Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

UR Crank Pulley Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 08:06 PM
AznTwins1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i got the bolt off using roarks method. but now i cant get the crank pulley off the car. It wont even spin. I've taken the belts off the other pulleys too. Any tips on how to take the crank pulley off?
Old 01-15-2004, 09:44 PM
CluelessZ

Just got my crank pulley today from david @ 350zforums.org....

All these nightmare stories sure do make me nervous about installing this thing.

Of course, there were a lot of nightmare stories about changing your own oil the first time....Regarding the removal of the original stock Oil filter....Changed my oil 2 days ago..What a breeze. too many overly dramatic people i guess. Oil filter came right off with the right large *** wrench.
Old 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
z33boi

so does anyone know how to pull the crank pulley off...im also havin the same problem...i tried pulling and pryin it but it just wont move...reading the owner's manual doesnt seem to help one bit...after reading all the others who have done this, it sounds pretty easy...its one problem after another...if anyone can help please reply..thanx
Old 01-16-2004, 06:22 AM
Z4ToddB

I dunno...not sure why yours won't come off- I know once I got the bolt off mine, it basically just slipped right off and the new one slipped right on after aligning the spline. All I can suggest is to possibly (from the top of your engine bay) try and rock it side to side, then top to bottom and try to walk it off. Sorry I can't be more help, but this is the first that I've heard that someone couldn't get the pulley off AFTER getting the bolt off- Best a' luck 2 ya!
Todd
Old 01-16-2004, 06:58 AM
roark

Originally posted by AznTwins1
ok i got the bolt off using roarks method. but now i cant get the crank pulley off the car. It wont even spin. I've taken the belts off the other pulleys too. Any tips on how to take the crank pulley off?
The pulley won't spin because the the shaft is slotted and keyed (has a notch in it.) it has to come straight out. What happens in wet environments is that surface corrosion builds up between the crankshaft and the pulley, making it stick. You can spray the shaft with penetrating oil, let it sit for a few hours and try some more.

If that doesn't work, go to your local performance shop or automotive shop and rent a harmonic balancer puller. That's basically a metal plate with arms that attach to the outiside edge of the pulley, and a bolt like threaded rod in the middle. You attach this to your pulley and torque down the threaded rod against the shaft. it won't take much and the pulley will pop off.

Sorry you're having so much trouble. It will be worth it, and you'll know a bit more about your car.

Also, before you install the UR pulley, make sure to clean off the crankshaft with some medium steel wool, and you can apply a little anti-seize compound as well. The new pulley should slide on easily all the way to the stop. If it feels like it's binding, don't use the nut to try to wedge it further, clean the crank a bit more.

Good luck.
Attached Images  

Last edited by roark; 01-16-2004 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 AM
scubasteve

I installed my pulley last night. Well, 2 of the three at least. I think I will do the alternator pulley later when I have more time. I had an issue with the belts and remember reading something about this in the threads. UR apparently miscalculated the conversion between metric and standard sizes and then it is just a typo when they state the part # of the belt and referenct its actual size in standard. You see the 445, but state that it is 44.5 inches. I bought the Gatorback 445 and it fit perfect. The tensioner has lots of room to adjust. I had no problem at all with the crank bolt. I did the 6th gear thing with someone on the brakes, but I started right off with a 1/2 drive and an 18 inch steel pipe. It first loosened, and then it broke and I manually unthreaded it. Pulley was easy to take off and new one was easy also as long as you lubricate it first. I drove it a bit last night, but will test it more this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions for the alernator pulley? If it's too much of a pain in the ****, then maybe I'll just sell the stupid little thing. Is it worth that much trouble? I guess I'll have to see. Thanks to all og the guys that posted here about this before as it made my install very simple and painless.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
roark

Originally posted by scubasteve
...Anyone have any suggestions for the alernator pulley? If it's too much of a pain in the ****, then maybe I'll just sell the stupid little thing. Is it worth that much trouble? I guess I'll have to see. Thanks to all og the guys that posted here about this before as it made my install very simple and painless.
I spent the time to take out the alternator. That took forever, because of its location. I noticed after I took the thing out though, that there are places where the fan assembly passes by holes in the housing. You can use a #2 screwdriver through the fan into the housing hole to lock the armature while you break the bolt loose. Just don't stick the screwdriver all the way in, or you may scratch the insulation on the windings.

Good Luck
Old 02-06-2004, 01:12 PM
alex30327

I installed just the crank pulley last weekend. I was extremely easy to do. I was worried after reading posts on how hard it was, but for some reason mine took about 30 min., and was relatively simple. I had my wife press the brake while the car was in 6th gear, and with a 2ft. breaker bar just cranked off the bolt on the crank pulley. It took 20 seconds to get it off with the breaker bar. Also pulley popped off with ease with the help of my finger. It was harder getting the UR pulley on, than taking the stock one off.

Use the correct tools and follow Wad's DYI on this site and installing the UR pulleys is very easy to do.