Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

stalling problem at start..

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 AM
ChopstiX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stalling problem at start..

we have a stalling problem that i cant figure out.. it is a 2003 automatic...60% of the time when you start the car and the rpms drop down it acts like it wants to stall and then dies... then sometimes it will start and almost want to stall and regain itself..

i noticed this after we got in a rear end accident.. maybe there is a leak in the exhaust and losing pressure??

here recently the car overheated and i unplugged the battery for a day or so and its even worse now..

any ideas.....???
Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
MichaelofHearts
Banned

honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin and I'm probably not the only one...Take it somewhere imo.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 AM
whoojong

If you're cars overheating, then that's a bigger problem than not holding idle. Possible lead or bad water pump. The idle could be any thing from bad fuel pump to intake manifold leak. either take it somewhere or start knocking out the possibilities one by one.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChopstiX
we have a stalling problem that i cant figure out.. it is a 2003 automatic...60% of the time when you start the car and the rpms drop down it acts like it wants to stall and then dies... then sometimes it will start and almost want to stall and regain itself..

i noticed this after we got in a rear end accident.. maybe there is a leak in the exhaust and losing pressure??

here recently the car overheated and i unplugged the battery for a day or so and its even worse now..

any ideas.....???
If your car overheated and it caused your head gasket to blow, your car will run like crap.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
350z-Jim

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unplugging the battery has been known to reset the ecu and cause stalling problems for a while until the comptuer re-learns and gets up to speed. In some cases it took 300-400miles before it was back to running like normal. Other guys have had the battery out and never had any problems, not sure exactly what it is that does it.

One case was the throttle body out of alignment (or something like that). Give this a shot:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-tb-reset.html

If the car over heated really badly then you may have blown a head gasket in which case nothing short of a head gasket replacement will fix your problem. Keep an eye on your oil and or coolant for mixing between the two. Also tell tale signs are milky looking crap in the oil fill cap or on the dip stick.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:24 PM
ChopstiX

Originally Posted by 350z-Jim
Unplugging the battery has been known to reset the ecu and cause stalling problems for a while until the comptuer re-learns and gets up to speed. In some cases it took 300-400miles before it was back to running like normal. Other guys have had the battery out and never had any problems, not sure exactly what it is that does it.

One case was the throttle body out of alignment (or something like that). Give this a shot:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...-tb-reset.html

If the car over heated really badly then you may have blown a head gasket in which case nothing short of a head gasket replacement will fix your problem. Keep an eye on your oil and or coolant for mixing between the two. Also tell tale signs are milky looking crap in the oil fill cap or on the dip stick.

thanks dude.. the car seems to run just fine besides that start up problem once in a while.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:39 AM
jasabeast

Check your intake if its getting to much air or not enough its gonna feel like its about to stall.. Doubt thats ur case but it happened to me before