Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP! Changed Oil. Now Temperature Hand is Jumping Up and Down

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Newfoundbiker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Changed Oil. Now Temperature Hand is Jumping Up and Down

Ok so I own a 2003 350z american car, with 42000miles on the car and engine, I had a oil change done 3 days ago, and when i pulled out I gave it a good shot of gas when I left the garage, I let the car idle for about 10mins prior to the new oil change, anyways now tonight I was driving the car, and the temperature hand is jumping up and down slowly up to the first high mark on the gauge, and fan is like it's working overtime all the time. I wondering what is wrong is this serious? I'm really thinking I blew the head gasket, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's something simple. Can someone help me or lead me in the right direction here please!

Thanks guys.
Brian
Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 PM
03aeroZ

Did you check your oil? Is there anti-freeze in it? Is the car smoking? Nothing sounds wrong with what you did so far...so more details will be needed.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:56 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

get someone that knows what they are doing to come over before something major does happen..
Old 05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
03aeroZ

Pour some NOS in it...I heard that clears up rough idle.....LOL (sorry...still trying to read through all those gixxer forum pages)

*DO NOT do the above...it is a joke. I would have a dealership look at your car though.*
Old 05-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Fletch69z

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
get someone that knows what they are doing to come over before something major does happen..
+1, please get someone local that can check out the car to see what is going on. And second, learn to change your own oil so you can stop trusting your car's life to other idiots.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:36 PM
blastoff99

Take a deep breath. Safely park the car on a flat and level surface. Make sure the parking brake is set. Turn off the ignition. Pull the hood release lever. Unbuckle your seat belt. Open the door. Get out of the car.

Take another deep breath. Open the hood. Use that stick thing to prop the hood up. Wait ten minutes. Check your oil level. Check your coolant level.

Take another deep breath. Post the results of your oil and coolant level checks. Also please clarify that everything was ok after the oil change, but went bad tonight, or three days after the oil change. It is not immediately apparent to me that the oil change had anything to do with this.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Newfoundbiker

The car seems to be idling fine, and no known smoke coming from it, no power loss at all, just temp hand is acting up, so does anyone think it could be a head gasket... The closest Nissan dealership to me is over 2hours away so I'm trying to see if there is anythign I can do here before I end up shipping the car out there.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Newfoundbiker

Old 05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
nawgee

i dont know, maybe its just me, but I dont think burning out is going to solve the problem.

I would find a friend that knows a thing or two about cars to go out there and check it. OR you could call nissan service and explain the problem over the phone and they could give you better advice
Old 05-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Slacker286

I had a 2003 with equivalent miles that this happened to, or at least the problem was very similar. My temperature gauge would slowly make it to the H, then eventually go back down. However it was really random, some drives it would do it and other drives it wouldn't.

Anyways I took it to a mechanic and it turned out my thermostat was malfunctioning. If you have the same issue it was like a $240 fix (new one).

Never had the problem occur again.

Last edited by Slacker286; 05-20-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Newfoundbiker

lol I know, these pics were taken last year, just wanted to show people the car that's all and too see if the pics would work
Old 05-20-2009, 09:34 PM
1SleeperZ

Its an 03' right, what do you expect...go to your local parts store and get a new thermostat. nuff said.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
nawgee

Originally Posted by Newfoundbiker
lol I know, these pics were taken last year, just wanted to show people the car that's all and too see if the pics would work
and it is indeed a nice car
Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 PM
davidmcc

Your car is clearly just pissed that you put that grill on it and this is it's way of telling you it feels stupid.

...In all seriousness though, it could be any number of things (ie: thermostat, as someone already mentioned, temp gauge sending unit, ect...) Just have it checked out locally by somebody you can trust.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 PM
1SleeperZ

when i pulled out I gave it a good shot of gas
When i pulled out i gave her a good shot of something else....i must admit its not as potent as gasoline though
Old 05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Newfoundbiker

lol! You guys are funny....... ok as for the grill yes I will admit it's gay, it came on the car when I bought it last year, so tell me what to put on it instead, as for thermostat I wonder if that is the cause? You guys really don't think it's a head gasket?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
SageZ

When I read your post, first thing that came to mind is the thermostat. Pretty easy to replace yourself. Car could probably use it anyway. Nice Z btw

Last edited by SageZ; 05-20-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 PM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Edited title to reflect thread content and moved to correct section.

OP, please take note that you must title your threads properly. I usually close mistitled threads, but I'll cut you some slack since your new.

My350z Staff,

VO
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 PM
1SleeperZ

You guys really don't think it's a head gasket?
Dude its not rocket science...if your head gasket was blown than water would be shooting out of those 2 pipes that exit exhaust out the back of your car.....ya know kind of like when we drink way too much beer for 3 days in a row with no food...uhhhh, yeah thats it....the squirts...its kind of like $hittin water out your a$$. Sweet thread dudes, i just came up with a new saying, something like this. I can see it now, :::calling up a friend::: ::: picking up, "hello"::: Dude your not gonna believe it, i went down to Florida for a few days on a drinking fest, as soon as i got back to Texas i blew a head gasket...LMAO

Last edited by 1SleeperZ; 05-20-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:26 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blastoff99
Take a deep breath. Safely park the car on a flat and level surface. Make sure the parking brake is set. Turn off the ignition. Pull the hood release lever. Unbuckle your seat belt. Open the door. Get out of the car.

Take another deep breath. Open the hood. Use that stick thing to prop the hood up. Wait ten minutes. Check your oil level. Check your coolant level.

Take another deep breath. Post the results of your oil and coolant level checks. Also please clarify that everything was ok after the oil change, but went bad tonight, or three days after the oil change. It is not immediately apparent to me that the oil change had anything to do with this.
That's a lot of deep breaths. Looking forward to excessive carbon dioxide and hyperventilation.

Quick Reply: HELP! Changed Oil. Now Temperature Hand is Jumping Up and Down