/thread
Old 11-17-2009, 02:49 AM
halfass872

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z04
if you are even asking that question then it is not

/thread

+1

There are a MILLION threads like this. You (The OP) should have been able to do a simple search and answered your question 50 times over without making another post about it.

OP........Simplly put, if you change your oil when you should, no it's not worth it. Use either Conventional oil, changed every 3,000miles. Mobile 1 (Or whatever brand of choice Synthetic) changed every 5,000 miles. OEM filter, Purolator, anything will work just fine.

I think that's the answer you wanted. Oil is oil if you aren't FI, and don't drive the **** outta it 24/7. And if you do drive the **** outta it, just change it a little more frequently!
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Lakeside

Exclamation

Originally Posted by halfass872
+1

There are a MILLION threads like this. You (The OP) should have been able to do a simple search and answered your question 50 times over without making another post about it.

OP........Simplly put, if you change your oil when you should, no it's not worth it. Use either Conventional oil, changed every 3,000miles. Mobile 1 (Or whatever brand of choice Synthetic) changed every 5,000 miles. OEM filter, Purolator, anything will work just fine.

I think that's the answer you wanted. Oil is oil if you aren't FI, and don't drive the **** outta it 24/7. And if you do drive the **** outta it, just change it a little more frequently!
Don't "halfass it" Conventional oil Mobil one is ok! I am guilty of using Mobil 1 at times. Its still 2nd to Amsoil. But wow who recommends conventional Dino oil?!

I have owned several domestic vehicles using Amsoil through out the engine and drivetrain go 225kmi + with no leaks or repairs. I'm not talking DD's with all highway mileage either. I am talking trucks that are 10 years old or more. That have also been used for towing.

Other then basic tune-ups, wear and tear items such as brakes and exhaust components the only significant repairs were ECM's or electrical related. I'd also like to note I have sold these vehicles to friends and they are still running strong to this day!!!

Hell no to conventional Dino oil......
Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Don't "halfass it" Conventional oil Mobil one is ok! I am guilty of using Mobil 1 at times. Its still 2nd to Amsoil. But wow who recommends conventional Dino oil?!

I have owned several domestic vehicles using Amsoil through out the engine and drivetrain go 225kmi + with no leaks or repairs. I'm not talking DD's with all highway mileage either. I am talking trucks that are 10 years old or more. That have also been used for towing.

Other then basic tune-ups, wear and tear items such as brakes and exhaust components the only significant repairs were ECM's or electrical related. I'd also like to note I have sold these vehicles to friends and they are still running strong to this day!!!

Hell no to conventional Dino oil......

Damn, take a brake from the church of Amsoil!! lol

I'm pretty sure cars that were well maintained back in the days before synthetics ran for 10+ years on conventional oil. Yes better oil (Not necessarly the most expensive synthetic oil on the market), may add SOME longevity in SEVERE DUTY AND EXTENDED DRAIN APPLICATIONS, but how many of our cars honestly see those type of conditions? Conventional oil is far FAR superior to what it used to be, there's a reason it's damn near the price of synthetic now.

In the OP's case, he isn't FI, and has basic bolt ons. So like he said. Why should he waste money if he doesn't have to? I can think of a ton of things i'd rather do with my money then **** it away on overpriced synthetics when i can get the same protection from other synthetics or good conventional oil. And if i did **** it away on over priced synthetics, i'd be damned if i'm gonna leave it in there for 10-15K miles!! I don't care what the propaganda says!

Last edited by halfass872; 11-17-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:40 PM
wcbcruzer

Man... 3000 mile oil changes? The oil is barely broken in, especially with synthetic.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Man... 3000 mile oil changes? The oil is barely broken in, especially with synthetic.
IMO, i don't think 3,000 mile oil changes are necessarly a waste in FI applications. Due to the extra heat and contditions the oil is subjected to. I'd imagine the additives and detergents, and all the other goodies would get used up a little quicker then in a NA situation.

But in a NA application, i agree. 3,000 mile intervals is more reserved for conventional oil. But as cheap as synthetic has became now adays, it's not as if you are dumping $50+ per oil change if you are doing it yourself. So if it makes ya happy, then do it!