Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Jwt clutch feel

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:40 PM
tw8715

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jwt clutch feel

Just installed the jwt clutch flywheel combo today with ss clutch line.

The pedal feel of the clutch is much softer!

Does that sound right? I thought it would be about the same amount of firmness as stock or stiffer.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Chris@FsP
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It should be a good bit more firm. Does it engage properly and drive okay?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:01 PM
tw8715

Yes it drives fine. But softer pedal feel then stock.

Any ideas??
Old 06-19-2010, 02:21 AM
tw8715

so many views and no onie knows??? help plz.

man i never knew the clutch noise was gonna be this bad. much louder then many other after market clutches.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:03 AM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air in the line?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:04 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

My JWT clutch and flywheel combo make quite a bit of noise. And the pedal feel is pretty firm when compared to a stock Z.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 PM
tw8715

yea i thought the noise was normal.

but the soft pedal i really dont get.

i first thought the shop might have messsed up and there was some air in the lines.. so the first thing i did was bleed the lines.

but that didnt change anything.

grrrrrr whats going on?!?!!
Old 06-19-2010, 02:47 PM
tw8715

help ~~~~~~~~
Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM
tw8715

Ttt
Old 06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
BristishZ

Man I have just spent the last few weeks taking the tranny in and out trying to figure stuff out. I have the competition clutch flywheel and clutch and it's lighter than stock. The car drives great and it does make alot of noise. I was worrying about it too, but after removing the tranny and discovering nothing is the matter, I have decided to just drive the car. I suggest the same. Of course be careful at the start and break it in, but worrying about it just makes it worse. I was sold that the clutch should be harder and the noise shouldn't be that loud, but after taking the tranny out I guess it's just the way it's supposed to be. Just drive it man.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
AcidJake75
Living in 350Z

my clutch is hard and stiff (I have the JWT clutch and FLY)... compared to stock its night at day..

How did you bleed the fluid?

Last edited by AcidJake75; 06-22-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:05 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like your stock clutch just got really stiff with age. Mine is so stiff it hurts, whereas the stock clutching is like pushing air, the JWT clutch Zs and Gs I have driven is somewhere in between.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:03 PM
joepro

I agree with dkmesa, I just installed an ACT hd clutch and prolite flywheel in my 03 and the clutch pedal is not as stiff as before, but i did not install the SS line, the OE one is too rusted. I was happy, I didnt want it any stiffer, any city driving before and my knee would hurt afterwards.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:16 PM
350Sp3nce

Default jwt clutch owned me

hey i was just reading your post

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...voir-swap.html

My leg has been seriously damaged from this clutch kit and I am wondering what to do. I had it done at the nissan dealer since my used 03 had a bad tranny when i bought it from them. The clutch it stiff as **** and my gearhead friends agree with me (not always ie: your just being a *****[usually mustang ***s]). Anyway, if their not following the steps that you list.... Any suggestions? Finding your post was a great find for me because I am about to build a case against that shop. If your steps were not followed exactly, would the clutch be stiff as hell?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
DaveSB

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe JWT offers more then one stage of pressure plate. When the diaphragm spring is replaced, it makes the clutch stiffer. If it's a lower stage pressure plate, they may just change the fulcrum points yeilding more plate load but not a stiffer pedal. I wouldn't worry about it if it works. Go through the break-in and put some power to it. If it holds, you're good.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:52 PM
350Sp3nce

Default dave

So, put my stock pressure plate in and should that take the load off? As far as breaking it in, the pdeal was squeaking and I took it in and they called me a *****. Last I checked Steel is stringer than than muscle. Is there a step that my mech may have made that really screwed it up? I totally get that it is supposed to be a little stiffer but jeez, its not a lambo or 100k supercar. I am selling my daily driver (stick) for an auto so i can keep the Z.

If it's a lower stage pressure plate, they may just change the fulcrum points yeilding more plate load but not a stiffer pedal.

http://www.importpartspro.com/jwthdclco03n.html

I got that combo, would it be smarter to chnage the fulcrum points (if my mech can do that) or put the old plate back in?

thanks dude
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM
DaveSB

Originally Posted by 350Sp3nce
If it's a lower stage pressure plate, they may just change the fulcrum points yeilding more plate load but not a stiffer pedal.

http://www.importpartspro.com/jwthdclco03n.html

I got that combo, would it be smarter to chnage the fulcrum points (if my mech can do that) or put the old plate back in?

thanks dude
I was refering to the inside of the pressure plate itself. Not many people have the ability to disassemble and reassemble a pressure plate, so I would doubt your mechanic can do what need to be done. What I had meant was that I am sure that if your clutch feels soft, JWT may have adjusted the pressure plate inside by adjusting the fulcrum points instead of changing the diaphragm spring. I'm sure it's an upgrade over stock.

Secondly, A clutch does get stiffer at the pedal as it wears out. So even buying a stock clutch will feel softer then the one in the car. Reason being is as a clutch wears the diaphragm spring raises twords the gearbox, that's normal. That's one reason the release point on the clutch pedal is closer to the top of the stroke when a clutch is worn out. That also means you have to push the diaphragm further to the release point where a new clutch will have a shorter distance before it's released.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:59 AM
superfreestyle

my first Z was an 03 touring with a stock clutch... it was pretty stiff for stock

the Z i have now is another 03 touring but with the JWT clutch/flywheel combo... not much diff than stock IMO

i could not imagine someone having a complaint about the stiffness of the JWT clutch setup

ive had 53 vehicles and this is one of the easiest aftermarket clutches to drive that ive ever had...

as for the noise, the only thing you can do to help it is run Redline MT-90 in it.... it will quiet it down a good bit, the stock dual mass flywheel is so heavy to reduce this problem.. what you are hearing is the input shaft chattering because the lighter flywheel isnt keeping the rotation as smooth as the stock dual mass one

if you grab an input shaft by hand and wiggle it back and forth, you will hear this same chatter, the toyota supras had this same issue...

its pretty much like this, you wanted a performance car with a performance trans, you got it... the sky is blue and you cant change it
Old 02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
dj lizard

will I have an 03 base jwt combo it's stiff and loud the thing is it all depends on the system bleeding and adjustment let the clutch to break in and then hammer that damn thing if it slips then there is something wrong in it if not then it's just a matter of you're being too careful or the pressure plat is soft.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:46 PM
DaveSB

Pretty much, some just feel soft. There isn't always a direct correlation between plate load and pedal effort. That's really only takes effect when the diaphragm spring is changed, but that's not the only way to increase clamping force in a clutch.

Quick Reply: Jwt clutch feel