Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Yes, another auto to 6 speed swap thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 PM
abushong504

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, another auto to 6 speed swap thread

Alright guys, please don't bash me but here goes...

Long story short, there is a 350z that I am getting a lot of parts from. I am swapping motors and going for big power (500+). However, I have the 5AT in my car. I would prefer putting in a 6speed instead of building the auto tranny.

The parts car is a 6 speed. It has full everything that a 6 speed Z has OEM. However, everything is fully built on it, (clutch, flywheel, etc.)

I also have a Haltech PnP ECU on my car now.

Does anyone know the problems associated with the swap? Basically the main thing I am concerned about is the wiring. Even though I have the Haltech, the stock ECU is still connected. Would it be feasible to swap the ECU from the 05 6 speed with my 06 Auto ECU? I can pretty much control everything else with the Haltech. I could also swap gauge clusters and have the odometer re-progromed to what my car currently has. Would this cause issues?

I have searched on the forums for information on it and people just say it's not worth the price. But, since I have every single part necessary, I just don't really know what would be needed, or if anything would cause major problems.

I am not interested in trading in the car or selling it for a 6speed. It's either swap or built I suppose. The ladder is not what I would like to do.

Like I said, any information at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 PM
SoldzMyZ

Just build the auto... Honestly if you are asking this question its gonna be more complicated and costly in the long run... If you are some auto/wiring guru and you do for a living, then hack up you car but its not gonna be a simple hey i'll swap this to that...

I had an auto eclipse back in the day and I too contemplated doing a manual swap... I just fessed up to the notion that my next car will be a 6 speed, and with the Z, i did that.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 PM
Tian

Saw this on driver recently
http://g35driver.com/forums/picture-...-progress.html
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

http://www.paladinadvancedauto.com/ is doing the swap on Canadians car
Old 07-31-2010, 07:20 AM
duro78

Half way through you'll wish you traded it in and got a 6 speed
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 AM
hwcustoms

Yes, if you have all the parts it can be done. Where most people get frustrated is finding parts. If you have a complete donor car there should be no problem there.

I would start off by reviewing the shop manuals of both the automatic and the manual. This will give you an indication of what parts are needed to be put on your car. Plus you can cross refrence both wiring diagrams.

You will have to swap the cluster, swap the interior harness, the engine harness, swap the ecu, swap the center console, install a shifter and linkage, swap brake pedals, hang your clutch pedal, install a clutch master cylinder, and run all your clutch fluid lines.

Since your swaping full drive trains it will be somewhat easier for you. Once the motor and tranny are out, swapping the engine harness won't be that bad. Interior harness might be a chore though.

I am not sure about drive shaft length and connection, but they should be the same.

Hope this helps some, but I can't stress enough to go get the shop manuals and start researching before you take the plunge.

I love projects like this, but you just have to realize the down time that will be involved unless you pay big money to have the project turned around quickly.

Last edited by hwcustoms; 07-31-2010 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:37 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like a nightmare depending on your skill level. I would just build the auto.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:03 AM
ashtrojan2008

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are the production dates of both of the cars? are they rev ups? if one is and one isn't you are going to have to swap the ecu and harness anyway. Harnesses and ecu are different. Its funny that you have those particular years, in both cases may or may not be a rev up.

ross