Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:38 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff, hope you get used to the new clutch. Keep us posted as to Tilton's response to a "softer" set-up. Toggle-switch clutches are a b i t c h!

Are you planning on taking the new set-up to a road course? I'd love to read that review!
Old 10-29-2003, 02:58 PM
John

Originally posted by failsafe
Jeff- any chatter?
You won't get any chatter if you simply rev is up and go as Jeff was doing. You'll get chatter when you try to modulate the clutch for a smoother / more casual start-up.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:26 PM
vincenzobar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SO your say i have a chance! (dumb and dummer)
Old 10-30-2003, 10:22 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by John
You won't get any chatter if you simply rev is up and go as Jeff was doing. You'll get chatter when you try to modulate the clutch for a smoother / more casual start-up.
He was also driving the car around the streets trying to get a feel for it which is why I asked.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:28 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by failsafe
He was also driving the car around the streets trying to get a feel for it which is why I asked.
The car is getting easier to drive now as I'm getting used to the on/off aspect of the clutch. I would still not yet recommend it for the guy in traffic. I'm hoping since we are working with Tilton on the development of this product that I can get them to make a street version as well. I want to keep this flywheel as it would be hard to go back to anything heavier again. Problem is this will only work with the 7 1/4 clutch assy. (stock is just under 12")
Old 10-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hows the pedal feel?

stiffer than stock i assume-- i think the Z clutch feel fairly stiffer than most cars.. im just worried that my left leg will get bigger than it already is.. (i have the ACT HDMM in my maxima..)
Old 10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
John

I know what you're talking about Chest. I had an ACT XTSS in my former car, and that thing would throw out most people's backs. Since I am no longer interested in drag racing, I don't need such an aggressive clutch, but definitely would be interested in a better option when mine finally decides to die down the road...
Old 10-30-2003, 12:33 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by Chebosto
hows the pedal feel?
Pedal pressure is about the same as stock.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:00 PM
little_rod

So you are saying that this flywheel can only be used with a different clutch. Jeff, how is yours different from what a person would use on the street and why is it difficult to use in traffic??
Old 10-30-2003, 04:39 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by little_rod
So you are saying that this flywheel can only be used with a different clutch. Jeff, how is yours different from what a person would use on the street and why is it difficult to use in traffic??
Look at the pictures on page one. It has 2 ceramic discs and is very firm..... very little to no slipage. Great in a high horsepower application, for a car that will be street raced or on the track. Becuase of the little to no slipage issue, you can't ride the clutch, it will lock up and engage fully. The reason you need to use a different clutch with this flywheel, is size. Your stock clutch is about a foot in diameter. This one is 7 1/4". What they are doing is getting all the rotatioal mass as close to the center as possible. This car rev's like a motorcycle, and if you stand on the throttle from a stop, it accelerates like no other Z I've yet driven.... (next to our race car). I'm starting to find the "zone" to launch the car, but still do not recommend it for stop and go traffic cars. At this point I can't imagine going back to a heavier set up. There is something to be said about the acceleration of this.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 PM
little_rod

Jeff, so does it jerk when it engages, can you be smooth on takeoff?? Flywheels have a tendency to come at a decent price, but with a clutch, I figure it could be quite expensive. Is it?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:29 PM
KONVERTER

Here is a link to the exact set up in his car... Its going in mine hopefully next week now...

$983.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most gains per dollar i think... or effective...

Old 10-30-2003, 05:48 PM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by little_rod
Jeff, so does it jerk when it engages, can you be smooth on takeoff?? Flywheels have a tendency to come at a decent price, but with a clutch, I figure it could be quite expensive. Is it?
I can now get it to take off without jerking the car around, but it takes practice. Not just anybody can jump in my car and drive away anymore....... maybe not such a bad thing... KONVERTER will be our next test pilot and I'm sure he will let you know his thought's, but we probably won't do his till I get back from SEMA, unless I can fit his car in on Monday.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:35 AM
g356gear

I would be interested to see on the dyno if there was any torque loss from this mod. I know it should rev like crazy but torque wins the race.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:42 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by g356gear
I would be interested to see on the dyno if there was any torque loss from this mod. I know it should rev like crazy but torque wins the race.
We're both in luck!! So.Cal. dyno day is this Saturday. We will see what happens. Tilton claims the curve should show a 30+hp increase in acceleration on the dyno. I plan on testing that!!
Old 10-31-2003, 08:08 AM
DrCold

This is all very good news to me. I will probably be replacing my tranny before too long and i wanted to do as much as i could while it was out.

The only thing thats stopping me from this kit is how extreme the clutch is. Does Tilton plan on making a less aggressive clutch? I really like the idea of this setup, but if they only have this one clutch, i'll probably go with a Jun flywheel and a less aggressive clutch. The frist thing i noticed when i first got the Z was how "slow" it reved up (now, i' know its not slow, but it just feels like it should be faster). I will wait for a this flywheel if Tilton says they'll make a different clutch soon.
Old 10-31-2003, 08:54 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by DrCold
The only thing thats stopping me from this kit is how extreme the clutch is. Does Tilton plan on making a less aggressive clutch?
I will be working on this question when we get back from SEMA. I'm meeting with Tilton at the show. I want to keep this set-up so I as well want a more traffic friendly clutch. I will do what I can to make this happen!!!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 AM
hfm

Originally posted by Jeff@Performance
We're both in luck!! So.Cal. dyno day is this Saturday. We will see what happens. Tilton claims the curve should show a 30+hp increase in acceleration on the dyno. I plan on testing that!!
Wow! That's a huge claim. Jeff, would you happen to know what if any claim is made for the JWT flywheel? See you tomorrow man.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:50 AM
Jeff@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally posted by hfm
Wow! That's a huge claim. Jeff, would you happen to know what if any claim is made for the JWT flywheel? See you tomorrow man.
Haven't heard anything on the JWT, I'm sure there must be a number floating around somewhere. The number Tilton gave us was taking on testing done with our race car.
Old 10-31-2003, 09:58 AM
DrCold

Sweet Jeff, thanks for the quick reply. I guess i'll try to hold out a little longer to see what Tilton is going to do.

Quick Reply: My new TILTON 8lb Flywheel