Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Iridium Spark Plugs... Good Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 08:47 AM
webcarconnection

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Iridium Spark Plugs... Good Mod.

I install the Denso Iridium SP and the car gain a few ponies on the top end... the theory on this is that our car have a rich condition on top rpm's so you need a little more spark to clean up the xtra fuel... I race w my brother and we clearly see a difference (something I never spec it from just changing Spark Plugs) So a gave A++ to the Denso SP.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:51 AM
TheBigShow

u just have n/a mods, i assume? sounds cool; i'm sure it wasn't too expensive either.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
webcarconnection

Yes my Z is N/A... the Denso are $12 each!
Old 10-01-2003, 08:54 AM
kgb

Default Re: Iridium Spark Plugs... Good Mod.

Originally posted by webcarconnection
I install the Denso Iridium SP and the car gain a few ponies on the top end... the theory on this is that our car have a rich condition on top rpm's so you need a little more spark to clean up the xtra fuel... I race w my brother and we clearly see a difference (something I never spec it from just changing Spark Plugs) So a gave A++ to the Denso SP.
No! This can't be. Changing the sparkplugs can't possibly improve the Z's performance.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 AM
carlosG

belive it I also installed the Iridium plugs one degree cooler and I noticed that the car responded a litel better as HP gains I dont know. but a littel here a littel there at the end would add up.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:24 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

webcarconnection, were these plugs colder?

Also, where did you get it?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 10-01-2003, 09:25 AM
jesseenglish

superchargersonline.com has them
Old 10-01-2003, 09:28 AM
MY350Z.COM

thanks jesse
Old 10-01-2003, 10:12 AM
cbsuper

I just got these plugs installed yesterday along with my HKS Twin Power and let me tell you the car revs smoother and top end performance has improved.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:36 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Carefull with those conclusion and all that jumping

(note: this is not a flame, just an opinion)

Be carefull with jumping to conclusions.

If you replace old/used plugs with brand new plugs of COURSE there will be an improvement. Old & dirty to new/shiny/properly gapped will always improve things.

IMO The question is this: Would new Iridium plugs actually improve MEASURABLE power when compared against BRAND NEW stock plugs.

I sort of doubt it. I thought the primary advantage to Platinum/Iridium was that they resist fouling and stay "new" longer. As far as plugs go...either the cylinder ignites or it doesn't If your engine was missfiring more than once and a while the OBD II would catch it. If it wasn't, there isn't much to be gained with a spark upgrade.

This is the type of logic that keeps splitfire in business.

I am not SURE they don't help, but if someone was taking bets I would have to bet against it. Sorry.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:43 AM
LaoSiFu

I use to had Denso Iridium on my Honda. I gain performance and gas mileage. Have you notice any gas mileage improvement webcarconnection ?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:07 AM
cbsuper

Default Re: Carefull with those conclusion and all that jumping

Originally posted by AndyB
(note: this is not a flame, just an opinion)
IMO The question is this: Would new Iridium plugs actually improve MEASURABLE power when compared against BRAND NEW stock plugs.
The only way you will be able to know that for sure is to take a set of stock plugs and a set of Iridium plugs and dyno each one on the same car. If you want to do that and prove it for us, we'll always welcome the info.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:23 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: Carefull with those conclusion and all that jumping

Originally posted by cbsuper
The only way you will be able to know that for sure is to take a set of stock plugs and a set of Iridium plugs and dyno each one on the same car. If you want to do that and prove it for us, we'll always welcome the info.

I don't even have my Z yet. Besides, I am not the one claiming more power.

I am just basing this on my experience with a bunch of other vehicles over the years. It seems SOME brand sparkplug is always claiming more power and mileage. People buy it, replace a dirty old plug with a new shiny plug and become a believer.

I have yet to see a trick plug that makes a power difference on a real dyno when compared to good quality normal plugs. I was just offering my opinion based on my experience. I could be wrong. (I have however seen many trick plugs produce startling results on the BUTT dyno.)

It is true that some plugs resist fouling better (platinum) and that alone is definetely worth some money since once a plug gets dirty it will missfire more often.

My internet car history comes from the f-body forums, some mortorcycle forums, and some Dodge truck forums. For every product there are people who "felt" the extra power. That is true for pour-in gas boosters, gas line magnets, tornado intake inserts, even exhaust pipe turbines from JC Whitney. I have NEVER seen a product mentioned on ANY board ANYWHERE that did not have some people swearing they felt a difference.

(Think about it, is there any product mentioned on THIS board where several people spent money and nobody said they felt more power?)

That is true even when the product has been proven to reduce power (like the tornado does in a Durango). Several people on the Durango board posted messages swearing they got better mileage (that they measured) and more power. When someone finally dynoed the thing it was LOWERING the horsepower.

Never under estimate the power of the placebo effect. It is the reason medicine needs to be tested DOUBLE blind. Even if the patient is clueless the person giving the test can influence the results. (The doctors here can confirm that!)

I am NOT saying that Iridium plugs are BS. I am just saying that I am skeptical. <<not a flame>>
Old 10-01-2003, 05:06 PM
webcarconnection

Hey Andy...
1st I'm not a newbie of the sports cars... for 13 years I have been dealing w Domestic, Japans and Germans. I know that your a little negative about this but you said your self you dont even have your Z yet... I have been learning about the Z for a year now and let me tell you this car have some different things than other Japan Sports Cars... other thing is that my stock SP (Platinum) wasn't dirty, they were almoust like new. I learn that the Z have very high volumen of fuel on top rpms (6000+) but when I took out the SP a couple of them was a little darker than the others, that is because our plenum deliver less air on the front pistons... this iridium SP always burn the same, that give more avg. of combustion in the cilinder.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:07 PM
MY350Z.COM

webcarconnection, are these plugs colder?

Also, where did you get it?

Thanks,
Victor
Old 10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey GUys

You can also get them at clubplug.net.

Ordered my NGK Iridium ones. 1 degree cooler for my baby G.

Gurgen
Old 10-01-2003, 05:46 PM
webcarconnection

Sorry Victor... they are IKH16 is for N/A aplication for FI or NOS is IKH20 more cold!!!

I buy them here http://www.clubplug.net/retail_iridium_denso.html
Old 10-01-2003, 05:51 PM
MY350Z.COM

lemme guess, clubplug PMed you guys?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:53 PM
MY350Z.COM

Originally posted by webcarconnection
Sorry Victor... they are IKH16 is for N/A aplication for FI or NOS is IKH20 more cold!!!

I buy them here http://www.clubplug.net/retail_iridium_denso.html
so i guess you got the IKH16's?
Old 10-01-2003, 06:22 PM
TheBigShow

so iridium is better than platinum, on a short-term basis? sorry, another topic i know nothing about .

Quick Reply: Iridium Spark Plugs... Good Mod.