Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

base differential--» VLSD need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:22 PM
cedoulinou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default base differential--» VLSD need help

hi guys,

I would like to know how much time does it take to switch the open differential pumpkin to a VLSD pumpkin on my 05 base Z??? Also, I need your help to know what are the steps and do I need to adjust the differential at the end or I just have to bolt it there???

thanks

if there is a thread about this subject just say to me where I can find it...
Old 05-05-2009, 02:40 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have to ask how much time it will take, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
NissanTech350

]it took me about an hour or so..make sure you have the right vlsd if its a manual get a vlsd from a manual and same with auto (there is a difference)
you will need the output shafts from that vlsd also... as long as you use the same shims (remember which side is which) it should line up fine
i have a 06 base with lsd now
Old 05-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Escobar

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I did a pumpkin swap with a buddy and it was pretty straight forward but it does take some time. You have to un-bolt the drive shaft and both stub axles. The pumpkin weighs about 60 lbs so its tough...
Old 05-06-2009, 05:02 AM
NissanTech350

Originally Posted by Escobar
I did a pumpkin swap with a buddy and it was pretty straight forward but it does take some time. You have to un-bolt the drive shaft and both stub axles. The pumpkin weighs about 60 lbs so its tough...
yea it does have weight to it..hope you enjoy the lsd i know i couldnt keep my foot out of the throttle
Old 05-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Citrus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NissanTech350
]it took me about an hour or so..make sure you have the right vlsd if its a manual get a vlsd from a manual and same with auto (there is a difference)
you will need the output shafts from that vlsd also... as long as you use the same shims (remember which side is which) it should line up fine
i have a 06 base with lsd now
As long as you're swapping pumpkins and not internals, you do not need to worry about shims. Make sure your pumpkin comes with the axles as they are different between a base open diff and the VLSD. There are 3 bolts holding the pumpkin to the subframe (17mm i think), 6 bolts per stub axle (14mm i think, you'll need a wrench and socket), 2 sensors, and a breather hose you will need to disconnect in order to swap pumpkins.

As others have said, the challenge is physically dropping the old one out and getting the new one in without injuring yourself. The easiest way to do it is to have a friend working a jack underneath the pumpkin, while you steady it into and out of the subframe.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Citrus

Also, check the DIY sections for various diff installs. Good info there.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:43 PM
cedoulinou

the base Z axles aren't correct to do that swap??? I need to have VLSD axles???
Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
bdavids1

Stub axle, not axle. Check out https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...e-install.html. While you won't be opening the pumpkin for your swap, it's easy to see the stub axles in the pics in that thread. What you get should look like what's in the 5th picture. A bit further down you can see where he's removing the stub axles -- you won't remove yours!
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM
bbs350z

its easy, any vlsd you buy should be complete w/ stub axles. its a direct swap, and is very easy. grab a buddy cuz the pumpkin is a pita to do yourself
Old 05-07-2009, 03:36 AM
NissanTech350

Originally Posted by Citrus
As long as you're swapping pumpkins and not internals, you do not need to worry about shims. Make sure your pumpkin comes with the axles as they are different between a base open diff and the VLSD. There are 3 bolts holding the pumpkin to the subframe (17mm i think), 6 bolts per stub axle (14mm i think, you'll need a wrench and socket), 2 sensors, and a breather hose you will need to disconnect in order to swap pumpkins.

As others have said, the challenge is physically dropping the old one out and getting the new one in without injuring yourself. The easiest way to do it is to have a friend working a jack underneath the pumpkin, while you steady it into and out of the subframe.
oops sorry. i didnt see that it said pumpkins. i swapped the internal diff.. i didnt know it was the whole assembly..that cuts time to within 25 mins. i took the internal out and i had to change my output shafts for the vlsd. but hey if someone wanted to go my way theres some information