealership said there was a vacuum leak in the plenum plug.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Get_Zwole

more then likely when your shifting you are accidentally keeping your foot on the gas too long. When you do that the clutch engages and you are still giving it a bit of gas causing the rpms to rise a bit. Try and over exaggerate taking your foot off the gas then clutch in shift etc. If that doesnt help then im wrong and you should go to the dealer and ask them about it.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:55 PM
freedonutss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Get_Zwole
more then likely when your shifting you are accidentally keeping your foot on the gas too long. When you do that the clutch engages and you are still giving it a bit of gas causing the rpms to rise a bit. Try and over exaggerate taking your foot off the gas then clutch in shift etc. If that doesnt help then im wrong and you should go to the dealer and ask them about it.
+1 Sometimes when I am shifting I keep my foot on the gas too long and it blips up just a tad bit but it goes back down. Im pretty sure this is normal. Ask the dealer if they will do a throttle position reset. That may help your issue with your 3rd SEL code you described
Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM
NewOrleans350z

Well, as I stated earlier, I took it to the dealership and the problem was fixed.

And no, I wasnt leaving my foot on the gas too long. I would have realized that if that was the case.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:11 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what was the fix then? Or is it a secret?

They told you to let up off the gas, didn't they? Lol~
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
NewOrleans350z

Haha no. I'd like to think I am a good enough driver toknow whether or not I was pressing the gas pedal or not!

I stated it in the original post:

"Dealership said there was a vacuum leak in the plenum plug."

ETA: Vacuum leak in the plenum, and a plug was missing.