Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:57 PM
HoffR1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch issue

I'm having some problems with the clutch in my z (2005 manual) and thought maybe someone here would have ideas or had similiar problems in the past. In searching the forums, I found several threads where people were referring to a sticking problem with the clutch that was solved by replacing the fluid for the clutch (?) but I'm not sure if it's the same problem I'm having, and certainly don't see why changing the fluid would fix anything.

Basically the problem seems to be intermittent and just happens. While I'm driving I'll go to shift and need to put the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to disengange. When I start to lift up again, instead of the clutch engaging after the pedal has traveled maybe halfway up, it grabs immediately, and the overall pedal travel seems maybe an inch or two at most, so that the clutch pedal is lower than the brake pedal with the clutch fully engaged. If I tap the underside of the pedal with my toe, it'll pop up to the normal position, but the whole first half of the pedal travel is free travel, it doesn't start to disengage the clutch until nearly on the floor.

It seems that if I keep driving, the problem will then disappear again, almost as though somehow the hydralic pressure was too low, and then is restored. I can find no signs of leaking around the primary cylinder though I haven't been able to crawl under the car enough to visually inspect the slave cylinder. The fluid level in the resevoir seems fine though, it's filled all the way up.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here? I bled the line in case of air, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Does pumping the pedal make any difference?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Mine does this as well. It seams to happen when it gets hot and once the car sits its back to normal. I was told it was my clutch disk that sticks when it gets hot.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I sometimes get this only when the car is cold, then it disappears. btw I am running OS Giken STR twin clutch/flywheel, nismo ss clutch line, and ATE fluid.

Do you have stock or aftermarket clutch? stock clutch line? stock fluid? I'd recommend a ss clutch line and better clutch fluid even if you weren't experiencing the problems you are having now, because w/out those simple (and affordable) upgrades, a sticky clutch pedal can become a problem when running the car hard.

My issue, with the upgraded and stiffer clutch, may be due to something in the hydraulics.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:19 PM
bdahern

I've had this issue on hot days - sticks after a shift and I pop it up with my foot. After the car sits it works fine again. Asked the dealer and they couldn't replicate it and aside from the wear 50K miles gives it, the clutch was fine.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:25 PM
HoffR1

It definitely seems to happen on the hot days, I've only noticed it three time significantly now, both days >90 I don't neccessarily have to let it sit though, just driving it seemed to go away again. clutch is all stock right now.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:33 AM
Brett@AwesomeZ
Vendor - Former Vendor

Take the cap off the master clyinder and have a look at the fluid, if it is really dark it may be time to flush it out and put some dot 4 in there. If the problem persists and pumping the pedal makes it go into gear easier, you may need a master cylinder.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:56 AM
kingkazz

I've have the exact same problem. I have a 05 35th Anniversary with about miles on it and I still have the stock clutch. The dealership replaced the clutch master cylinder yesterday and the problem seems worse now than it was before. I'm going to take it back in tomorrow. I'll let you guys know if we come up with anything new.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM
kramykram

drive the car for a while, jack it up and have someone pump the pedal. see if the rubber line expands any. if it does you might just need to get stainless coated fluid line.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM
HoffR1

yeah, my current solution for if the problem keeps re-occuring intermittently and I can't get it to happen in the dealership lot is new fluid and new lines.