Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

02 sensor keeps dying.. Nissan doesn't know why..

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Zomgfast123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now they telling me the code is for the driver side and that the sensor is "welded" in and is not covered. I think that's bs, so I'm going to a shop today to see if it really is. Will I be able to see the sensor under the car without removing any bolts?
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Becareful though, this is a tough one to figure out, look through the forums this question has been asked many times and no one seems to have the same answer. As for it being welded in... I've not noticed that but I do have an 2005 and I'm only familiar with that year.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

The sensors are not welded in. They probably stripped it trying to get it off and are now trying to pawn that mistake off on you and your wallet.

I believe your dealer is in violation of federal law by denying you warranty service on an emission control part, which the oxygen sensor is. These parts must be covered for 8 yrs/ 80k miles.

Reference this (print it out and take it to them): http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
Old 01-19-2010, 10:38 AM
jtabraham

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssawa
My sensors and cats went bad a year ago on my '07 Z. Nissan said it was caused by my K&N drop-in filters. They replaced all of it under warranty and put OEM filters in. They thought the oil from the filters plugged the sensors. Thing is the filters only had factory oil on them. I've since changed to a Nismo intake with no problems.

I have a hard time believing that oil from your K&N air filter would negatively affect an O2 sensor. Over oiling a K&N filter can cause buildup on your Mass AirFlow Sensor, but I'd imagine the trivial amount that might make it to your engine would just burn up before getting to your O2 sensor.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Zomgfast123

Originally Posted by rcdash
The sensors are not welded in. They probably stripped it trying to get it off and are now trying to pawn that mistake off on you and your wallet.

I believe your dealer is in violation of federal law by denying you warranty service on an emission control part, which the oxygen sensor is. These parts must be covered for 8 yrs/ 80k miles.

Reference this (print it out and take it to them): http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
They said since it's welded it won't go into stock header any more.. Trying to charge me 900 for a manifold lmao
Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 PM
importdemon5

You can see them easily. I don't remember if you have to take the cover under the engine off or not to see it. But that is easy to take off. Go to a mechanic, not nissan, and see what they say about it and have them check to see if nissan actually stripped it. Dealers always try to **** you over. Stand up for yourself and don't take no for an answer
Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM
importdemon5

So if my car is no longer under warranty by nissan and I have the 1273 and 1283 codes showing up, Nissan is required by federal law to change these a/f sensors out for free as long as the car isn't over 8 yrs old and is under 80k miles?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by importdemon5
So if my car is no longer under warranty by nissan and I have the 1273 and 1283 codes showing up, Nissan is required by federal law to change these a/f sensors out for free as long as the car isn't over 8 yrs old and is under 80k miles?
I think mod'ed parts may cause a problem. And if you remove them the error will more than likely not return. But it may be worth a try.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:07 PM
tnk210

My code was different (p0037), but so far they have replaced the ECU and o2 sensor with no luck.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM
Zazz93

One more thing Zomgfast123 , to be careful of as far as the Dealership, especialy one so reluctant to make a situation right, is some shops have the ability to turn off the code for good. This is not a fix just a workaround that people use when they can't figure out whats wrong but think it is safe. Being a warranty repair I'm not sure I'd accept "I don't know" as an answer and the dealership may try to pull a quick one to get you out of their hair. Just an FYI on some of the current practices out there.

Last edited by Zazz93; 01-19-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:31 PM
importdemon5

^^^ This is why you mark your parts and take some up to date pictures. Then ask what work was done to car. If they say they removed the part and you check and the mark you put there is still there. Then it's off to harass them and possibly go to a lawyer.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Zomgfast123

sooooo Nissan is retarded. They said the a/f ratio sensor was welded into my header... dumbasses, i went to the shop today and put on lift and looked dead at it... took pics and all. bringing pics to nissan tmrw and telling them to fix this NOW. My cat does have a welded in 02 since i ran something over and knew i was going FI i didnt wanna bother with another cat. BUT I TOLD THEM THAT! oh well, guess its donuts and hot chocolate tmrw morning @ Nissan haha

Last edited by Zomgfast123; 01-19-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Zomgfast123

Originally Posted by Zazz93
One more thing Zomgfast123 , to be careful of as far as the Dealership, especialy one so reluctant to make a situation right, is some shops have the ability to turn off the code for good. This is not a fix just a workaround that people use when they can't figure out whats wrong but think it is safe. Being a warranty repair I'm not sure I'd accept "I don't know" as an answer and the dealership may try to pull a quick one to get you out of their hair. Just an FYI on some of the current practices out there.
wow, did not know they can turn code off, thought u could only do that with a reflash ( even though they are nissan ) thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by Zomgfast123
sooooo Nissan is retarded. They said the a/f ratio sensor was welded into my header... dumbasses, i went to the shop today and put on lift and looked dead at it... took pics and all. bringing pics to nissan tmrw and telling them to fix this NOW. My cat does have a welded in 02 since i ran something over and knew i was going FI i didnt wanna bother with another cat. BUT I TOLD THEM THAT! oh well, guess its donuts and hot chocolate tmrw morning @ Nissan haha
Ohhhhhhhhh.... now I see why they are giving you a fit. It sounds like you had a muffler shop fix your cat when it was damaged. And the fix they did included welding in the O2 sensor. That's not good. They will blame that repair for the code.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Zomgfast123

Yeap, went there today, they said I have a leak on the cat, which I don't or I'd hear it. They said that leak is making the a/F sensor go off. So I put some exhaust fix on the cat to fix a leak If there was one, and switched the o2 sensor ports for the cats ( so if the cat is the problem, now bank 1 should go off instead of bank 2) waiting for the puddy stuff tp dry then I'll clear code and take for a spin.

Last edited by Zomgfast123; 01-20-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:49 PM
Zomgfast123

so, like i said earlier, i went under the car, and switched the connectors to the o2 sensors from the cats, so that the cats are now read oposite sides, so i can see if the cat infact is bad. After doin this i get the SES again after about 50 miles, and scanned. NOW im getting code p2a00 sensor 1 b1. SOOO that means the cat that was connected to drivers side, is now reading on passenger side, now thru a code for the passenger side air fuel ratio 02 sensor. so im guessing it really is the cat like nissan said? or is it thorwing this code becuase its reading the wrong side? also keep in mind, the code that was once for the a/f ratio 02 sensor bank2 ( driver side ) there is now no code... hmmm
Old 01-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Zazz93

What is reading these odd codes? What kind of reader do you have?
Old 01-20-2010, 06:10 PM
Zomgfast123

its my dads tranny shop. its a snap on scanner.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:13 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

CATS are also covered for 80k/8 yrs (I believe, reference the link above) per federal emission regulations.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM
Zazz93

Do you know what the code means? I can't find a translation on that type of code. Best I came up with was "P2A00 / P2A03 (A/F Sensor 1 Range/Performance; Bank 1 / 2)" This however would be associated with the header sensor (A/F Sensor 1), not the cat sensor that was welded in after the fix. But because the switch yieled different results and codes it leads me to believe there is a correlation between the 1st and 2nd sensors causing the problem. Unfortunately, this car's emisson and A/F system is so complicated and sensitive it could be working correctly and still be a problem.

Quick Reply: 02 sensor keeps dying.. Nissan doesn't know why..