Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

need help making a choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 PM
zcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help making a choice

i am gonna spend around $1000 on my z this week. i try to make the car as fast as possible at the track. out of these mods what mod or mods would you pick?
apexi n1 exhaust
cobb tuning access port
ur pulleys
utec
skunk 2 exhaust
unichip
technosquare reflash
irridium spark plugs
strup, dc sport, or jvt headers
weapon r torque damper
pop charger
i currently have injen cai, titek test pipes, b&m short shifter, and i have md aramid gasket and ccv which im waiting to install when my kinetix v+ plenum gets here by friday
Old 03-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

I'd say go with the reflash. You already have an intake, plenum, and test pipes. Those really are the only 3 modifications that you could get for under $1000 that are worth the money. I'd say get the reflash or save your money and go F/I in the future.

You could get an exhaust, however I'm not sure if this will result in any decent power gains.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by Goin' Sidewayz!
I'd say go with the reflash. You already have an intake, plenum, and test pipes. Those really are the only 3 modifications that you could get for under $1000 that are worth the money. I'd say get the reflash or save your money and go F/I in the future.
thanks! with the reflash i could get another mod. should i get a cheap exhaust with it or maybe pulleys or something else? when u say reflash do u mean the technosquare or one of the other ecu upgrades like the cobb tuning accessport which is an ecu reflash device?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
dyss

i agree with sidewayz get the tech reflash
Old 03-28-2009, 09:25 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by dyss
i agree with sidewayz get the tech reflash
ok thank u for the responses. does that reflash give noticeable gain? ive ran a 13.8 with just my intake, tp, and short shifter.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

Originally Posted by zcoupe
thanks! with the reflash i could get another mod. should i get a cheap exhaust with it or maybe pulleys or something else? when u say reflash do u mean the technosquare or one of the other ecu upgrades like the cobb tuning accessport which is an ecu reflash device?
In regards to the exhaust, I personally would never buy a low quality exhaust.

I don't know much about engine management other than given your price range a reflash will result in the best gains. Just research the different ECUs that are in your price range and go from there. I have no experience with any aftermarket engine management types so I cannot testify as to which ECU you should go with.

Just give this thread a day or two for people to view and I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will be better able to answer your questions.

Good luck! Hope it all works out.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:33 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by Goin' Sidewayz!
In regards to the exhaust, I personally would never buy a low quality exhaust.

I don't know much about engine management other than given your price range a reflash will result in the best gains. Just research the different ECUs that are in your price range and go from there. I have no experience with any aftermarket engine management types so I cannot testify as to which ECU you should go with.

Just give this thread a day or two for people to view and I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will be better able to answer your questions.

Good luck! Hope it all works out.
thank you for your help. this is a site i found with the reflash. do you think its legit? http://www.importpartspro.com/telreni35g35.html
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Goin' Sidewayz!

thank you for your help. this is a site i found with the reflash. do you think its legit? http://www.importpartspro.com/telreni35g35.html
I'm sure the website is legit. However I have no idea as to whether or not this engine management is good or bad so I cannot comment on it.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:42 PM
importdemon5

I would say get a clutch an flywheel. You can get them for under a grand..

If you are going with a ecu flash, technosquare is good but you might also want to check out AAM (Altered Atmosphere) out of Maryland. I had them flash my car and it get's up and goes.

I tracked my car when I first got it and ran a 13.9 with intake, axel back exhaust, high flow cats and a plenum spacer. I haven't ran it with the flash yet cause I'm waitin for it to get warmer hear in delaware but I should be in the mid 13, also didn't realy know how to drive a rear wheel drive car or how to launch it, it was a week after I bough my z.

But yeah, flash or clutch/flywheel.. You will gain a lot from a better clutch and flywheel
Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 PM
vthao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tranny gearing?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:28 AM
NyCSnEaK

Originally Posted by vthao
tranny gearing?
Especially the 4.08 final drive.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:38 AM
_STEVEO_01

A high quality exhaust should be at the top of your list but the reflash as stated before is probobly your best bet... Remember though, "Cheap" and "Quality" don't mix well in the longrun if your trying to squeeze something in the VQ for a buck or two.

Also, I can vouch for ImportPartsPro. Kyle and his guys down there provide some of the best customer service I have seen yet and carry an array of great products for the Z. Nothing to worry about if you send your business their way.

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 03-29-2009 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:47 AM
Z04

i am gonna spend around $1000 on my z this week. i try to make the car as fast as possible at the track. out of these mods what mod or mods would you pick?
apexi n1 exhaust
cobb tuning access port
ur pulleys
utec
skunk 2 exhaust
unichip
technosquare reflash
irridium spark plugs
strup, dc sport, or jvt headers
weapon r torque damper
pop charger
i currently have injen cai, titek test pipes, b&m short shifter, and i have md aramid gasket and ccv which im waiting to install when my kinetix v+ plenum gets here by friday
here you go. nothing on that list will give you what you are looking for. want a faster lap time? spruce up your suspension components and learn to drive the lines better. that is how you get faster on a track.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 AM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by importdemon5
I would say get a clutch an flywheel. You can get them for under a grand..

If you are going with a ecu flash, technosquare is good but you might also want to check out AAM (Altered Atmosphere) out of Maryland. I had them flash my car and it get's up and goes.

I tracked my car when I first got it and ran a 13.9 with intake, axel back exhaust, high flow cats and a plenum spacer. I haven't ran it with the flash yet cause I'm waitin for it to get warmer hear in delaware but I should be in the mid 13, also didn't realy know how to drive a rear wheel drive car or how to launch it, it was a week after I bough my z.

But yeah, flash or clutch/flywheel.. You will gain a lot from a better clutch and flywheel
i would like to get a clutch and flywheel but the problem is that i would guess that is gonna cost alot to get put in. how much does that cost to install?

I also agree final drive gears would be awesome to get also but know that that must cost alot to get put in also. anyone know how much these things cost to get installed? how much would the 4.08 gears help my 1/4 mile time?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by Z04
here you go. nothing on that list will give you what you are looking for. want a faster lap time? spruce up your suspension components and learn to drive the lines better. that is how you get faster on a track.
im talking about a 1/4 mile drag race not a road course but good advice if i was talking about that kind of track
Old 03-29-2009, 03:00 PM
350Z400rwhp

i would like to get a clutch and flywheel but the problem is that i would guess that is gonna cost alot to get put in. how much does that cost to install?

I also agree final drive gears would be awesome to get also but know that that must cost alot to get put in also. anyone know how much these things cost to get installed? how much would the 4.08 gears help my 1/4 mile time?
Adding the 4.08 gear is = to a 10% horsepower gain, so about 3/10s off your quarter mile time. This is your best bang for the buck mod you can do to your car, just make sure you never go turbo. Might be able to get away with this gear if you went supercharged someday.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

im talking about a 1/4 mile drag race not a road course but good advice if i was talking about that kind of track
Just use your $1000 for roadcourse events, so much more fun.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
zcoupe

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Adding the 4.08 gear is = to a 10% horsepower gain, so about 3/10s off your quarter mile time. This is your best bang for the buck mod you can do to your car, just make sure you never go turbo. Might be able to get away with this gear if you went supercharged someday.
does anyone know how much it cost to get the gears installed? also i drive the car on the highway alot. does the gears make my rpms stay high at like 80mph or is the 6th gear stay the same?
Old 03-30-2009, 03:35 AM
Z04

still not going to do anything noticable with that list of mods. sorry
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM
_STEVEO_01

I agree with Z04. It sounds like time is of essence and your looking for a "quick" fix for the track. What about Nitrous? It is probobly going to yield you better results than what you have listed for the small amount of funds you have available to spend...

Last edited by _STEVEO_01; 03-30-2009 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply: need help making a choice