Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Clutch help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:43 PM
Polska350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch help

I just picked up my 06 6speed enthusiast. I love the car its amazing but one thing that seems to be bothering me is the clutch. It seems to rattle when the car is in neutral and makes funny noises when i shift and always bucks going from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes even into 4th. This is my first time fully driving a stick car but i have a good amount of experience doing it so i dont think its anything im doing. Another concern is that the starting off in 1st the clutch grabs high i let about 60-70% off the clutch before i feel it grab. The car also makes a rattling noise when i turn it off i can hear it right before the engine is completely off. Any advice, if it turns out i need a new clutch how much is it for a new stock 350 clutch with installation, or is this just normal for Z's, either way an feedback is appreciated because i dont really know many people who have Z's around me to ask. My friend who has been driving stick a while now said it seems to be slipping not grabbing the gears...does this mean its just time for a new clutch? Thanks a lot
Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 PM
M3ANMACHINE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal for a novice driver to be a little jerky (give it some time for yourself to get used to it), and the stock engagement point is usually fairly high. You can use the search function for more info on that.

Also the rattling caused when you shut the car off is also normal for Z's, it has a very chattery flywheel. Try shutting it off while in gear, with the clutch pressed all the way down, and it won't make that noise if it really bugs you.

Good Luck, and please make proper use of the search function next time
Old 08-28-2009, 04:55 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from 4th gear at 2k rpm, step on the gas...if the car moves forward, and the rpms don't rise at a noticeably faster pace than the car is accelerating, the clutch is not slipping

noises are fairly common with the cars...the throw out bearings in particular like to make a racket. Replacing it is possible, but since it requires the tranny to come down, it's a good time to just replace the clutch altogether. Not a hard car to do a clutch on at all....layed out like any typical RWD car
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How many miles?

The engagement point may be adjustable. Take it to a mechanic.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Polska350Z

29000 yea can i use the method people said on this forum lossening the nut and turning some little rod to make it lower....cause i drove the car all day today and it really is very high
Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

the engagement point really is not adjustable, it's a hyrdaulic clutch - once freeplay is set, that's it

the engagement on a stock Z clutch is higher than most cars
Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 AM
NY350zG

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
the engagement point really is not adjustable, it's a hyrdaulic clutch - once freeplay is set, that's it

the engagement on a stock Z clutch is higher than most cars
What Kind of clutch and flywheel do you guys recommend? and WHAT can be done about the "Flywheel chatter" Which is REALLY the throw out bearings on this car?
Old 08-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

depends on your budget, and your uses and your goals

flywheel chatter and the throw out bearing are 2 different, unrelated noises - they sound a bit similar but they have nothing to do with one another
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 AM
NY350zG

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
depends on your budget, and your uses and your goals

flywheel chatter and the throw out bearing are 2 different, unrelated noises - they sound a bit similar but they have nothing to do with one another
I understand that.. I was just clarifying because some people on the forums are under the impression that the noise is caused by flywheel chatter , when in fact what you and i both said.. the throwout bearing is what makes noise. Haha.. Follow me?

As far as the clutch goes.. Autocross on the weekends..Still daily drivable.. Full bolt on.. Naturally asperated..Uprev tuned HR 350z. What clutch would you go with?