Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 350z 5AT question about cold stutter

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:39 PM
dirtbikr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 350z 5AT question about cold stutter

Hey guys,

It has been getting colder here (60 degrees in the morning, oooh, ahhh) and I noticed something that wasn't there all summer. Whenever I take off in the morning I always let the oil pressure drop to below 60psi (or just about under 1000 rpms) before I shift into "D". I then take off as I normally would, and never allow the car to go above 2,000 rpms for the first two or three minutes.

What I have been noticing now is that after I take off with a moderate amount of throttle and the car is still cold, as in turned on within the last five minutes, I will get a stutter from the transmission, almost like a jolt. I press the gas, it goes, hesitates, then continues on as normal. The hesitation is less than a quarter of a second or so, but completely noticeable. This will NEVER happen when the car is at full operating temperature, just in the morning or after I get off from work (sits about 8 hours).

Some background info:
Car has 37,xxx miles and is a touring
Didn't do it all last winter, I know this as a fact, it's very noticeable
If I take off extremely slowly it will not do it
It stops once it's fully warmed up
I change my fluid every other oil change -- 6,000 miles (just a drain and fill with 3.5 quarts)
fluid level, smell, and color are all fine

Any help or insight would be appreciated, it just irks me that this is happening when I know it shouldn't be, and I know it's actually something when my girlfriend notices it without me even telling her.

Thanks!

Edit: I was also looking to get the transgo kit in, would that solve this problem indirectly or would it just make it that much harder to have Nissan replace my transmission in the event of a failure? If it fails, I don't want them to be able to blame it on anything but their own transmission.

Last edited by dirtbikr; 10-20-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: added something
Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Now that it is October “cold” questions will become more popular. Vehicles are designed to operate properly at operating temperature - not before.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:04 AM
dirtbikr

Originally Posted by davidv
Now that it is October “cold” questions will become more popular. Vehicles are designed to operate properly at operating temperature - not before.
That's exactly what I saw you say before in a thread and I tried to rationalize this with that thought, but I'm just curious why it never did it last year? I've never had another car do this when cold, but then again I've never had another sports car that was an auto...
Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 PM
dirtbikr

Any other A/T guys have this? I tried out a couple different things and it didn't do it with the A/C on, just off... any ideas? that would mean it's not the tranny or it was just a fluke.