Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Aftermarket valve covers w/ replaceble gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM
weak 350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BonesZ33
I have a 2003 with factory seals and 130k on it.. And only one of them is leaking oil. I really don't see the big deal in just replacing it with the factory seals again, they'll last at least another 6 years. Use RTV sealant if it makes you feel any better. Why go through all that trouble.
Because you can't replace just the spark plug tube seals. Its part of the plastic valve covers. You would have to buy the valve cover to fix the problem. Hence this thread.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could the taller coilpack mount be milled down to other's specs???

Im sure the bolt mount will have to be drilled deeper and rethreaded, but its not that big of a deal.

As long as the o.d. of the base on the taller mount is the same as the shorter mounts, this should be the solution to the problem at hand
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket valve covers w/ replaceble gaskets-metal-valve-cover.jpg  
Old 04-29-2010, 02:47 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by bikinilust

Im sure the bolt mount will have to be drilled deeper and rethreaded, but its not that big of a deal.

As long as the o.d. of the base on the taller mount is the same as the shorter mounts, this should be the solution to the problem at hand

Good call! I'm going to order a set of these in and see what can be done. The seals are near the bottom so it seems that the machining will not affect the seal. We may need to locate or machine a washer of some type to seal off the upper lip area. Its seems a flange/ledge has been integrated to the top for PCV sealing.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Does anyone know if all 01-04 Pathfinders us Aluminum? I have some listing for 03 that indicate plastic covers.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Andrei

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only 01-02

I don't think it's worth the trouble. Just buy the 6th coil and be done with it.

Last edited by Andrei; 04-30-2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
bikinilust

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much does it cost for that one coil pack?

I would think alot of guys would want to jump on this conversion just for the ability to have polished metal valve covers, yet not wanting to spend a chunk of change on a coil pack

If one was to figure out a way to alter these valve covers so that they can be a straight forward swap, and polish them, these might be the next big thing after the polished upper plenums
Old 04-30-2010, 12:32 PM
QNman

In for subscription...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
BrazenZ

Great write up Andrei, I believe many people will be doing this mod now that you have shown the way.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Andrei

how much does it cost for that one coil pack?

I would think alot of guys would want to jump on this conversion just for the ability to have polished metal valve covers, yet not wanting to spend a chunk of change on a coil pack

If one was to figure out a way to alter these valve covers so that they can be a straight forward swap, and polish them, these might be the next big thing after the polished upper plenums
It's $89 online + shipping. I sanded mine down already and they are ready for polishing.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:00 AM
NiZMo1o1

subscribing , nice find as I was looking at the VQ30DE covers, would like to see how this comes out
Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 AM
NiZMo1o1

updates?
Old 05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
GeturZZZs

OK if im understanding this correctly the spark plug seals in the valve cover can not be changed therefore we must buy a new cover each time?
Old 05-06-2010, 02:15 AM
DaveFunction2ND
Banned

Originally Posted by GeturZZZs
OK if im understanding this correctly the spark plug seals in the valve cover can not be changed therefore we must buy a new cover each time?
Correct.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:22 AM
BrazenZ

Originally Posted by DaveFunction2ND
Does anyone know if all 01-04 Pathfinders us Aluminum? I have some listing for 03 that indicate plastic covers.
From what I've learned from the local Nissan parts department only the 2001 pathfinder had the aluminum valve covers, has anybody else found different information?

Andrei how about an update? Have you installed these valve covers yet?
Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM
_ink

Great work!!!

There is definitely a market for these to be design as an aftermarket option! Just need someone to be able to do so!!
Old 06-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Andrei

UPDATE
They are installed now and I do have pics. The passenger side was the hardest and it is leaking because the gasket more than likely moved out of place when I put the cover on the cylinder head. It is really tight on the passenger side and I did not want to waste time taking more stuff off so I should have. There was also no way for me to see if the gasket moved because there's no room and I did not have a small mirror neither to check. They also clear if I remove the heat shield off the hood. The driver side cover does not clear the throttle body because of a hose tube but can still be used without problem.

More updates tomorrow.

Last edited by Andrei; 06-12-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Andrei

UPDATE

The valve covers DO NOT work. The car misfires so I guess the coils do not reach far enough to the spark plugs with these covers. When I pull off the coils it doesn't seem that it reaches all the way down on the spark plugs. I don't get that pop sound.

Since there are too many issues with this mod it's not worth it. The hood does not clear the oil snorkel. The breather nipple on the driver side hardly clears the TB. None of the coils reach down far enough I guess without filling down the mounting surface and the coils also do not seal on the surface of the covers. I wasted 2 days on this and more time to come putting on the original covers and a lot of money for nothing.

I also found out that none of the spark seals were leaking on my car even at 100k miles now(could be because I used Mobil 1 with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer $60 per oil change). But somehow the motor had oil in the lower and upper plenum.

Pics.

Last edited by Andrei; 06-13-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Andrei

UPDATE

Original covers are on the car now. Idles fine with no misfire. One cover bolt broke. One bolt got lost when I dropped it and even though I must of dropped them countless times 1 decided to go MIA. Will have to get those 2 bolts replaced Monday first thing. Doesn't appear to leak for now.

For anyone who might be changing their covers here are a few pointers:
Never work in 90 degree weather in the sun.
Always work in a shop with plenty of tools. If all you have is a ratchet, an extension and a 10mm socket don't do it.
ALWAYS work with a compressor and power tools. If I had some power tools this was only going to take me less than a day. I decided to do it now because I really though the problem was bad but as I found out the problem wasn't bad at all. All I had to do instead of changing the covers is clean the oil out of the plenums, replace spark plugs.

Last edited by Andrei; 06-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they always get oil in the upper plenum...a real catch can setup will all but eliminate it

it has nothing to do with valvecovers
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Andrei

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
they always get oil in the upper plenum...a real catch can setup will all but eliminate it

it has nothing to do with valvecovers
I have one but don't want to install it until I remove the coolant hose across the timing cover and a bunch of other cooling hoses to the TB.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket valve covers w/ replaceble gaskets