Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

New Transmission = New Problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New Transmission = New Problem?!

Just picked up my Z from Nissan after they replaced my transmission for a new one and forced me into a new clutch. Fine I'll go for it. I was happy they were replacing it with a new one.

Picked up the car and the first thing i notice was the shifter pointing downward as if it were in 4th gear. Okay turn the car on and the clutch is very low now and launches very quickly compared to my Exedy. In any event I feel like all the lower gears 2nd, 4th, and 6th. I have to push it in harder then normal. And it even popped out of 2nd.

Is this normal for a new transmission to feel this tight, and leaning back. The car shifter looks like its in neutral when its in 3rd?!

Any advice before I bring it back to Nissan is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
RedBullRR

word...
Old 07-28-2010, 01:32 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like they might not have reinstalled the shift mechanism properly. Don't waste any time taking it back to have it fixed. Popping out of gear can really mess things up inside.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:17 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you get a "new" transmission??? sounds like you striker rod detents are not installed incorrectly... the shifter plate adjustment really only affects 5th and 6th gears... I don't want "throw a dart in the dark" but it is a serious concern and needs to be fixed immediately!!!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:51 AM
RedBullRR

Yeah its a "NEW" transmission its very tight. Brought it back to the dealer today. I told them its popped out of 2nd a few times and hard to shift into the gears when its off centered like that. Hopefully they have it resolved today. **** I brought the car in for a bad Crank Position Sensor and haven't had my car in 2 weeks now.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to have them check the transmission fluid. Had my transmission replaced a couple of months ago, and had a hard time shifting into gear - took alot of effort.

After failing to convince the dealer (Infiniti) that there was a problem, I decided to change the fluid myself (I thought maybe it was low). Turns out it was overfilled. Collected about 4 quarts of trans fluid, when the recommended amount was about 3.25 quarts IIRC.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
RedBullRR

wow that's crazy. Just got a call from Nissan, they said yeah sorry about that it was completely off centered we had someone else come in to take a look and its been repaired, sorry for the inconvenience.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:24 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoom750
You might want to have them check the transmission fluid. Had my transmission replaced a couple of months ago, and had a hard time shifting into gear - took alot of effort.

After failing to convince the dealer (Infiniti) that there was a problem, I decided to change the fluid myself (I thought maybe it was low). Turns out it was overfilled. Collected about 4 quarts of trans fluid, when the recommended amount was about 3.25 quarts IIRC.
Thats nuts, and impossible
Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
dirtbikr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoom750

LIES
Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 AM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Thats nuts, and impossible
???
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 PM
johnwigs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

off centered??? the trans there is dowel pins to line it up... I know there are morons at the dealer but come on!!! or the shifter plate??? still more moron monkeys... that is why I am leaving the dealer... Im tired of working with Jerry's kids!!!