Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VIDEO - Help! Engine does not start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:35 AM
deffe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIDEO - Help! Engine does not start.

Hi All

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdlHGl6oxEg

I've just recived my car (350Z '03). Which I bought for 3 months ago. The car has been shipped from the US California to Sweden. Which means it has not been
driven for a long time. The battery was close to dead when it arrived but has now been recharged.

The car looks greate, but it wont start!

Ive tried to charge the battery and also tried to start it in a warm garage several times with the same result.

I feal that it can be whatever. I have not even seen the car until today so it could be something as simple like not knowing which buttons to push. Like the clutch thingy :-P

Im going to change the sparkplugs and those basic stuff tomorrow but all help is much appreciated. Basic as advance.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
F34RL355
Banned

did you put some gas in?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
hellsoldiers08

could it be a bad pump?? have you tried pushing it and someone gets in real quick and does a clutch pop. you have it in 1st gear push down left off and then push down again real quick. The car would feel like it trying to start or w.e. exactly how long did it take for shipping??
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by F34RL355
did you put some gas in?
indicator shows half tank.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
could it be a bad pump?? have you tried pushing it and someone gets in real quick and does a clutch pop. you have it in 1st gear push down left off and then push down again real quick. The car would feel like it trying to start or w.e. exactly how long did it take for shipping??
Hooked it up behind my fathers Volvo V70 and tried to start it up with a clutch pop several times. It did not seem like it was realy igniting. it could have been my imagination but I did a few times "belive" it was running a bit by its own but like I said it was probably more of imagination then anything else.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:32 PM
hellsoldiers08

hmm. well you may want to check to see the fuel pump is runnning because it could not be getting gas to the engine. Also how long was the shipping time?
Old 01-12-2010, 01:35 PM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sound like your tranponder was not synched up. I take it that you bought a used car. The previous owner could have gotten the key cut but did not sych the transponder. I had the same thing happend when I had to replaced my keys. The car will started but it cut of right afterward.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:38 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
hmm. well you may want to check to see the fuel pump is runnning because it could not be getting gas to the engine. Also how long was the shipping time?
Shipping time was about 1½-2 month.

Will haver a look if the pump is working later on but I belive so. I think I can hear it startup when turning the key.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by huyrua
Sound like your tranponder was not synched up. I take it that you bought a used car. The previous owner could have gotten the key cut but did not sych the transponder. I had the same thing happend when I had to replaced my keys. The car will started but it cut of right afterward.
This could perhaps be the reason. Sounds alot like my problem. I was just googling for "immobilizer" and "350Z". Will try to find more info about this so that I can test it somehow(?)
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deffe
Hooked it up behind my fathers Volvo V70 and tried to start it up with a clutch pop several times. It did not seem like it was realy igniting. it could have been my imagination but I did a few times "belive" it was running a bit by its own but like I said it was probably more of imagination then anything else.
You might want to read the owners manual before trying any more drastic measures like that. You could be making the problem worse.

PUSH STARTING

Do not attempt to start the engine by pushing.
CAUTION
Automatic transmission models cannot
be push started. Attempting to do
so may cause transmission damage.
Three way catalyst equipped models
should not be started by pushing
since the three way catalyst may be
damaged.
Never try to start the vehicle by towing
it; when the engine starts, the
forward surge could cause the vehicle
to collide with the tow vehicle.

A bad/dying battery could be your problem. While you can put it on a charger and it may even read 14V, it won't be able to crank the car. Under load it may not be delivering enough power. If you have access to a battery tester, use one of those to check the cranking ability. Worse case, buy a new battery and start from there.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:08 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
You might want to read the owners manual before trying any more drastic measures like that. You could be making the problem worse.

A bad/dying battery could be your problem. While you can put it on a charger and it may even read 14V, it won't be able to crank the car. Under load it may not be delivering enough power. If you have access to a battery tester, use one of those to check the cranking ability. Worse case, buy a new battery and start from there.
I have a manual car (MT) so it "should" not be any problem... or has nissan something special to be worried about ?

Ive tried to start the car using startingcables. taking power from the volvo. Meaning the Volvo was the powersource for the 350z

Its like it fires of for halfasecond to like 1500rpm (max) if I put the pedal to the metal when starting then it totaly dies on me. half a second max..
Old 01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
deffe

Just tried the 10 seconds on and then 5 seconds off (doing it twice method)
and also the other way around 5seconds on and 10 seconds on (doing twice).

without results.

Perhaps Im doing it wrong?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM
hellsoldiers08

what the guy said about they key thing, makes sense. You should go to your local dealer and see if that not the case before you check pumps and stuff.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:56 PM
R350Zz33

do u hear ur fuel pump come on when u turn the ignition to on u should here a buzz for a second or two behind the driver seat
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
deffe

Originally Posted by R350Zz33
do u hear ur fuel pump come on when u turn the ignition to on u should here a buzz for a second or two behind the driver seat
Yes I belive so.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:17 PM
deffe

I got 3 keys on 2 diffrent keychains.

One of the "remotecontrols" seems to work. it locks/unlocks the doors aswell as trunk. The other remote is either out of battery or not working.

Would it be possible to lock and unlock the car even though the "tranponder was not synched" ?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:20 PM
deffe

Im confident that the car "starts" for a breif moment of time. Its like if it fires up and then something "shuts" the engine off extremly quickly.

Ive tried to start the engine so many times now so that I can now smell the gasoline in the exhaust pipes.

It sure feals like some sort of security immobilizer thingy is in the way. Or at least that is what I think.

Last edited by deffe; 01-13-2010 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
GT-Z

It's gotta be a fuel pump.. it starts but wont stay started because there is no gas..
Old 01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
huyrua

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deffe
I got 3 keys on 2 diffrent keychains.

One of the "remotecontrols" seems to work. it locks/unlocks the doors aswell as trunk. The other remote is either out of battery or not working.

Would it be possible to lock and unlock the car even though the "tranponder was not synched" ?

When I redid my keys I had to do three things in order for the car run.

1.reprogram the remote( It will only lock/unlock your car)
2.cut the key (It will allow you to lock/unlock your car)
3.reprogram the transponder(chip)-my car would only starts up and dies afterward prior to that.

In your video, that's what my car did. I don't think its your battery or your fuel pump. Good luck on diagnosing the problem. Keep us posted and congrats on the Z.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM
deffe

[/B]

When I redid my keys I had to do three things in order for the car run.

1.reprogram the remote( It will only lock/unlock your car)
2.cut the key (It will allow you to lock/unlock your car)
3.reprogram the transponder(chip)-my car would only starts up and dies afterward prior to that.

In your video, that's what my car did. I don't think its your battery or your fuel pump. Good luck on diagnosing the problem. Keep us posted and congrats on the Z.
Thanks alot for your input.
Could you if possible describe in details how you reprogrammed your transponder since I could not find that much info about it, or at least not enough info to do it correctly.

Also. the second step... Cut the key?
Say what?

I think you might have the solution for my problem, and I would be very thankful for your time and help over the forum.

Thanks

Quick Reply: VIDEO - Help! Engine does not start.