Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR Crank Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:55 AM
JPCo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 350Z_Redline
The instructions can be found here. It should answer most of your questions. Anyone know where I can find a belt tension gauge?
You can generally get a belt tension guage from any SnapOn or MAC tool truck. You might be able to pick one up from a parts house, IF they carry a large and comprehensive inventory.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:20 AM
wadd3456

ok, ill try AGAIN tonight........ poor car looks lonely on stands
Old 12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
2003z

Scott, put it in 6th gear and have someone stand on the brakes. Then put your jack handle over the breaker bar to get max leverage.

I actually broke a standard craftsman socket trying to get mine off and had to buy an air impact socket set to get it off (not with my impact wrench though, it wouldn't fit)
Old 12-29-2003, 02:38 PM
FLY BY Z

2003z, what is your pulley review? did you immed. notice it or is it something that you really have to listen/feel/look for? are the results outstanding?
Old 12-29-2003, 03:26 PM
CluelessZ

Hey Potato Head,

Did you finally buy the UR pulley(s)? I Think I'm gonna get me a set as well.

Are you planning on installing them yourself? If so, let me know so you can do 2 at once!

hehe.....I'm actually serious
Old 12-29-2003, 03:51 PM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by CluelessZ
Hey Potato Head,

Did you finally buy the UR pulley(s)? I Think I'm gonna get me a set as well.

Are you planning on installing them yourself? If so, let me know so you can do 2 at once!

hehe.....I'm actually serious
yes but it is being shipped to the dealership so I will be out of town when it goes on. if you want help on yours we can put it on sometime soon. i will be gone until the fifth and then sporadically in and out of town for the two following weeks. but PM me when you get it and we will install it.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
LiquidZee

sorry,
wrong thread.

Last edited by LiquidZee; 01-02-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:35 PM
MySunset350Z

what do you guys think about letting the dealership instal the pulley for you? yay or nay?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:21 PM
350ed
Professional

Anyone install the alternator pulley? I couldn't figure how to get it off since it just spins around. They say to remove the alternator entirely but you still need to secure it somehow to remove and tighten... I'm just running without it now.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:31 PM
spazpilot

Originally posted by 350ed
Anyone install the alternator pulley? I couldn't figure how to get it off since it just spins around. They say to remove the alternator entirely but you still need to secure it somehow to remove and tighten... I'm just running without it now.

One word "IMPACT" thats how i got it off. I had to uninstall the alternator and use an impact on it or take it to your local pep boys and they will swap it out for you.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:15 AM
dduck44

Yeah, that alternator pulley is just going to have to wait for quite some time, like when this one goes up and I've GOT to take it out, especially since it's too cold to be laying on the garage floor any time soon. Otherwise it's a pretty easy install.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:26 AM
FLY BY Z

Originally posted by MySunset350Z
what do you guys think about letting the dealership instal the pulley for you? yay or nay?
I had my dealer throw mine in while they did my S-Tune. They didn't even charge me and it took them about 20 minutes. They used a breaker bar and the 6th gear stand on the brakes method. Easy cheesy.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Hey Ya

Originally posted by zzzya
I have not seen the underside of the 6MT cars but on the auto there is an access panel to the flywheel that comes off on the drivers side. If you take that off you can insert a crowbar and stop the crank from spinning this way. Another option is to remove the starter on the passenger side and do the same thing. I installed the pulley myself on my Auto. Hope that helps.
Do you have a pic of this panel? I don't wanna take off the wrong thing and have stuff come spewing out.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:44 AM
FLY BY Z

shoveit is it a stick or auto?
Old 01-07-2004, 01:58 PM
zzzya

Originally posted by ShoveIt
Do you have a pic of this panel? I don't wanna take off the wrong thing and have stuff come spewing out.

Thanks.
Sorry I do not have a picture. I will try to remember to take one the next time I am under the car, which might be this weekend to change oil and filter.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
AznTwins1

So is there anything special that you have to do on the automatics to get the crank pulley off? It keeps spinning everytime i try to take off the bolt that is holding it in place. I know in the manuals you have to put it in 6th gear and step on the brakes really hard, but what about on the autos? Also I dont have the owners manual.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:53 PM
reen

I haven't done it on a Z, but on other cars here's the deal (and I've read the same here for the Z):

Near the bottom front of the tranny there's an access panel you can remove, exposing part of the flex plate (AT equivalent of a flywheel). There's a spot where you can use a prybar or something to constrain the flexplate (and thus the engine) from rotating while you remove the pulley.
Old 01-15-2004, 02:34 AM
zzzya

Originally posted by AznTwins1
So is there anything special that you have to do on the automatics to get the crank pulley off? It keeps spinning everytime i try to take off the bolt that is holding it in place. I know in the manuals you have to put it in 6th gear and step on the brakes really hard, but what about on the autos? Also I dont have the owners manual.
Reen is correct, the access panel is located on the drivers side half way up the housing. From the looks of it, it would be in the same location as the starter but on the opposite side. Maybe the right hand drive vehicle have the starter mounted on the left hand side and that is why that panel exists? Not sure, but I do know that is how I installed the Crank pulley on my 5AT. I was hoping to take a picture but haven't made it back under the car yet.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:20 AM
roark

Originally posted by 350ed
After I removed the alternator (yea, that was a bit of a chore) I just used an impact wrench to loosen and tighten the nut.

If you don't have one, or access to one, you can, very carefully, place a screwdriver through the casing and one of the holes in the fan body to hold the shaft in place while you loosen the nut. Just make sure not to drive the screwdriver too deep, as you could scratch the windings.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:23 AM
roark

Originally posted by AznTwins1
With a breaker bar long enough to touch the ground, just blip the starter and let the engine loosen the nut. From the front of the car, the breaker bar should be touching the ground at around the 4:30 o'clock position. It works every time.

Quick Reply: UR Crank Pulley Install