Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Why modify?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 12:05 PM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why modify?

I have modified and spent about $7K so far.

I have seen that other post about where others have posted their $$ in mods-some as high as $30K!!! Yet, not in the performance category as a Z06.

I know, I know, flame time. But really, why are we willing to spend so much money to increase performance to match and/or exceed the Z06 and end up paying more for for the mods that we would have for the Z06?

Furthermore, after all the mods, our warranty is voided.

It just seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

I'm asking because I was getting caught-up in the mod mentality, but when I realized how much I already spent, I realized that for an additional 8K more, I would have had a Z06 without the first year bugs.

And after bolt-ons, TT, SC, or TC, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, new gearing, lighter fly wheels, pully's etc., I'll be way over the price of the Z06 stock, yet within same ballpark of performance but probably less reliability.

So I asked myself if I really wanted to pay another 30K to match the performance of the Z06 (which, by the way, is truly an incrediable car), or save money by selling the Z, and saving up to get a Z06.

Sounds like heresy, but it's a practical, monetary question.

I couldn't answer the question, so I pose it to you.

Do you think it's really worth it to invest all this in the Z and end up using more money at the end?

Is it the Z's heritage that some follow?

Is it dislike for domestics?

Hate for Z06?

Belief in reliability of the Z despite mods?

This is my first sports car. I have no brand loyalty (but I do love the Z!), just want best bang for buck, good reliablity, and overall good quality and value.

I plan to use the car as my daily driver and for occasional track/autox events. And if I get good/serious enough, maybe SCCA license.

So these are the questions. In particular, I would like to here from those involved directly in motorsports (AKA Raceboy, BJ at 350evo, etc..). But all comments appreciated.

Again, I think the Z is a great car, yet I like most sports cars for the performance and secondarily looks.

thanx for all responses.

PS no flames as my intentions are to learn and understand, not to diminish the Z in any way.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:40 PM
FLY BY Z

If I bought a ZO6 I would modify that, too. It isn't about trying to match the specs of a different car, it's about making the car you bought as good as it can be and exactly how you want it to look, drive, etc. I bought the Z over an 03 Cobra. I went with the Z for the overall package. I think it looks great, has good performance potential and will last a long time. The Vette and the Cobra will both poop out before (most) Zs. We have Nissan as well as Ford and Chevy dealerships so I am not biased to one make or the other. The Z just appealed to me more than the others when I considered all factors. Modifying a car is not congruent with the car you start with. Just look at all the modified Civics and Cavaliers. Some of those people could have probably gotten a Z for the amount they have spent on their car. I bought a car that I love and change it into what I love more. I am not changing it into a Vette or anything else. There is always something faster. I haven't done any cosmetic mods because I love the Z's lines as they are. I may do a couple subtle changes like debadging and such but no bodykits, etc. Anyways, you get my point.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:44 PM
iLLestJrz

I'm not trying to beat or race or outperform a ZO6. I do it 'cause it's a hobby.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:15 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by iLLestJrz
I'm not trying to beat or race or outperform a ZO6. I do it 'cause it's a hobby.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:01 PM
350Z_Redline

'cause I can . I will probably never keep any vehicle I own stock. The bike, yep she's modded too
Old 11-15-2003, 02:11 PM
WeFlyTonight

something to do
Old 11-15-2003, 03:21 PM
pimp1911

I just want to bring out the full potential of my car. If you fell in love with the stock version of your car imagine how you feel with a few modifications nothing too major though because there is a fine line between streetability and raceability (made up words i know) I am not trying to step up and compete with Z06's. Just enjoy my car.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Jason@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

z06 is a different class of car just like compairing the sti with the z.

i mod my car for me, not to compete with others but to get the most out of my car i can. with every mod it is like a new car all over again.

you are in cali. come to performance nissan we will take care of you and your mods.

we will hopefully be an installer for the dream works supercyarger.

sorry about spelling. posting from cell phone waiting for my food to get here
Old 11-15-2003, 05:14 PM
Nismobilized

Z looks better than the Z06 neways. besides i havent even considered the Z until i saw you guys putting deep dish rear wheels on it. i dont know but since then my eyes slowly follow a Z when one passes by while my passenger yells "look at the road, you idiot!"

:-)
Old 11-15-2003, 06:28 PM
EL Diablo

sounds to me you wish you had the Vette.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:34 PM
uro279

Originally posted by EL Diablo
sounds to me you wish you had the Vette.
No, I'm just inquiring. Please don't read into what I'm saying. As I said in my initial post, I love the Z, I'm just trying to learn why "ME" and others are willing to spend so much on a car.

Having said that, the Z06 is a phenomenal car-I doubt anyone would deny. Furthermore, as I originally stated, I do find the Z06 a great value, like the Z.

Thanx to all who responded. I try to get the most value I can at all times. However, now understand why I got 'caught-up' with the mod bug to begin with-just because I like it and want to get the most of this car as I can. This you cannot put a price on.

thanx for helping me answer this question.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:38 PM
uro279

BTW, I put up the Z06 as an example because I thought it was the best one to compare to.

Again, you answered my question.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:40 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Modding a car is not logical in that it is a poor investment. Some can say falling in love with a woman is not logical too.

I guess we are just fools. I am having fun though....
Old 11-15-2003, 10:00 PM
uro279

cool. best 'reason' so far
Old 11-15-2003, 10:08 PM
350Now

This is a deep question that is hard to generalized. In my views to some modding to get the right amount of performance, the get that certain look, to get the certain ride, and to others it's just a hobby. In the end, it's the whole journey of modding that makes it worth it. As long as you enjoy it and have fun.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:34 PM
Aly D.

It doesn't matter, because once you get the Z06 you will mod that anyway.
I said the same thing when I had my ITR. I said "why waste my time modding this car when I can buy an E46 M3".

Guess what, I bought the M3 and am now going into debt to modify it lol.

This is a passion. No matter what you do, and no matter how much you resist, you will continue to modify a car.

The only upside to this is that M3 parts cost an arm and a leg...well I don't know if thats good, or bad lol
Old 11-16-2003, 04:59 PM
azrael

I suppose the modding thing is fun just as a hobby..

but you're right.. realistically, the Z06 is probably a better platform to start from, both because it's already ridiculously fast, but also because the LS1/6 lends itself to modification. Getting a lot of power out of the LS1/6 is easy compared to the VQ. Displacement is never a bad thing..

In my case, I'm shooting to make the car so fast, that doing so would cost a ton no matter what car I started with.. so it just didn't matter. I'd rather have a very fast car that people assume is slow.. I'm not out for attention.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Rama

You know I hear the same thing with my B14. why mod a car that has x amount of miles on it and only 1.6 liters of displacement. Well nissan didn't maximize this car to its potential when they released it. So I'll do it myself. I'm going to do the same thing when I get my 350. I'm going to do the same thing with any car ever. It's not my car until I tweak it the way I want it. No matter what I have. There is always going to be something that is better than what you have so personally for me I don't care if I could have bought something else faster from the beginning because if I wanted that car I would have bought that car.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:49 AM
nonmature

Default Re: Why modify?

Originally posted by uro279
I have modified and spent about $7K so far.

I have seen that other post about where others have posted their $$ in mods-some as high as $30K!!! Yet, not in the performance category as a Z06.

I know, I know, flame time. But really, why are we willing to spend so much money to increase performance to match and/or exceed the Z06 and end up paying more for for the mods that we would have for the Z06?

Furthermore, after all the mods, our warranty is voided.

It just seems like a lose-lose situation to me.

I'm asking because I was getting caught-up in the mod mentality, but when I realized how much I already spent, I realized that for an additional 8K more, I would have had a Z06 without the first year bugs.

And after bolt-ons, TT, SC, or TC, suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, new gearing, lighter fly wheels, pully's etc., I'll be way over the price of the Z06 stock, yet within same ballpark of performance but probably less reliability.

So I asked myself if I really wanted to pay another 30K to match the performance of the Z06 (which, by the way, is truly an incrediable car), or save money by selling the Z, and saving up to get a Z06.

Sounds like heresy, but it's a practical, monetary question.

I couldn't answer the question, so I pose it to you.

Do you think it's really worth it to invest all this in the Z and end up using more money at the end?

Is it the Z's heritage that some follow?

Is it dislike for domestics?

Hate for Z06?

Belief in reliability of the Z despite mods?

This is my first sports car. I have no brand loyalty (but I do love the Z!), just want best bang for buck, good reliablity, and overall good quality and value.

I plan to use the car as my daily driver and for occasional track/autox events. And if I get good/serious enough, maybe SCCA license.

So these are the questions. In particular, I would like to here from those involved directly in motorsports (AKA Raceboy, BJ at 350evo, etc..). But all comments appreciated.

Again, I think the Z is a great car, yet I like most sports cars for the performance and secondarily looks.

thanx for all responses.

PS no flames as my intentions are to learn and understand, not to diminish the Z in any way.
you want to know what I have bought performance wisae for my Z

an upgraded nitrous system from my old one, an exhaust, and an intake... and I'm guessing I'll be down in the low 13's with a 125 - 150 shot all for under a grand

-non

and oh ya I'm with Potato head on this one too if I had a Z06 I would mod that too...
Old 11-17-2003, 02:22 AM
little_rod

On the women bit, don't you wish you could mod your women like you can your car sometimes (other than fake stuff), lol.

Anyway, I mod to personalize my car to my personal tastes. Sure, Nissan put out a nice car, but there are some things that I would love to add to the car to make it even better. I am not one to just throw money down the drain just to change something. I got better rims, cause I wanted a better look. I want to upgrade my stereo cause I like my system to sound good.

As far as performance, that is a different thing, and that is really what you are talking about. Do you like to hang corners?? Well tighten up the suspension. Do you like to be nailed to your seat?? Well then get more speed. Above all, do what makes you happy.

I was asked a similar question by a friend, why do you want to change your car?? Then I made it easier for him in his relm, why would you want a M3, just buy a 3-series. Why buy an M5, when you could just have a 5-series. Why do you have to accept what the manufactor makes and that is it?? If your personal tastes demand more, then it is your right to satisfy that demand.

Last edited by little_rod; 11-17-2003 at 02:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Why modify?