Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Wheel Hop during Burnouts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:49 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop during Burnouts?

This may be the wrong place to post this but I am sure other people get wild rear wheel hop when doing a burn out, I DO BAD and can't stand it, basically makes it so I cant do a burn out. Does anybody have a solution to this problem????

thxs in advance!
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Hop during Burnouts?-car.jpg  

Last edited by CaLiFoRnIaZ; 11-18-2003 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:52 PM
azrael

It's not a poorly designed rear end. That couldn't be further from the truth. Nissan simply didn't design for drag racing.

The Z's IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) is designed for minimal body roll and performance in cornering, etc.. not for burnouts and launches.

Either way, unless you're running drag slicks, you don't need to be doing burnouts anyway. Burnouts actually degrade the performance of regular DOT street tires.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:56 PM
twenzel

I dont think he was looking for a lecture on his driving habits but the problem can be solved. Maybe a coilover setup would help I dunno.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:58 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default umm

Originally posted by azrael
It's not a poorly designed rear end. That couldn't be further from the truth. Nissan simply didn't design for drag racing.

The Z's IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) is designed for minimal body roll and performance in cornering, etc.. not for burnouts and launches.

Either way, unless you're running drag slicks, you don't need to be doing burnouts anyway. Burnouts actually degrade the performance of regular DOT street tires.

ok you don't know, thxs!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:04 PM
Z Powered

Traction bars...JIC maybe...?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Glasgow Smile
dat title

Maybe post this in the suspension forum?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:07 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Default umm

Originally posted by Z Powered
Traction bars...JIC maybe...?

when you burnout can you burn out a 15 foot patch and not get any wheel hop, mine did it the day i got it from the dealer, just worst now with the extra power.......
Old 11-18-2003, 02:35 PM
azrael

yup, you nailed it.. I have no clue what I'm talking about.

just curious... why do you need to lay down a 15 ft patch of rubber?
Old 11-18-2003, 02:49 PM
nigevellie

to buy new tires?
Old 11-18-2003, 03:48 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

well................because it is fun??......my dad is 62 years old and got a 03 e55 and i tell you.............he likes to burn a 15 foot patch out in our business park...............tires are not my concern, if they go bald buy new ones..........and i didnt say i needed to lay a 15ft patch, its just fun once in awhile goofing around but with the way the car is now, your rear end would fall off before you ever got to 15 feet..............

This is about "if anybody knows how to fix the problem when burning rubber", not why "are you burning rubber".............if nobody has this worry or problem then just don't post a reply......but if someone has constructive ideas to fix my problem, then GREAT I thank you for your help...............-Kevin
Attached Thumbnails Wheel Hop during Burnouts?-350z.jpg  
Old 11-18-2003, 04:40 PM
CottonWoodz

Try lowering your PSI in the tires?
Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let those dumbos get to you guy. Burn outs are ok. Start out with a little roll maybe 5-10 mphs depress the clutch and bring the motor up to 1900-2300 rpms and let out the clutch quickly. The Z suspension does not have leaf springs like old muscle cars so burn outs need a little more finesse. Practice the rolling burn out by bringing up the rpms a little higher each time until you get the desired results. That should eliminate most of the wheel hop. Then once you get the feel of it you should be able to do them from a stop. Please be safe and keep out of traffic when doing this though. Also, make sure your tires are at 35 psi.

Last edited by zillinois; 11-18-2003 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:02 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT
Premier Member

Drive it like you've gone mad!!!!!!

Check the tire pressure. I slide the rear end around virtually every corner and burnout whenever I feel the need - its the only way to drive!
Old 11-18-2003, 07:05 PM
CaLiFoRnIaZ

Originally posted by zillinois
Don't let those dumbos get to you guy. Burn outs are ok. Start out with a little roll maybe 5-10 mphs depress the clutch and bring the motor up to 1900-2300 rpms and let out the clutch quickly. The Z suspension does not have leaf springs like old muscle cars so burn outs need a little more finesse. Practice the rolling burn out by bringing up the rpms a little higher each time until you get the desired results. That should eliminate most of the wheel hop. Then once you get the feel of it you should be able to do them from a stop. Please be safe and keep out of traffic when doing this though. Also, make sure your tires are at 35 psi.

I wish that this did fix the problem, but i do beleive it is because it is a cheap suspension in the rear somehow..............aint no way a exotic would wheel hop, camero's, mustangs sometimes, etc will, due to the cost you pay for the vehicle. Trust me I am a very experienced driver, i am 32 years old for crist sake.............anyways thxs........
Old 11-18-2003, 07:33 PM
spazpilot

I don't have the wheel hop problem on burn outs.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:39 PM
vfr350

I get wheel hop bad sometimes, even when I was at the strip. I had an 85 200sx with the independent rear set-up, did the EXACT same thing, with far less power. I just live with it....
Old 11-18-2003, 09:02 PM
Scanman

I'm very surprised this thread didnt get the response it deserved.
I mean come on folks, half the fun of owning a powerfull car is being able to do a decent burn-out without looking like a jackass doing it.

Nothing worse than dumping the clutch and "boom boom boom"....
massive wheel hop, real impressive for a hot car.

Come on guys, were's the suspension problem?

And dont tell me to buy a Camaro. Already had one, 2000 z28. Burnout par exellance'.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:56 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends on the surface whether it show up, also maybe temp, and just luck of the draw.

however as for the cure. bushings, suspension bushing, engine mount bushings, everything, need to be tighter. a new suspension can help, different tires(he is right, the stock tread is designed to not "slip" but instead grab even after traction is lost. )

none the less, you shouldnt do it but thats where youd start to solve it. I dont think half that stuff is even available to buy tho.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:30 AM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense meant California. I just haven't had any problem with wheel hop at the track or on the street. I've done 13 runs in a row at a quarter mile track with launches between 1800-3500 rpm with zero wheel hop.

I'm not sure how to address the charge of cheap suspension. What do you want from your suspension is a more productive approach. The suspension performs admirably at the track for a stock car. I think that rules out the possiblity of it being cheap. Ford Fiestas have cheap suspension. The reason an "exotic" won't wheel hop is because the suspensions, until recently, were built solely with cornering and traction in mind. They were stiff, like riding in an ox cart. If you really want to eliminate wheel hop put stiffer springs and shock/struts combo with traction/camber bars. Of course without electronically adjustable suspension or some other way of easing up the stiffness you will lose your spleen over every bump. So its a trade off. Softer suspension equals softer ride and less performance. Also, a typical exotic costs $100,000 dollars more than our cars. An exotic car is not a good reference point when trying to determine whether your suspension is cheap or not.

If you don't want to do that, here is an old muscle car trick. Make or find a metal bracket that will hold your favorite 1 gallon container of liquid bleach. Get a fish tank style water pump, rubber hose, electric switch and some zip ties. Find a mounting point for the bracket, mount a valve through the plastic cap of the bleach container, connect the hose from the valve to the water pump, then run the hose lines from the pump to the tires. With zip ties, aim the end of the hose where the rubber meets the road. Then hook up the switch somewhere on the inside of your car and run it to the pump. When you want to do burnouts just press the switch and let 'em rip. You will get big impressive blue smoky burnouts! Do not blame me if anything bad happens though ok?

Last edited by zillinois; 11-19-2003 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:07 AM
azrael

I didn't mean to come off like a jackass. If you really want to do burnouts, I suppose that's your perogative. I don't think they're all that impressive, but that's just me. Most people I've seen doing burnouts came off as idiots trying to put off a show.. but I guess it's not my place to judge you.

The real problem I have with what you're saying is that you're claiming the car has a "cheap suspension" just because it's not made for burnouts. I've seen absolutely no evidence to suggest that the Z's suspension is cheap. It's just not designed for this application. The leaf spring setup you see on Corvettes helps eliminate the wheel hop you seeing. However, the people who track their Vettes end up going with a fully independent coil-over-shock setup like ours (but stiffer). There is a trade-off there. Nissan chose a suspension better for cornering, rather than launches and burnouts. Realistically, if burnouts and drag racing are your cup of tea, the Z might not have been the best choice... but if you want to spend some cash, you can adapt the suspension for whatever goals you choose.

Anyway, sorry to be rude. Good luck correcting your wheel hop issue.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hop during Burnouts?