Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rear differential bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM
ericjackson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason, you want to drive to memphis and help me out in about a week? thanks! ha, but seriously, I ordered my front translink whiteline bushings today as well as the solid SPL differential bushing from Kwame@z1Auto today. Great guy and really helped me out. But im wondering now from your post at the top, since i only got the rear solid bushing, will that affect my other bushings on the diff? whats the "dive board" effect you're talking about if you dont mind telling me. I can do the work all day long, but for some reason i never have understood suspension...

and my front bushings are as shot as yours were in your translink DIY thread where the arm is pushed forward and it has eaten through my front tire. i'll def be using that, thanks.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjackson
Jason, you want to drive to memphis and help me out in about a week? thanks! ha, but seriously, I ordered my front translink whiteline bushings today as well as the solid SPL differential bushing from Kwame@z1Auto today. Great guy and really helped me out. But im wondering now from your post at the top, since i only got the rear solid bushing, will that affect my other bushings on the diff? whats the "dive board" effect you're talking about if you dont mind telling me. I can do the work all day long, but for some reason i never have understood suspension...

and my front bushings are as shot as yours were in your translink DIY thread where the arm is pushed forward and it has eaten through my front tire. i'll def be using that, thanks.
Hey Eric, a pleasure speaking to you today...

The order you placed this afternoon included the complete SPL Solid Rear Differential Bushing set. The kit includes solid bushings for the front as well as the rear of the differential. Basically if it's a bushing and its directly attached to the diff, your kit will include a solid diff to replace the stock fluid filled one. The "dive board" effect that Jason is mentioning will not occur if you swap in all the bushings that is included. I hope that clears up any confusion you may have had.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:23 PM
ericjackson

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Hey Eric, a pleasure speaking to you today...

The order you placed this afternoon included the complete SPL Solid Rear Differential Bushing set. The kit includes solid bushings for the front as well as the rear of the differential. Basically if it's a bushing and its directly attached to the diff, your kit will include a solid diff to replace the stock fluid filled one. The "dive board" effect that Jason is mentioning will not occur if you swap in all the bushings that is included. I hope that clears up any confusion you may have had.

Aaahh I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. Hopfelly my problems will be solved. By all of this
Old 07-16-2010, 07:24 PM
ericjackson

Double post

Last edited by ericjackson; 07-16-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:46 PM
Russ's 350Z

Well if I need to change out all three, I will get the sub frame bushings also.....
Looks like a detailed upgrade.....
Can all the bushings be removed with a large C- clamp??
Thanks again for all the photo's & advice.

Oh, to just install a single center synthetic bushing.......if there was such a thing.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if the differential bushings are gone does that mean the subframe bushings are probably done too?
Old 07-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
So if the differential bushings are gone does that mean the subframe bushings are probably done too?
Not necessarily. It's just that it does not require that much more work to drop the rear subframe and replace the subframe bushings while you are replacing the differential bushings.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Like Z1 said, but if the car is driven hard or on the track (dragstrip included, for wheel hop reasons) it would be benificial.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:03 AM
Rdavis

I need help win mine anyone live in souther Cali that's done this message me 90621
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Dropping mine off tomorrow to get the subframe and diff bushings replaced. I opted to go for the SIKKY aluminum ones. I'd rather do this once and never have to worry about it again.
Plus it was way better than Nissan trying to screw me telling me the only choice was to replace the entire subframe for that one rear bushing for $1400.00.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:18 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You'll love the response and new found rigidity!
How is this dealership BS tolerated. Why is there no regulation against this!?
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Because post sale service is dealerships' largest profit center. Even greater than the car sales themselves.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I fully understand, but there should be some consumer protection. I guess the gubberment dips in the pot as well.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:31 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by WYZIWYG
Dropping mine off tomorrow to get the subframe and diff bushings replaced. I opted to go for the SIKKY aluminum ones. I'd rather do this once and never have to worry about it again.
Plus it was way better than Nissan trying to screw me telling me the only choice was to replace the entire subframe for that one rear bushing for $1400.00.
you will get a little more road noise (i did with my whiteline poly ones) but you will like it in the long run
Old 09-12-2014, 10:45 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 208 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
you will get a little more road noise (i did with my whiteline poly ones) but you will like it in the long run
Taking my car back to the 'stealership' tomorrow since my install guy doesn't perform alignments. Also need to investigate some 'squeaking' near the front driver's side of the car as well. Could be the control arm bushings, but who knows?

But as for the rear... If anyone reading this has blown their rear bushing out, do yourself a favor and go solid. Taking turns now is like night and day since it feels way more solid and no more wheel hop. It'd been unstable in the rear for so long I actually thought that's just how RWD cars were supposed to handle. The NVH inside the cabin is minimal at best. I've been running TP for a while and the SIKKY bushings only produce a slight 'whine' that's barely noticeable. It actually sounds kind of cool to me.

Now I'm wondering, where else can I eliminate the stock OEM bushings before they too eventually wear out? Could I run solid bushing up front as well? Already looking at some solid engine mounts from Injected Performance right now. Anyone else done solid all around for a DD??

BTW, this thread and alot of Jason's posts were very helpful in making this decision.