Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:46 PM
Z8M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..

Alright guys, hold your horses. This is not made by any big name manufacturers, only by me . I used ABS plastic pipes from Home Depot. Start off with 4" funnel pipe then tapers to 3" all the way up to the airbox. It took a lot of measuring, repositioning, and cutting of the pipes to make the right bends and angle. Basically trial and error and loads of frustrations.
Here's the full set-up.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-033.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Z8M

The key piece is this. I used the plastic stock funnel as a mold to create a fiberglass piece to connect a 3' pipe to the airbox.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-026.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Z8M

Then the bumper came off to get a better access. This is the whole set-up without the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-020.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Z8M

close-up pic.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-019.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:02 PM
USMC-Z
Z Veteran

Wouldn't that be widely succeptable to waterlock? Doesn't seem that there are any protection features of water entering through there. But then again, the bumper might cover it up.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:05 PM
Z8M

and another..
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-021.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:09 PM
Z8M

finished photo with the ram..
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-023.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM
Z8M

Oh, and you need to cut out this piece for the ram to go through.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-016.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:28 PM
Z8M

Close-up of the ram...
Ok, did I do a dyno with this set-up?..No, that's why I'm not going to give any #hp gain. Is there a difference? Compare to Nismo CAI my butt says YES, more responsive @ 2500 rpm and up. The car feels lighter at highway speeds, effortless acceleration (can't find the right description). The sound is well, like stock quiet, but my girlfriend noticed a higher pitch humm. I didn't notice any.
Attached Thumbnails RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..-pics-from-camcorder-022.jpg  
Old 11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Z8M

Originally posted by krnlikewh0a
Wouldn't that be widely succeptable to waterlock? Doesn't seem that there are any protection features of water entering through there. But then again, the bumper might cover it up.
I live in California, hardly ever rains here. Even if it does, it'l take me a minute to take it off, no big deal..
Old 11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im not a major in gas dynamics, but Im thinking that can not help... the bends are too sharp, if anything its like sucking a drink through a crazy straw, instead of a short straight one...

sorry, cool idea, but I just doubt its effectiveness. bends and angles need to be precisely shaped as to enhance the flow of air; not positive that injen and AEM do this perfectly, but it has god to be better than that...

just my 2cents.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:40 PM
xZlr8

Default Cool

I think it's cool. I love it when people try different things in lieu of spending big $$$ on aftermarket junk. I'd do this if i weren't thinking of selling my car. One thing i've noticed about this site is that it's rare that someone gets helpful advice or praise for their work, but members sure are fast to shoot off negative remarks about someone's project. Good work.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Z8M

Default Re: Cool

Originally posted by xZlr8
I think it's cool. I love it when people try different things in lieu of spending big $$$ on aftermarket junk. I'd do this if i weren't thinking of selling my car. One thing i've noticed about this site is that it's rare that someone gets helpful advice or praise for their work, but members sure are fast to shoot off negative remarks about someone's project. Good work.
Thanks man, much appreciated. Yes, I'm no in expert in gas dynamics myself but I figure if somebody can use corrugated dryer vent pipes with duct tapes and still gain something, then a uniform 3" pipe should do better. Hey, if there's no ram effect then it still a CAI, right?
Old 11-13-2003, 06:59 PM
ares
Veteran

hey dont take what I said too literally, maybe it does help, just my 2cents.

hell, toss it on a dyno, prove me wrong, and then start sellin it. heh Ill buy one even.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 PM
ares
Veteran

also for the hydrolock thing, if the water got in there, the engine can either pull water or air, it is MUCH easier to suck up the air of course, its lighter. even if some droplets manage to make it up, it takes more than a few drops to break anything. if it was submerged however, its no worse off than any other intake setup.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:08 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's essentially a home made CAI. Same principle as the Gruppe-M intake and almost the same design but using the stock airbox. You should try and make a scoop which would open up the bottom feeeder a bit more. Why not put it on the dyno as ares suggested? You never know
Old 11-13-2003, 07:11 PM
ZedZed

How are you going to accurately dyno a RAM AIR setup?

Probably why you notice a difference above 2500RPM, the car is MOVING and the ram air is in effect.

Nice job!
Old 11-13-2003, 08:37 PM
mgl

looks very professional....clean cuts and everything. nice job. all i did to my stock intake was remove that plastic piece behind the grille (where you cut a circle) and i think more air flow would go into the stock box. didn't create a lower tube like did, but now you got me thinking........
hmmm.................................
Old 11-13-2003, 08:49 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by ZedZed
How are you going to accurately dyno a RAM AIR setup?

Probably why you notice a difference above 2500RPM, the car is MOVING and the ram air is in effect.

Nice job!
isn't that what they use the large fan in front of the car for?? or is that just to keep the car cool?? i wouldn't know...never dyno'd my car.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:56 PM
ares
Veteran

its for both, but of course you cant simulate 60MPH winds. even so, the stock airbox gets the same flow, youll notice the path your pipe takes is the exact same path the air would naturally take. and as such, the stock setup has been shown to be pressurized at high speeds. albeit very little, another possible reason why even profesionally done CAI are getting very little hp if any, stock setup is near perfect.

Quick Reply: RAM air set-up for the stock airbox..