Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Coolant leak...from where?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coolant leak...from where?

I have had a coolant leak for quite some time now...ever since I got my built motor....it's not too bad and I add a gallon of coolant every 2 weeks but I really want to get it squared away...

The odd part is that it was leaving coolant stains on the driver side oil pan of the engine to the tranny area, but it doesn't leak unless the engine is running...I spent a day trying to isolate where the leak is coming from and I finally saw it dripping from an odd area under the engine (see pics)....

I checked the coolant pipes aound the thermostat area to the throttle body and they seem to be okay, could this be from the water pump leaking?
Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak...from where?-leak1.jpg   Coolant leak...from where?-leak2.jpg  

Last edited by 350z006; 07-23-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:15 PM
*Boose*

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I'd send it back to whoever built it.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:20 PM
ben0878

Have your cooling system pressure tested, chances are thats is a loose hose clamp.
But if your adding a gal of coolant every week or so threre could be a more serious problem. I would pressure check the cooling system and go from there....
Old 07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The water pump is on the front of the engine. Do the pressure test, and check around the water outlet that goes across the back of the cylinder heads. See here:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z-pa...5_736_739.html
Old 07-24-2010, 12:26 AM
GeauxLadyZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ben0878
Have your cooling system pressure tested, chances are thats is a loose hose clamp.
But if your adding a gal of coolant every week or so threre could be a more serious problem. I would pressure check the cooling system and go from there....
+1.

Do you have a/m hoses and clamps?

I just got through dealing with the same problem for weeks. Same drip during running, same location, very gradual loss of coolant.

Ill tell you the first place you should look for this leak: The lower rad hose where it connects into the thermostat/block. Check the integrity of that seal.

What happened with me is since the leak started, dried up coolant buildup(white powder substance) from the drip leak point at that hose connection was over time forming bumps between the hose and the metal thermo opening thereby breaking any chance of a proper seal. Even super tightening the clamp didnt work, it still gradually leaked.

I had to take hose off and take a brillo pad and carefully scrape the metal on thermo opening clean of the powder buildup bumps, then reattach the hose and tighten clamp. Then, walla, no more leak.

Last edited by GeauxLadyZ; 07-24-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow...really, from the lower rad hose the coolant leaked to the same general area as mine huh?

I did check the thermostat, and did try and tighten the hose out of the thermostat...I'll try and take that hose off and see if there is any residue that is messing up the seal...I would rather it be one of the hoses/clams outside the block than the water pump, because getting the water pump out would be tougher....

Originally Posted by GeauxLadyZ
+1.

Do you have a/m hoses and clamps?

I just got through dealing with the same problem for weeks. Same drip during running, same location, very gradual loss of coolant.

Ill tell you the first place you should look for this leak: The lower rad hose where it connects into the thermostat/block. Check the integrity of that seal.

What happened with me is since the leak started, dried up coolant buildup(white powder substance) from the drip leak point at that hose connection was over time forming bumps between the hose and the metal thermo opening thereby breaking any chance of a proper seal. Even super tightening the clamp didnt work, it still gradually leaked.

I had to take hose off and take a brillo pad and carefully scrape the metal on thermo opening clean of the powder buildup bumps, then reattach the hose and tighten clamp. Then, walla, no more leak.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 PM
BonesZ33

get a coolant pressure tester.. it puts pressure on the coolant system, just like as if the car was running.. That way you can search and search to see exactly where its coming from. or you can just leave the car on, but obviously you don't want to put your hand around a hot engine to search for a leak. There are hard coolant lines as well as rubber coolant lines on the drivers side of the engine, worst case it could be leaking from the headgasket. Water pump is in the front of the engine, so eliminate that possibililty.. Good luck