Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Cold weather budget build

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 02:03 AM
screwzloos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather budget build

Hello, all!

I have been a lurker here for about three years, and with a nice boost to my pocketbook from the forest fires around here this summer, I am ready to start tinkering with my Z.

First, I'll give a little background. I've got a 2004 350z with 55k miles, and am the third owner. The first was a rental car company, so I know the car hasn't been babied. It has an automatic, and the only performance modifications I know of are an Injen air intake and wider wheels and tires. The car doesn't burn any oil, has no leaks, and the engine sounds good, though I get a little black smoke when I rev it up. I have a good set of tools and mechanical skills available to me, though I lack a car lift or any diagnostic tools. I would like to avoid taking my car to a machine shop if possible.

So here's the deal: I've got about $5000 to invest in my car. I have a couple things to keep in mind, though, first that I'll be running the car at -30F or colder for a good part of the year. This is my only car right now, so I need to continue with pump gas and keep my emissions in spec, and I can't have the car out of action for more than about four days at a time. What I am most interested in is getting more mid-range power out of the engine with more traction coming second. I do not want my exhaust noise to go up considerably; it's loud enough as it is.

I've looked through the FAQs and several of the threads here, and it looks to me that the best fitting option I have available is a Turbonetics stage 1 turbo kit. Problem is, that's the entire $5000 in one go, and I don't know if there is more that I will need or how it will hold up at very cold temperatures. I also don't know if a turbo is the right direction for performance increases given the history of the car.

Honestly, I usually don't run the car very hard, cold or otherwise, and for me it's more about having the power available to me than actually using it regularly. That being said, NOS is out of the question. I am not concerned with the warranty anymore, but I plan on keeping the car for a while, so I'd like it to last at least another few years.

So should I go ahead with the turbo? Or does anyone have any other thoughts? Questions? I am open to comments and criticism alike; let me know what you think.

Thanks -
Russ
Old 08-29-2009, 02:52 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

From people that have owned the kit turbonetics seems to NEVER be a good idea.

Its either so I may be in half retard mode but AK = Alaska correct? Wow and the Z is your only car? Your brave.

Why dont you get simple bolt ons like catback, Tp's maybe a tune. Then take the rest and do suspension and/or rims.

If you dont drive the car hard why do you need more power? Also with it that cold how do you ever expect to put the power down.

Last but not least, Why didnt you buy an evo or sti?
Old 08-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

-30f or colder? And daily drive? How much snow? Wow...I prob not even bother z...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:47 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cold weather and forced-induction? Why not? If a naturally aspirated motor will run in cold weather certainly forced-induction will.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

-30f or more colder isn't just cold weather. Its...freezeeee
Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM
screwzloos

Yes, I am in Alaska, though my type of cold weather is a bit unique. You see, when it gets cold here, it dries out. The roads are all bone dry and stay that way from October until May. We average about 10 inches of precipitation here per year - one of the lowest in the country. It almost never snows. I've never gotten stuck or put my car in the ditch.

As for why I am looking for power that I'll hardly ever use? I guess I'm looking for a fun project that has tangible results more than anything. I like to go out and push it once a week or so just for the sake of getting the adrenaline going, so it wouldn't be a total waste. Think of it like driving a Ferrari as opposed to a Z06. I probably baby the car more than I should.

I suppose I could do catbacks, a TP, and a tune, so I will keep that in mind. That would certainly be easier than a forced induction install. I've already got great wheels, though. I'm not totally sure what to do about the suspension; the curbs around here are generally made for trucks so lowering is out. Maybe stiffer bars in the front and rear would be nice.

I didn't get an evo or sti because I have to have my coupe. Four doors just doesn't do it for me. From here, it's Porsche or Lotus for me.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I still haven't decided anything for sure. Should I be wary of the bit of black smoke I get when I rev? Or the haze of carbon it leaves around my exhaust? It seems to only be aesthetically displeasing, but I could be wrong. I suppose it's probably running just a little rich.